PDA

View Full Version : bwahaha - SCM jointer inbound

J.R. Rutter
11-16-2011, 3:29 PM
I wasn't exactly looking to sell, but someone made me a good offer on my 12" General jointer. While I might miss the shelix head, I did manage to get what I hope is a good deal on a replacement machine. 1999 SCMI F410 T, 16" x 102" tables, Tersa cutterhead, rough condition (hopefully not TOO rough), but SCM seems to have parts in stock. I know, it's not a 520, but it will have to do. Had to share with you guys:

http://www.professionalmachinery.com/product_images/SCM1994%20(2).jpg

http://www.professionalmachinery.com/product_images/SCM1994%20(3).jpg

David Kumm
11-16-2011, 3:41 PM
J R, the condition doesn't look bad to me. Tables and fence look good. 16" is a better size than 12"- by more than 4" ! Does the guard retract out of the way to allow for wider boards? the swing away guard is a neat deal on my old Porter CM.
the guy who got the general is lucky as well. Dave

Jim Matthews
11-16-2011, 5:06 PM
It's the size of an aircraft carrier.

Love the Tersa, but this is bigger than my garage.

Chris Tsutsui
11-16-2011, 5:40 PM
That is nice. 1600lbs, over 8 foot bed, tersa head.

You can build castle doors on that thing.

Larry Edgerton
11-16-2011, 5:57 PM
Ya, Ya, You suck......:p

That is next on my list, and SCM of course is high on my preferences. I sold my 12" Porter with one of those in mind but business is still slow here.

Congradulations

Larry

Peter Quinn
11-16-2011, 6:02 PM
Do you need a captain's license to operate that jointer?:) Nice upgrade J.R.. Should give you some added capacity for wide stuff. We have a big Taiwanese jointer at work (20"X109") and for some things I actually prefer the smaller 12" jointers, which happen to be SCMI. The guard projection is huge. But for the long and wide stuff those air craft carriers cant be beat. I bet you don't miss that spiral head too much with the tersa to replace it. Enjoy that. Are you going to expand into entry doors now? Those tables scream "8 foot stiles".:rolleyes:

Jeff Duncan
11-16-2011, 6:09 PM
That looks like a nice little machine. Do me a favor and measure your cutting width when you get yours. I have an older short bed model 410 jointer from another Italian company that comes in short at about 15-1/2". I thought it was named 410 in regards to 410mm or just over 16", except for that mine comes up short! Wondering where yours comes out.

congrats....

JeffD

johnny means
11-16-2011, 6:37 PM
Had one of those in my last shop. The 3/4 cut is something special, great for rounding blanks or a quick bevel on a post and it won't blink at a cut that deep. I even used it to cut coves on little panels a couple of times. Guard sucked though, seems like its usable range wasn't as wide as the jointer. If we had it adjusted full width it wouldn't open up that last inch and if you forced it the spring slipped and it didn't retract. I got a thing against pork chop guards anyway.

Nice score. YOU SUCK.

Mike Heidrick
11-16-2011, 9:10 PM
I would have never expected a pork chop on an SCM. I think a jointer that size begs for a feeder. Congrats.

Real stones would have kept both ;)

Rick Fisher
11-16-2011, 9:20 PM
That is a dream jointer.. Solid as a rock, an amazing machine.
Guessing its 5.5 hp ? Or 7.5 hp ?

J.R. Rutter
11-16-2011, 11:00 PM
J R, the condition doesn't look bad to me. Tables and fence look good. 16" is a better size than 12"- by more than 4" ! Does the guard retract out of the way to allow for wider boards? the swing away guard is a neat deal on my old Porter CM.
the guy who got the general is lucky as well. Dave

> 4" better - I like that! There are some broken handles, and the anodizing on the fence is worn away. If the bearings are still good and the tables aren't dished, then I'll be happy. Not sure about the guard, but it looks removable if nothing else. The guy who is buying the old General came by to run a few boards over it and he seemed pretty happy. It is a great little big jointer.

