PDA

View Full Version : need help with image Quick!

Jimmy L Taylor
11-16-2011, 2:09 PM
I have a image of a family crest I need to engrave on glass. The original is not that great of quality but I need to see what can be done with it. I am new to this so any help is greatly appreciated. I need to remove the backround color for sure.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/Jims406rs/StClairCrest.jpg

Jimmy L Taylor
11-16-2011, 2:10 PM
First thing I need to do is figure out how to attach the pic...

Jimmy L Taylor
11-16-2011, 3:37 PM
if I try engraving it as is it shades the entire image... HELP!!!
Thanks for any suggestions.

Joe Hillmann
11-16-2011, 3:56 PM
I assume you are doing it in corel draw? If so this is how I would do it.

Select the image
on the top click on bitmaps
select edit bitmap.

That should bring you to corel paint
on the top click on image
Color mode
Black and white (1 bit)

It should have a drop down menu that allows you to select what type of black and white you want to do. For glass I usually use "Line art" once you select that you can move the threshold bar up and down to determan how much of the blue becomes white and how much becomes black. Then close it and save corel paint and it should bring the modifications you made to corel draw. I usually go one step farther and left click on the image and click Trace bitmap. That will open corel trace.

on the top click on trace
Then click on advanced outline.

Here you may have to play around a bit to get it to do what you want but it should get you an ok black and white image you can engrave.

matthew knott
11-16-2011, 4:16 PM
quickly run this through a tracing program, you will need to tidy it a bit in corel and type the text, i dont have corel on this pc!!

matthew knott
11-16-2011, 4:56 PM
got a better one but its to big to bout on here, by 2k !!! email me and i can send it!
i mean send me your email :)

Martin Boekers
11-16-2011, 5:10 PM
Check out this video, I know it's for a photo watch till the end as he shows
how to convert the image in Corel.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllZTBA0HO0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllZTBA0HO0)

A few things Blue color engraves like black so keep that in mind.
Get rid of the drop shadows and if you can minimize the gradients.
Glass is a very low resolution substrate the closer you can get to line art the better.

An easy way to get rid of the blue (I can tell you how I do it in PhotoShop not
sure about Corel) is open Photo Paint find the adjustments for hue/saturation, select blue
channel and move the slider to lighten.

Not sure how familiar you are with Photo Paint but there are quite a few different ways to
optimize this image there.

Marty

Jimmy L Taylor
11-16-2011, 5:11 PM
Yes I am using Corel X5

Martin Boekers
11-16-2011, 5:23 PM
quickly run this through a tracing program, you will need to tidy it a bit in corel and type the text, i dont have corel on this pc!!

What tracing program did you use? that's actually not too bad!

Martin Boekers
11-16-2011, 5:27 PM
This was with just a quick fix in PS file is to low res though. But it does give you an idea
how to convert some of these images quickly.

Jimmy L Taylor
11-16-2011, 5:55 PM
im just learning the software, so none of it is quick for me! thanks for all the help and info. I will check out the video too.

matthew knott
11-16-2011, 6:09 PM
Martin,this is a quick trace using vector magic of your file, with slightly better res it would come out pretty good, i could also play with the setting a bit in the traceand improve it, this is the result of just one click, i had to zip it to make it fit. PM me and i can give you more details.
Matt

Dan Hintz
11-16-2011, 6:17 PM
<chuckle> If only all of our images could be that clean from the beginning ;) Most of us end up with clients handing us a poorly-printed version of that at 1/4th the size and expect miracles.

Jimmy L Taylor
11-16-2011, 9:02 PM
<chuckle> If only all of our images could be that clean from the beginning ;) Most of us end up with clients handing us a poorly-printed version of that at 1/4th the size and expect miracles.

The original I had was horrible, the one I posted I actually bought online at 600 dpi... unfortunately I still needed help with it.

David Fairfield
11-16-2011, 9:29 PM
If you are doing glass, the graphic should have a black shield with a white cross. Because your black areas will engrave and appear frosted (white) on the finished product. Have to think ahead this way, when doing glass.

Dave

Jimmy L Taylor
11-17-2011, 12:08 AM
If you are doing glass, the graphic should have a black shield with a white cross. Because your black areas will engrave and appear frosted (white) on the finished product. Have to think ahead this way, when doing glass.

Dave

good point!