PDA

View Full Version : My First Quality Handsaw

Mark ten Haaf
11-16-2011, 5:47 PM
Well, it was only a matter of time. I decided that I'm not afraid of the slippery slope of saws, so I got started. I picked up the Veritas 14 ppi carcass saw so I can get started joining my bench to its legs.I'm very excited to start looking for vintage saws, but I don't quite know where to start.Can anyone offer some advice on reading material, or have experience that you would like to share? Thanks!

Chris Griggs
11-16-2011, 5:52 PM
Practice sawing. Use your saw in a project. Get to know what you like, and think about what you want in other saws. Then go saw shopping, then practice some more, build another project using your saws. Repeat.

That's the best advice I can offer. I don't know much about the vintage saw market, others here do, and are sure to chime in. Congrats! Have fun with your saw.

Peter Pedisich
11-16-2011, 5:55 PM
Go to WIA 2012, and sign up for Ron Herman's class. Or watch his video. He was very helpful in teaching what to look for without crossing paths with the collector folks.

Sandy and Walt get nice saws for great prices, and Acharya here on this forum sells super sharp saws.

Mark Harrel at Bad Axe gets first rate vintage saws and he does the evaluation to make sure it's a winner for a few more $$$ - when you receive one of Mark's vintage saws you can start cutting as soon as the package is open

Also - check out Matt's saw blog.

Mike Holbrook
11-16-2011, 9:13 PM
There is tons of information on this forum. Also WK Fine Tools.com has tons of articles, history....I just got a copy of Hand Tool Essentials and it covers hand saws pretty thoroughly.

Chris Vandiver
11-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Daryl Weir is also a very good resource. You can find him here; http://home.grics.net/~weir/Old_SAWS_Restored.html

David Weaver
11-17-2011, 12:16 PM
or have experience that you would like to share?

Be patient on vintage tools, try to get tools you'd like for a price that won't kill you if you determine later that you don't like them. Pay attention to the details you like when you do start to get them, buying and selling, unless you get them for $3 at a flea market, will likely cost you in the end, more than getting what you want the first time and being patient.

Personally, I like english saws and older US made saws with a pattern closer to the english saws, but everyone has their preferences. Use ebay completed sales as a highest-price you'd pay for a saw that has not been professionally restored if you're looking at saws and see prices somewhere. Pay no attention to the fixed price sellers on ebay, they are in outer space somewhere. I have seen many pitted saws for $100+ that I wouldn't give anything for, and that extends to tools other than saws.

Saw a funjii plane on ebay earlier today (one that was $65 from JWW until they just recently stopped selling them) for $179 with the antique dealer talking it up to be a fine japanese tool. Buyer beware.

Also, life will be easier if you are flexible and willing to learn a little bit of restoration and sharpening. It'll teach you what to stay away from without having to pay a premium saw price to get restored saws.

Mike Holbrook
11-17-2011, 12:43 PM
I have won auctions for three hand/panel saws over the last several weeks. All three of the saws I bought were not the popular names, although they may well be made by one of the larger more popular name companies. I am in the process of restoring the first saw I bought, also the one in the worst condition. The restoration process has been simpler and easier than for many of the old tools I have purchased. The best deals often come on the saws people do not know as much about and the saws that the seller labels in some way that makes them hard to find, so as David says take a little time to learn how the auctions work and you will get more for your time & money. Although I have no problem buying off brands that I believe to be of equal quality I shy away form sellers who do not make customary, needed information & good pictures available. If I like the item and think I may know more about it than the seller I may drop them a message to try and get more info. that I can base a bid on. Also check shipping prices. Some sellers inflate the shipping by adding handling fees etc. Some less expensive items cost more than average once the shipping is added in. Then there are some who offer free shipping.

Mark ten Haaf
11-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks for your tips, Chris. I couldn’t wait to get home and make my first cuts.
Peter - Thank you for pointing me in a great direction. I have checked out the Bad Axe saws, and I hope to be able to afford one someday. For now, I must practice contentment!
Mike – Thanks to you also for the direction. I am very interested in learning how to sharpen and maintain my own tools. I’m happy to hear that is simpler than expected. I’m a bit overwhelmed with some of the terms and concepts at this moment, but I hope to catch on quickly. I had the same reservations when first reading about hand plane tuning and maintenance, so I imagine that it will be an enjoyable learning process.
Dave – I appreciate the words of caution. Yes, I am willing to learn sharpening and restoration techniques. I hope to pick up an extremely cheap saw that I can practice on to avoid ruining a decent one.
I appreciate all the feedback gentlemen. It is of great value.

Mike Holbrook
11-18-2011, 8:55 AM
Mark I thought I would mention one other option to you. Wenzloff & Sons make saw kits which contain a plate, sawn out handle and the bolts to attach handle to plate. If the saw needs a back the kit contains that too. Mike Wenzloff also has some good tutorials on finishing handles, attaching backs to plates...Kits are about half the price of Wenzloff's finished saws, about what you would pay for a good ready to use name brand used saw on auction. You can also just buy a plate and the bolts to connect a handle and make your own handle from scratch, Mike's site even has handle sketches of favorite handles that you can use.

Mark Dorman
11-18-2011, 9:50 PM
build another project using your saws. Repeat.

+1 on the repeat. the more you make do with what you have the better you will understand what you need.
I had good luck at some garage sales and flea markets early on and got 1 and 2 dollar saws. Faster to buy new
but I like picken through rust and I didn't really know what I needed yet.