Should give you some added capacity for wide stuff. We have a big Taiwanese jointer at work (20"X109") and for some things I actually prefer the smaller 12" jointers, which happen to be SCMI. The guard projection is huge. But for the long and wide stuff those air craft carriers cant be beat. I bet you don't miss that spiral head too much with the tersa to replace it. Enjoy that. Are you going to expand into entry doors now? Those tables scream "8 foot stiles".:rolleyes:

Our panels are generally pretty flat. But for some jobs, flattening panels will be a big help. And chances are that if we do need to joint something, then it is going to be something long and awkward, so I'm looking forward to this big surface. I have used Terminus heads, but not Tersa, I assume that they are pretty close in performance? I don't have room for entry doors though :-(

I would have never expected a pork chop on an SCM. I think a jointer that size begs for a feeder. Congrats.
Real stones would have kept both ;)

I think SCM has options for guards that will bolt on, including a "droopy" pork chop that drops down over the edge in sections. We'll see how it goes. One thing that I like to do for panel staves that need fine tuning is to turn a whole batch on edge and run them over the jointer all at once. When I used to face every board by hand, a feeder was mandatory. It might be a while before we have the room to run planks to justify a feeder for this guy. Re stones: moving to a white theme in the shop now, dislike painting ;-)

That is a dream jointer.. Solid as a rock, an amazing machine.
Guessing its 5.5 hp ? Or 7.5 hp ?

~ 6.6 HP

Thanks for the good vibes on this one guys!

Jeff Monson
11-18-2011, 9:50 AM
JR thats a sweet jointer, I wish I had the real estate to park one like that!! Looks to be in really nice shape, but pics can be misleading as you stated. Make sure to give us a review when its up and running.

J.R. Rutter
11-18-2011, 10:11 AM
5 HP, actually - if I'm converting 230V * 17A correctly?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ccA6Cg94_HY/TsZ1E3KoMYI/AAAAAAAABhk/7Hm7fhjDBhs/s500/scmi%252520f410%252520plate.jpg

David Kumm
11-18-2011, 11:37 AM
J R, I think you were correct with the 6.6 hp. SCMI specs different motors for the US market but works off the same design as their euro motors. a 5.5 hp euro increases 20% due to the hz increase so the motor rates at 6.6. 17 amps is about right. Their 9 hp motor pulls 23. A true 5 hp will draw 12-13 amps. The reason they don't use the same motor for both markets is that euro motors have a reputation for running hotter on 60 HZ. The flip side is they don't recommend running their 60 hz motors at 50 . Felder runs the same motors for both systems. Dave

Rick Fisher
11-19-2011, 12:11 AM
I would put in a 20 amp breaker..

If you find the cost of 3 phase breakers just too offensive and need to unload that beast, let me know :)

Seriously .. what is it with 3 phase breakers.. not sure about the USA but up here in Canuckistan.. they are big bucks.. I gotta get one next week..

JR .. do you have blades for that beast ? Not likely to ship it with nice fresh ones and not like you wont use em up .. I would order a set of 410's ..

Rod Sheridan
11-19-2011, 8:40 AM
Yes JR, 5 HP would be a good estimate for that motor.

Nice machine................Regards, Rod.

David Kumm
11-19-2011, 9:45 AM
That is SCMIs 6.6 hp motor. 4.8 kw at 60 hz. Dave

Sam Layton
11-19-2011, 11:39 AM
JR, good job on the jointer. I have the Mini Max Formula 1, 16", which is the same jointer as the SCM 16". It is a great jointer. The guard does get in the way sometimes, but not that big of a deal. The only issue is the fence will not angle allowing skew cuts. That is not that big of a deal.

I ordered mine from MM in single phase. It was delivered in three phase. MM provided a new single phase motor, a few electrical parts, and before you know it, I had a single phase jointer. The single phase motor is a 3.6 kw, 22.5 amp motor. I think they said it was 4.8 hp. It has plenty of power.

Sam

J.R. Rutter
11-19-2011, 11:45 AM
I would put in a 20 amp breaker..

