PDA

View Full Version : Broken Gallery Piece ???????

John Beaver
11-15-2011, 8:01 PM
A gallery I show in just advised me that one of my pieces got a chip in it. (they don't know how it happened)

Before I respond I wanted to see if anyone here has ever had this issue and how it should be dealt with.

I'm sure they will make good, but I also want to keep in their good graces.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Wally Dickerman
11-15-2011, 8:29 PM
Any gallery that I've dealt with has carried insurance to cover damage and theft. I've had a few pieces damaged or stolen in the past. In a couple of instances when pieces were stolen I received payment for the gallery's retail price. A lot more than I'd have received if the gallery had sold the pieces

Any reputable gallery will accent resposibility for merchandise placed in their care.

Marty Eargle
11-15-2011, 8:40 PM
I don't have experience with any kind of galleries or such, but I would think any gallery worth their salt would have give you some information on compensation as soon as they alerted you of the damage. Without knowing the full story, letting you respond before they bring up a solution is a tactic to allow you to say "Oh...these things happen" or something. I'm sure this probably isn't the case, but there are people out there that care about the money leaps and bounds over the hard work and the art.

Good luck with whatever happens.

Curt Fuller
11-15-2011, 8:51 PM
I've never had things in a "real" private gallery. But I sell a few things through a local non-profit community art center. They gave me a form to sign when I first started putting things in there and it states something to the effect that they will reimburse at selling price minus commission for anything damaged or stolen. It also says something about damaged pieces become the property of the art center if they pay for reimbursement. That's not the exact 'legaleze' but I'm sure any gallery has some kind of policy that you probably agreed to even if you didn't realize you were agreeing to it. Luckily I've never had anything damaged or stolen. I hope it all works out for you John.

Toney Robertson
11-15-2011, 8:58 PM
The galleries that I have had pieces in and the ones I have talked to all have said that they are NOT responsible if a piece is damaged or stolen. It was up to me to have insurance. The only way their insurance would pay is if the building burned.

I hope it works for you. Was this not gone over when they accepted your pieces?

Good luck.

Toney

Gary Max
11-15-2011, 9:08 PM
Just one of the many down falls of galleries.

Alan Trout
11-15-2011, 9:08 PM
I have galleries that I am in that are insured and others are show at your own risk. I my mind if the gallery has been good to you don't make a huge deal out of it. It will probably pay dividends in the future.

Alan

Kenneth Hertzog
11-15-2011, 9:31 PM
John
first all of the above is possible. with that said I would pull the piece that you have there ( I would not want a ****en or damaged piece sold with my name on it. Replace it with a like piece and see if it can be remaned into something else or keep it for your shelf items. I think we all have items on a shelf we will never sell. :eek:

just my thought
Ken

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2011, 9:37 PM
I have my pieces in two galleries that are both insured against damage minus commission or stolen items that I receive full retail price. I have had a chance at two other galleries but they will accept no liabilities for my items so I don't have any there. IMHO if a gallery doesn't have insurance or will not accept responsibility in writing for my pieces diplayed there they would not be there.

charlie knighton
11-15-2011, 10:25 PM
i like Bernie's attitude and the galleries he has chosen, but i do not have much experience with galleries.....i would like to know how much stuff that gallery has sold....ie 2 pieces or 20 pieces......and what % that gallery does of your total sales.....even at a craft show with you standing there, things happen

good luck, your pieces are unique, and i hope for a happy ending.....please advise of the outcome, short term and long term....sometimes win the battle lose the war

Ken Glass
11-15-2011, 11:53 PM
John,
You have the right attitude about the damage. Give the Gallery the opportunity to make good. I show in a couple of Galleries and have contracts that run from six months to a year. The contracts spell out both the Artisans and Galleries responsibility. In most cases the Gallery should cover any loss to the Artisan due to damage, theft, fire, water damage, etc. Mine also keeps an inventory of my turnings and I have a copy of it too, that is updated with monthly sales along with payment for sales during that month. I believe the contract that we both signed is very typical of a contractual agreement. I hope this helps and maybe you can use it as a dialog into entering into a contract with them in the future to remove any doubt of all the parties responsibility. Good Luck.

Scott Hackler
11-16-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't have any pieces in any galleries but I am sure glad to hear this discussion because I would have never guessed that there were galleries that wouldn't cover a theft or accident. Sorry for your problems John. I would guess the gallery will work with you and come to a satisfactory end.

Dennis Ford
11-16-2011, 7:14 AM
I have not heard of a gallery that would not cover theft but some will not cover damage. I have had only one piece that was damaged in a gallery, I feel like they are at least as safe in a gallery as they would be in my home.

John Beaver
11-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate the input.

I will look over the contracts and call them this afternoon.

Dave Ogren
11-16-2011, 1:51 PM
I have and have used a 4 page Consignment Contract. The gallery owners have said that it is perfect, and have eagerly signed it. They are the responsible party then. I can scan it but do not know how to attach it to a post. If you want a copy of it email me and I will email it back to you.
Thanks,

Dave daveogren@hotmail.com