PDA

View Full Version : Squaring Table Saw with a Dial Indicator

Corey Hallagan
03-05-2005, 9:14 AM
Good Morning All! As I said earlier I have bought a new Delta Contractors Table Saw. I haven't assembled it yet. Even though I was told it is not necessary, it can help to use a Dial Indicator to square the blade and fence on the saw. So I ordered from Grizzly a set that includes the dial, magnetic base and the rods etc. to attach it all. Question is, it has no instructions so what the heck do I do with this thing now that I got it? Anyone know of a web page or anything on how to use one of these things?

Thanks,
Corey

Larry Anderson
03-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Check this article.
http://www.shopnotes.com/main/article-dialindicator.html

Larry

Corey Hallagan
03-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Wonderful, exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks,
Corey

Frank Pellow
03-05-2005, 1:32 PM
Correy, thanks for the question. Larry, thanks for the pointer. The dail indicator looks like a useful gizmo.

RichMagnone
03-05-2005, 1:36 PM
I actually went through this when I purchased my Jet Contractor saw. I cannot more heartily recommend the "PALS" system from in-line industries. For twenty bucks you can microadjust your table top rather than banging on it with a hammer and tightening down the trunion bolts "hit or miss". I don't know any better way to recommend the system other than to say that you will not regret that money spent.

Larry Anderson
03-05-2005, 1:59 PM
I agree completely Rich. Although the Pals are not something one uses often, they are sure nice when it's time to adjust.

Frank Pellow
03-05-2005, 2:38 PM
Rich and Larry, is the PALS thingy that you are talking about the same thing as a dial indicator?

Larry Anderson
03-05-2005, 3:49 PM
No, it attaches to the rear trunion of a contractors saw and allows you to make precise adjustments of the trunion using an allen wrench.

Karl Laustrup
03-05-2005, 4:05 PM
Corey, thanks for that question and Larry thanks for that website.

I bought a dial indicator from LV a couple of months ago, but haven't been able to check anything cause it's just been too cold. Course I didn't know how to use the thing, but I figured I'd learn.

You have made it much easier now, once I get back out to making sawdust. :)

Corey Hallagan
03-05-2005, 4:31 PM
I guess I wasn't the only one out there wondering what the heck to do with this thing! Thanks again Larry! On the PALS, I have been told by others to buy these for any contractors table saw. I am going to order a set.

Corey