If you find the cost of 3 phase breakers just too offensive and need to unload that beast, let me know :)

Seriously .. what is it with 3 phase breakers.. not sure about the USA but up here in Canuckistan.. they are big bucks.. I gotta get one next week..

JR .. do you have blades for that beast ? Not likely to ship it with nice fresh ones and not like you wont use em up .. I would order a set of 410's ..

I'm pretty sure that the previous jointer was on a 20A circuit, and 20 minutes after the auction ended, I had a set of M42 410mm knives on the way!

As a side question: has anyone here ever run a pair of shorter knives in place of one long knife? In my Terminus moulder heads, I use a pair of 120mm knives instead of one 240mm knife. This lets me rotate to a fresh edge in the high wear side of the planer heads four times instead of two.

Regarding electricity, one of my better moves was to hang a 2' x 30' steel grid from the 16'-20' high ceiling with allthread at 10' above the floor. At one end is a sub panel (which I got on eBay preloaded with 2 and 3 PH breakers), and I ran some circuits along the grid, with multiple twist lock receptacles for each. The grid also supports ductwork, some switched task lighting, 120V outlets, and a pair of ambient air filters. It is a simple matter to do SO cord and the appropriate plug for any new machine.

J.R. Rutter
11-19-2011, 11:51 AM
JR, good job on the jointer. I have the Mini Max Formula 1, 16", which is the same jointer as the SCM 16". It is a great jointer. The guard does get in the way sometimes, but not that big of a deal. The only issue is the fence will not angle allowing skew cuts. That is not that big of a deal.

I ordered mine from MM in single phase. It was delivered in three phase. MM provided a new single phase motor, a few electrical parts, and before you know it, I had a single phase jointer. The single phase motor is a 3.6 kw, 22.5 amp motor. I think they said it was 4.8 hp. It has plenty of power.

Sam

Nice! I looked at new MM and SCM Nova jointers, but I just happened to run across this auction that was ending at the right time. There were 2 other bidders, but I got it for less than my initial max bid, so it worked out. Even with the 10% buyers premium plus shipping it was 1/2 of the cost of a new SCM. :)

David Kumm
11-19-2011, 1:24 PM
Sam and JR, Are the two jointers actually the same units rebadged? I was unaware that minimax shared machines with scm- its parent. I'm always curious as to what companies are doing to attract the widest audience. Dave

J.R. Rutter
11-19-2011, 2:29 PM
Sam and JR, Are the two jointers actually the same units rebadged? I was unaware that minimax shared machines with scm- its parent. I'm always curious as to what companies are doing to attract the widest audience. Dave

They do produce different ranges, but there is overlap. One of the my customers has a big SCMI J/P combo that I have never seen elsewhere - very much like the big MiniMax J/P.

SCM does generally have an industrial version (as if this isn't industrial enough) in the lineup as well. For jointers, it is L'Invincable, which competes with Martin. Latest jointers:
http://www.scmgroupna.com/images/Product/large/F410_NOVA%20Jointer.jpg
http://www.minimax-usa.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Formula-F1.jpg

David Kumm
11-19-2011, 3:01 PM
Thanks, JR. The MM and SCMI websites don't offer much detail. I wonder why the SCM makes jointers in the Nova and L'invincible models and skips the Class line. They make all three in shapers and saws. SCM offers a saw-shaper combo in Europe but not here. Mac Campshure has a SCMI saw shaper made in the 90s that is huge. They must have reasons but they don't penitrate the US market as well as they should. Dave

Rick Fisher
11-19-2011, 4:18 PM
Many of the machines made by SCM are sold as Mini-max and also as Casadei .. (SCM group owns them all)

The Jointer and Planer are the most obvious. The planer comes 9hp in Mini Max and 12hp in SCM or Casadei.. The L'invinvible comes as SCM only. The castings on all of them say SCM ..

Its pretty smart... It allows them to hit all the price points and distribution routes..

SCM is actually a huge foundry company.. They make high end castings at their foundries for companies like Ferrari and for companies that build bullet trains. They work for lots of simpler companies as well but are regarded as one of the worlds premium foundries.

