PDA

View Full Version : Hello again!

Dan Forman
11-16-2011, 4:56 AM
Well, I've been away from the Creek as well as the shop for quite a while, and look what I find in just the first few pages:

Steve has a shiny new black beauty of a lathe, and apparently plans to turn a deer this year - has the game hoist installed above the lathe, and is just waiting for hunting season to start. He is also sportin' a new stash and ghoat, and by all accounts is now an official Arteeeest.

John nearly left us. :eek: Glad to hear you are recovering well.

David D is getting blank checks from galleries, and was reading about turning deer and moose in the restroom. He probably gave Steve the idea.

Hayes found the time, between baking batches of beeswax muffins, to demo turning a hollow form (using his shop made hollowing system) at our local turning club meeting last week. He probably was too modest to post that, but I was there. Good job Hayes!

Kathy's tree trimmer loads her trailer full of rosewood so that she has time to get everybody turning boxes.

Everybody has been turning out lovely pieces!

Lately I've been focusing on vintage fountain pens, calligraphy, and pastel painting, with very little shop time. I'm taking an online landscape class but have a long way to go...

I have a bunch of roughed out bowls from the past year that need to be tuned into Christmas gifts, and came upon some big walnut rounds from a local tree guy, so it's back to the grindstone for me. I can practice on the walnut roughouts to get my chops back for the second turning of the now ready bowls - amazing how much you can forget, but it comes back relatively quickly. So far I just have two new roughouts, but the shop smells good (love that green walnut), and I have the rest of it cut up and under cover to seal tomorrow.

Dan

mickey cassiba
11-16-2011, 5:11 AM
Welcome Back Dan...good to hear from you! I've been a little scarce myself, tryin' out new things, etc.

John Keeton
11-16-2011, 5:48 AM
Dan, sounds like you spent several hours catching up!! The "diversions" you took sound interesting - calligraphy and pastel painting, in particular. Good to see you back, and looking forward to seeing some of your posts!! Congrats on the walnut rounds - always good stuff!

Hayes Rutherford
11-16-2011, 7:42 AM
Wow! A post by Dan Forman and good news! I guess my threat of coming to get your lathe worked.

Tim Rinehart
11-16-2011, 8:01 AM
Good to see you back! Look forward to seeing some of those walnut bowls! Excellent timing...geez, wouldn't want to wait till Black Friday to start back!

Roger Chandler
11-16-2011, 8:21 AM
Welcome back Dan!

Steve Schlumpf
11-16-2011, 8:48 AM
Welcome back Dan! Looking forward to seeing the bowls - once finished!

Baxter Smith
11-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Welcome back Dan! Sounds like you will have some new ways to decorate your work!

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Welcome back Dan. Good to see you back and posting. Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I am taking a class in January on pastel color pencils and oil color pencils.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Welcome back Dan.

Jim Burr
11-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Glad your back Dan! Turning is just like riding a bike...once you fall off, you never forget how!:eek:;)

Bill Bolen
11-16-2011, 10:26 AM
One can never leave the vortex that easily. Welcome back grasshopper!!

Dan Forman
11-16-2011, 1:04 PM
Thanks for the kind welcome back.

Dan