PDA

View Full Version : Need New e-mail. Ideas ?

Scott Donley
11-16-2011, 2:02 PM
As Outlook express no longer works in Win 7 I need some new. I liked OE and have used it for many years. Looking for something simple and I don't need all the bells a whistles. I already have web based, want something to store on my computer. Thanks for your ideas.

Ryan Mooney
11-16-2011, 2:04 PM
thunderbird

Greg Portland
11-16-2011, 2:28 PM
Scott, why do you need to local copy on your machine? Is it because -->

1) You need to view old mail without connecting to the Internet?
2) Don't trust Google, etc. with sensitive information (i.e. you want a secure solution)?
3) Advanced parsing / filtering features are required?
4) ?

Your answers will help us give you a good suggestion.

Scott Donley
11-16-2011, 2:40 PM
Scott, why do you need to local copy on your machine? Is it because -->

1) You need to view old mail without connecting to the Internet?
2) Don't trust Google, etc. with sensitive information (i.e. you want a secure solution)?
3) Advanced parsing / filtering features are required?
4) ?

Your answers will help us give you a good suggestion.My ISP has a Google type email and has lost saved emails in the past. It also does not give me the ability to delete a message without opening it first. Besides that, I just want to.:)

paul cottingham
11-16-2011, 3:05 PM
+1 Thunderbird

Gary Hodgin
11-16-2011, 3:10 PM
Thunderbird for the important stuff and gmail for the junk.

Chuck Wintle
11-16-2011, 4:17 PM
thunderbird
another vote for thunderbird...you can even use it to download from gmail...i do mine and another account with Tbrd.

glenn bradley
11-16-2011, 4:27 PM
Another +1 for Thunderbird.

Scott Donley
11-16-2011, 4:49 PM
I Guess I will try Thunderbird :) Thanks for the feedback !

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-16-2011, 8:33 PM
I would also recommend thunderbird, based on what I have learned from others. I would like to say that we use it at home, since win7 does not have OE......but the wife does not like too much change when it comes to computers, so we now use Outlook.

Dan Hintz
11-17-2011, 7:03 AM
+1 Thunderbird. There are also a boatload of nice plug-ins (also free) that are useful... scheduling, sticky notes, auto-forwarding, etc.

Curt Harms
11-17-2011, 7:28 AM
+1 Thunderbird. There are also a boatload of nice plug-ins (also free) that are useful... scheduling, sticky notes, auto-forwarding, etc.

Oh yeah on the plugins though not nearly as many as Firefox. There's a Thunderbird email addon I'm going to try. One of the shortcomings of most Email clients is the inability to export the contents of an email as text. Here is the creator's home page:

http://freeshell.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html (http://freeshell.de/%7Ekaosmos/mboximport-en.html)

Installed in the usual way from Thunderbird's tools-addons menu.

For Windows users there is a handy utility for backing up & restoring FireFox & Thunderbird data & settings. It's called MozBackup and google knows where you can get it.