In Europe, you can buy the machines with much smaller motors. A 20" Planer can be ordered with a 5.5hp motor for commercial use. My 24" Wide Belt can be ordered 7.5hp in Italy but comes 12hp in the USA or Canada. If it had a 7.5hp motor, it would work exactly the same..
In Europe, you might rent a warehouse space that is 200 years old.. The electrical may be up to date, but it may not have a 600 amp service. Smaller spaces and older buildings are the norm in the cities, so machines are built to be less of a burden on the panel.

My goal is to get a Euro Planer .. Either a Martin, SCM or Felder.. Maybe a Griggio.. If I ordered new, I would probably look seriously at 5.5hp or 7.5hp .. Only potential problem would be resale.

David Kumm
11-19-2011, 6:02 PM
Rick, I wonder what the internal differences are as well. Sam Blasco has told me that there are as MM is a separate company within the SCM group but I never bothered with details as I was not in the market. We are used to more power- kind of like V-8 engines. If you are running a RPC though it is better to err on the high side. Not that much more and depending on how well it is balanced you can lose some power. I have been unhappy with 5 hp planers and happy with 7.5 so I'm a little biased. Dave

Robert LaPlaca
11-19-2011, 9:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that the previous jointer was on a 20A circuit, and 20 minutes after the auction ended, I had a set of M42 410mm knives on the way!

As a side question: has anyone here ever run a pair of shorter knives in place of one long knife? In my Terminus moulder heads, I use a pair of 120mm knives instead of one 240mm knife. This lets me rotate to a fresh edge in the high wear side of the planer heads four times instead of two.

JR what an interesting idea... Jeez I am not sure if it's possible? I do know on my Minimax FS-41 Elite the Tersa locking gibs are not 410 MM long, they seem like they are various combination of lengths that make up 410MM.

I do know you are going to love the M42 Tersa knifes, they are razor sharp and leave a beautiful finish. They seem to last a very long time too..

Larry Edgerton
11-20-2011, 7:58 AM

If you find out the answer to that question please post. That is something that I thought I would like to try on my planer. I was thinking carbide on one half and M 42 on the other for roughing out stock. I was thinking that it would be better to run little overlap so if you did a wide board there would be no line. Say on your 410, run two 200s on the right, two 200s on the left, two 210s on the right, and two 210s on the left. I guess you could shift them enough to accomplish the same thing too.

Know what I mean?

Anyway, if you do get an answer to the question let me know. I am too chicken to try it and take a chance on damaging my planer, and never get around to calling.

I buy my knives from Global Tooling and Supply out in your neighborhood, and they will sharpen Tersa knives one time. Have not had any sharpened yet but have a stash of old knives I may try it. Kind of defeats the purpose of the tersa system where you never have to reset, but on a planer it would be fine for roughing out rough stock as knife changes are so fast anyway.

Later, Larry

J.R. Rutter
11-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Carbide / steel does sound like a good solution for a planer if the Tersa system allows for it. There is a single full-width centrifugal gib, right? I don't really care about lines, but a slight shift should minimize them.

Joe Calhoon
11-20-2011, 4:50 PM
JR and Larry,
I have been running Tersa heads in several machines for 10 years now. I have come to the conclusion that two carbide and two dummy knives in a four knife head is the most economical even with the high cost of carbide. At least for our door, window and millwork operation. We don’t have carbide in the jointer yet but plan to soon as the M42 stock is gone. It is easy enough to pull the carbide if you are worried about hitting something that will damage the knife. It is pretty tough compared to M42.

I run split knives on the 160mm high side heads of the S4S machine. This allows better use of the knife surface as we rarely run anything over 80mm thick. It does leave a slight line if you do run anything across the break in the knifes.

On the jointer we tried four carbide inboard for edge jointing with two M42 outboard of this for facing. We found the tersa carbide just slightly different in height, enough to throw the tables off between the two types. At present we do this with all M42. On the jointer, because it is hand feed the quality of cut is better with 4 knives. On the planer and S4S you cannot tell the difference unless it is a difficult timber such as curly maple.

