PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Cherry Burl Bowl

Baxter Smith
11-15-2011, 9:02 PM
After turning some practical things?:rolleyes: I thought I would give the dye another shot! Mixed up some black transtint and gave it a heavy coat, sanded it back then added some red. Both the red and black were mixed too strong because I ended up with something very dark. Almost impossible to see the grain. A good soaking of Bush oil did nothing to improve the situation. Surprise, surprise!:rolleyes:

Figured I had two choices, toss it or sand it all back again. After thinking about it overnight, I decided that sanding was easier than finding a burl, turning it, waiting a year, then turning again. The second time I sanded back a little more and went with less concentrated red. As a result it is more of a pink. I’m not a pink person but at least the Mrs. likes it better.:)

8 1/2" x 3" x 7/16 Finished with Transtint Dye then Bush Oil

When I first finished the dyed plate, I was itching to try it again. Thought a trio would be interesting. I had a roughed out HF to use so.... That thought came to a screeching halt when the piece in question exited the lathe leaving the tenon in the chuck.
While getting the outside of the bottom into an acceptable curve, I had gotten pretty thin inside near the bottom. With about a third of the hollowing done, I had a little catch and that was all it took.
Having a bark inclusion half way around the bottom at that spot did little to help. I should have finished hollowing the top half first but.....my hindsight is my strong suit!;):)

Thoughts, suggestions and advice are always welcome!

Donny Lawson
11-15-2011, 9:36 PM
I like the red dye look. Those pieces have alot of nice character.

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2011, 9:41 PM
Baxter I like those. The red dye look is really nice.

Roger Chandler
11-15-2011, 9:42 PM
in the famous words of a former occupant of a famous house in D.C. ........."I feel your pain!"

Alan Trout
11-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Baxter you have been busy lately, So I don't have to post in another thread, I like them all.

Alan

charlie knighton
11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
i do not have a favorite, i like them all

Kenny Jacobson
11-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Those are great. I especially like the platter. I love the bead on the rim, and love the proportions of the bead to the rim and the rim to the bowl. Just great. I think I'm going to have to model my next platter after yours.... ;)

John Keeton
11-16-2011, 5:57 AM
Baxter, the platter is very, very nice!! Love the bowl, too - and, I kind of like the color. It is pink, but in a good sort of way.

Hate the blow up on the HF - Is glue out of the question? I would be bound to try, I think. If you can use Titebond and clamp it in the lathe, I bet you can get it finished. Just a thought.

Roland Martin
11-16-2011, 6:23 AM
Baxter, I think all are very well done, but I lean toward the platter as my favorite. The dye came out great, and the bush oil really gives the finish a nice subtle finish. Very nice work Baxter.

Michelle Rich
11-16-2011, 7:21 AM
Hi Baxter..dark is not my favorite, but from the picture, they look interesting. If mrs. smith likes them, well heck, what else matters?

Hayes Rutherford
11-16-2011, 7:32 AM
Nice work Baxter, the dye and natural flaws make them look ancient.

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-16-2011, 8:58 AM
Bax,
If I had just read your thread without looking at the pictures I would have assumed you had a bad day. If I would look at the pictures without reading the saga, I would comment what a successful day you had. The bowls and platter are handsome turnings. I too would like to learn the process a few others use to dye wood. I particularly like the over dyed effect that is sanded after each color is applied. I have had no luck trying it. The colors just seem to run into each other and end up some shade of brown. If you learn the secret, let me know. meanwhile, great stuff.
faust

Baxter Smith
11-16-2011, 9:55 AM
Thanks for your comments. They are appreciated and helpful!

Is glue out of the question? I would be bound to try, I think. If you can use Titebond and clamp it in the lathe, I bet you can get it finished. Just a thought.
I haven't counted it out John. The glue surface on the sides of the HF varies between 1/8 and 1/16 in thickness where it came apart. More than a third of that was a crack/bark inclusion so it doesn't touch at all. It would probably hold together. Using dye might hide a less than perfect joint. Unfortunately, the inside of the top half still needs to be hollowed a bit more. I doubt the lower half could take the stress.

I have considered turning a piece that the top would fit onto and be centered by the top opening. Hot glue it in place, then removing the excess from the otherside.

I could then put the tenon/part of the bottom in another chuck, and with that in the tailstock adaptor, bring it up like you described. Then try and get it out of the hot glue and finish hollowing the bottom.
Sounds like a plan!
Whether I could pull it off is something else entirely!

.... I too would like to learn the process a few others use to dye wood. I particularly like the over dyed effect that is sanded after each color is applied. I have had no luck trying it. The colors just seem to run into each other and end up some shade of brown. If you learn the secret, let me know. meanwhile, great stuff.
faust
Faust, these are the only two pieces I have tried so have little experience. From what I have gathered, dye only works well on fairly figured wood or where the grain allows a certain color to be absorbed deeper and not get sanded off. Plain wood stays plain, just changes color. I have turned several oak and sassafras vases thin over the last couple weeks that I will try it on when dry. Maybe I will get lucky!

Bill Bolen
11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Really find the one proud bead edging the wide lip to be very attractive here. Nice coloring job with a lot of unexpected work involved. Turned out to be very attractive. Sorry about the hf, had much the same happen for me the other day. Makes 'ya mad enough to go do another one!