PDA

View Full Version : Safe Use of table Saw

Jim Rimmer
11-16-2011, 3:54 PM
There was a recent post about FWW posting a video of a questionable method for cutting tenons. Looks like Popular Woodworking has seen it and without referencing it directly has posted a really good response. Visit: popularwoodworking.com/techniques/speed-tenons-safely

Great quote at the end of the article that applies to everything you do in the shop: If you have to ask "Is this safe?" you should stop, look at the process and don't go any farther until you can say, "This is safe."

johnny means
11-16-2011, 6:25 PM
I think this articles shows a lack of understanding of what is safe and is not. Generalizing in this manner does not show a real understanding of risk and exposure. The authors notion that any time a piece of wood is trapped between the fence and the blade is dangerous is just plane false. The risk of kick back in this situation is almost nil. First of all, the operator has a lot of leverage compared to the 1/4 or so of exposed blade. Secondly, for the work piece to kick back would pretty much require the miter gauge to twist in the slot. Though, I do agree that the authors technique is better, it's not because of the theoretical possibility of the work piece flying out of control.

My problem with the article is with the perpetuation of theoretical safety rules as opposed to explaining why that operation generally goes smoothly while a similar operation done with a few small differences can be drastically more risky. It's like saying that band saws are just as dangerous as table saws because they can both cut you. Sure in theory that's true, I guess a band saw could amputate five fingers at once, but I would bet that statistically speaking, it doesn't happen. A more informative conversation would be to discuss exactly why table saws cause so many injuries and what about the mechanics of a table saw make it so much more dangerous. Truly understanding what make something risky or what creates an unacceptable level of exposure will help us make better decisions than unexplained generalizations.

Richard Wagner
11-17-2011, 7:37 AM
I don't really consider this a questionable method of cutting tenons. The method works and in my opinion is not an accident waiting to happen.

The hazards of using a rip fence in conjunction with a miter gauge are real because of the cutoff that can get trapped between the blade and the rip fence. When this happens, the cutoff is likely to become a projectile. It is that projectile that is hazardous. The tenon cutting procedure does not produce that cutoff.

However, do not become overly aggressive while doing this. Nibble your way through the tenon. If you have a large number of tenons to cut this is probably not the best method.

Don Wacker
11-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I think its there as a stab at FWW and nothing else. Either way works, neither are all that fast as we all know a dado blade is much faster.

Don

Richard Shaefer
11-17-2011, 12:38 PM
I think the topic was started more to get conversation going than out of any real concern for safety. I've been making tennons like that for years without issue.
Yes, on a production scale job, a Dado or a tennoning jig is faster, and the jig is certainly far less dust, but if have to turn out 1/2 dozen tennons, are you really going to swap out the blade on your saw? Maybe some will, but I'll just nibble the waste out.

Stephen Cherry
11-17-2011, 1:07 PM
Here's a real speed tenon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vhs4hFoLag

Anthony Whitesell
11-17-2011, 2:07 PM
Other than both fences being present at once, this is no more or less dangerous than cutting cove molding on the tablesaw. It's the same technique.

Terry Beadle
11-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Regarding the youtube speed tenon: I think this technique requires some very straight grained stock. Any kind of twist or knot would cause unpredictable verticle results IMO.

It is very neat though !

I still think that cutting thin spaced kurf cuts in the waste is the safest technique for TS tenons. You only need to be hit in the stomach or face one time to learn kick back is not a California beach term...hoot!