If you split knives just be sure to use the same length knives and dummies so as not to throw the head off balance.

Joe

Larry Edgerton
11-20-2011, 5:15 PM
Thanks for the reply Joe.....

My planer is a 4 speed, so I suppose with two knives the finish would be the same as in 2nd or 3rd gear. I'll try it with two sharp and two dummys and see how it goes. I am going to order splits next time and try it. Often when you get a bad nick it is on one side or the other. Business is not great just now or I would order carbides, but $800 bucks is a lot just now for me. Of course I bought a thousand dollars worth of saw blades last month........

Question Joe, are the carbides solid carbide or are they a steel backer with a carbide laminated face? I ask because of another machine I have that has solid carbides that are similar if I hit a nail the carbide breaks up into pieces and the whole cutter is junk. We try not to hit stuff, but it does happen. I ran into a small bolt grown into some 8/4 white oak a while ago, one of the things that scares me about investing in carbide.

JR.....

Not sure what you will have but on my planer there are four jibs at each knife. probably a fail safe.

I just bought a PM 6" jointer for job site work from a creeker that just picked up the exact same jointer you have used, so I'll check his out next weekend. I want one bad! I'm doing some post and beam work right now and I could use a big jointer, but not a big enough job to justify one. Soon........

Larry

Brian Ross
11-20-2011, 9:42 PM
Great score, there are some great deals out there on used machinery.

Brian

J.R. Rutter
11-20-2011, 9:45 PM
Thanks Joe. Good to know that the carbide and steel knives are not a perfect match. I'm used to the shelix heads in both the planer and jointer, so this is somewhat new to me. I am thinking that the Tersa will be better for the way we will primarily use this jointer - tuning up the edges on panel staves - up to 10 at a time in a stack. Hope that the M42 also holds up to glue lines for panels that need flattened.

Eventually, I would like to set up a full custom division (meaning me) within the door company that will take full advantage of all of this great equipment.

J.R. Rutter
11-20-2011, 9:47 PM
Great score, there are some great deals out there on used machinery.

Brian

Definitely. I got this one on machinerymax.com, which is an auction site set up by a big SCMI dealer in CA, Professional Machiney Group.

Jeff Duncan
11-21-2011, 9:50 AM
So when are you buying that nice T-130 for up for auction a few miles to the south of you;)

Hey, everyone needs an enabler now and then:D

good luck,
JeffD

David Kumm
11-21-2011, 10:25 AM
That T130 NPS is a 1998 and looks pretty good. A friend of mine thought he had made a deal on it but the seller relisted it. Don't know the story. I have the SCMI slider and a Felder F7. I don't use the scmi much as a slider as I set it up with a feeder and fence. The Felder table is easier to adjust and sits closer to the cutter as the table rings are smaller. The SCMI miter gauge where the clamp gets fastened sits quite a ways away from the cutter as well so the tenoning table is an important accessory on the scmi, not so much on the Felder. The Felder crosscut fence squares more easily. The SCMI is much heavier. All in all I would rate the Felder a little better for shorter or smaller coping but the SCMI is by far a more production machine. I prefer the Knapp for cope cuts overall so I may end up selling the Felder. Dave

Sam Layton
11-21-2011, 10:49 AM

David, sorry to take so long to get back...

As far as I can tell, and/or remember, they are the same basis machine. I remember using a SCM years ago. The front panel of the machine was steel as I remember. On my MM the front panel, (blue) is a strong heavy plastic. I think all other parts are the same.

Sam

David Kumm
11-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Sam, you are correct. Although the formula name is now discontinued, it was virtually the same as the Nova according to Sam Blasco. Dave

Joe Calhoon
11-21-2011, 2:43 PM
Thanks for the reply Joe.....Question Joe, are the carbides solid carbide or are they a steel backer with a carbide laminated face? I ask because of another machine I have that has solid carbides that are similar if I hit a nail the carbide breaks up into pieces and the whole cutter is junk. We try not to hit stuff, but it does happen. I ran into a small bolt grown into some 8/4 white oak a while ago, one of the things that scares me about investing in carbide.LarryLarry the Tersa are solid carbide. I have Leitz carbide in the S4S and will check those out later today but I think they are also solid. Yes it is a risk, we have hit bullets, nails and fence staples in domestic hardwoods. It would be a very bad day if that happened with carbide Tersa.

Joe

Jeff Duncan
11-21-2011, 9:27 PM
I'd take the T-130 in a heartbeat, but too far for me to consider shipping, especially since I already bought 2 large pieces this year. For my shop I generally only cope short pieces so I haven't missed the slider....yet! At his asking price, (which is what I see many trying to get for the T-110's, and supposedly it's never been used???), It's hard not to be tempted to add one!

I haven't seen any Knapp shapers, how do they stack up in the grand scheme???

JeffD

David Kumm
11-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Jeff, my Knapp is a saw shaper so I don't have a stand alone. Like everything else they made it is stouter than comparable Felder or MM. There is no backlash in their adjustments and the slider extrusions are much heavier. It has a router bit attachment that runs at four speeds with a top of 23000 rpm which is pretty neat. A dedicated fence with the Kreg beaded face frame bits makes short work of them. The newer Knapp fence is the best I've used which includes the Felder "240"- my least favorite- the the basic SCMI fence. I don't have the more adjustable SCMI model but understand it is great. The Knapp is not as heavy as the T130 but has the best crosscut squaring method ever and uses standard 60x60 or 45x60 Bosch extrusions so you can make dedicated crosscut fences pretty reasonably. Framingtech sells the heavy extrusion for about $9 per foot. Most tilt forward as backtilt was an option, but the fence can be reversed if needed. The base of the Knapp is full 6mm steel with a full 6mm floor and partition between the saw and shaper. I need to move it against the wall when not used and the base really helps to keep the adjustments. Mobile machines need better structure than ones planted in one spot. I recently bought a 2000 T130 slider that also had never been used for the same price as the one on ebay including the tenoning table so they are out there if you are patient and lucky. Dave

J.R. Rutter
11-22-2011, 12:18 AM
$3800 for an unused T130 with slider and accessories! Man, when I was buying shapers they were going for a lot more than that...

The Knapp sounds like a nice setup.

Jeff Duncan
11-22-2011, 10:15 AM
David, my tilting shaper also tilts forward which I find to be a bit awkward, but it still gets the job done at the end of the day. I have thought about drilling a few more holes to swap the fence around, but just haven't had the need yet. Your Knapp sounds like a nice piece of equipment!

I will say that if I run into a T-130 with the slider in my neighborhood in that condition for that price....it's going to be very hard not to buy it!

JeffD

Mike Cruz
11-22-2011, 5:29 PM
Better watch out, my drool is about to rust your cast iron! Nice grab...and upgrade!

J.R. Rutter
11-22-2011, 6:19 PM
Thanks Mike - it shipped today!

J.R. Rutter
12-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Took delivery last night around quitting time. Professional Machinery built a good crate for it and it survived LTL shipping just fine. It is always a bit dicey unloading something long, heavy, and expensive with short forks. In the end, we got it on the ground without incident. It was a tight fit, but I got it into place and "rough" tuned today - well enough to make things flat without snipe, but with room for improvement. It is amazing what employees and lack of routine maintenance can do to machinery. The outfeed table was too low, the Tersa head had sawdust packed under the knives to screw up registration, The knives were too short (300mm or so), the swing away guard mounting bracket was way out of whack and had crashed into the cutterhead at some point as a result, the fence adjustments were sticky from lack of lube, the belts were loose, and the tables were covered in gooey gunk.

Fortunately, most of this was an easy fix and it is now running well enough. Fence now glides and tilts easily. Fine tuning will come over the Christmas holiday. I only had a 4" DC branch available, and was pleasantly surprised to see that it does just fine, even though the machine has a 6" port. The tables polished up with 2 runs of degreaser, steel wool, and TopCote.

One question on Tersa heads: is it ever advisable to clean the gibs with a light penetrant like WD-40 to make sure that they can move freely? Maybe I didn't get all of the caked crud out, but it seems like the knives are not all in the came cutting circle yet.

Mike Cruz
12-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Hmmmmm, I don't see a jointer anywhere. I mean, I saw a picture of one sooooooomewhere in the begining of this thread, but I didn't see one delivered...

Sam Layton
12-02-2011, 10:33 AM
JR,

I don't see why it would be a problem. I think I would start out with lacquer thinner and a tooth brush, and clean it good, followed with compressed air. Then I would use a light coat of a dry lubricant to keep it from rusting.

Sam

J.R. Rutter
12-02-2011, 2:59 PM
OK, here are some pics of the cluttered shop. The jointer is not optimally located yet. I will have to re-arrange things if I get some slow time. Mostly, we use it for touching up edges on batches of panel staves, so the short outfeed clearance is not a big deal, usually. I will clean up the head really well as soon as I can. Maybe get some SCM white paint and a new decal...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-egVc1BZzd-0/Ttkr3AZft4I/AAAAAAAABh8/u6AGgjeXAvo/s912/P1030425.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hQEAtkelTvs/Ttkr3iQ8rII/AAAAAAAABiE/b4b6mRuSQp4/s912/P1030426.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6M0fE9EsAXo/Ttkr4pzaqnI/AAAAAAAABiM/zt_5388zLtE/s912/P1030432.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Yw5pftzXzCs/Ttkr5DpnpnI/AAAAAAAABiU/bBGadRCk3VU/s912/P1030434.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hw6IaoixCxA/Ttkr5qlQFAI/AAAAAAAABic/q1ZlzUmQtyc/s912/P1030436.JPG

Mike Cruz
12-02-2011, 4:49 PM
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Congrats on gettin' that monster. I'm TOTALLY jealous of your space...

Larry Edgerton
12-02-2011, 6:30 PM
Excellent!

You looked under the hood. Is the motor on that unit proprietary or could it be substituted with something else with a little work.

Reason I ask is I am trying to make a deal on an older F410, must be about 15-20 years old as it has the same two green colors as my shaper, but the running condition is unknown. Would make a difference on what I would pay as I have a new heavy 5 hp Baldor 3ph sitting on the shelf.

I had to buy a motor for my minimax slider that is a proprietary design, and it hurt a bit.:rolleyes:

On the Tersa knives/head I clean mine every time I put in new blades, and I clean the opposite side of the blade when I flip them. I have never had a problem since new with this small bit of maintainance. I don't use oil because I don't want oil on my wood, I just spray it with TopCote every time I use it. If I plane a lot of pine I clean it immediately with lacquer thinner, a brass brush, and an air gun. Works for me.

Definately makes your shop look better...

Larry

David Kumm
12-02-2011, 6:34 PM
Larry, wouldn't you be better off just to have the motor rewound? $300-400 and back to as good as new, and easier to resell. J R great pictures and it looks like the important stuff is in good shape. Dave

Larry Edgerton
12-02-2011, 8:26 PM
Larry, wouldn't you be better off just to have the motor rewound? $300-400 and back to as good as new, and easier to resell. J R great pictures and it looks like the important stuff is in good shape. Dave

I needed the saw with a scoreing blade "NOW" so I bit the bullet.

David Kumm
12-02-2011, 8:39 PM
Yes Larry, but I meant to rewind the jointer motor rather than substitute the Baldor. You are correct that the swap is probably fairly easy though. Seems like there are no easy alternatives to the Euro parts so the companies kind of gouge you. Dave

J.R. Rutter
12-02-2011, 9:50 PM
You looked under the hood. Is the motor on that unit proprietary or could it be substituted with something else with a little work.

I will have to take another look. On all of the SCM stuff that I have, the motor mount has a decent adjustment range, so I would think that worst case would be a sub plate for the motor mounting and a pulley of the proper diameter to fit the shaft on the Baldor. SCM usually does nice pulley setups, with tapered mounts for centering. I bet the original motor is fine though...

Jeff Duncan
12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
You call that cluttered? Man I'd love to be able to see that much of my floors;)

JeffD