PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0462 Lathe Drive Belts

ken gibbs
11-15-2011, 4:45 PM
I have a Grizzly G-0462 lathe that is about 8 months old. Yesterday the 1/4" X 22" drive V-belt burnt out. It did not burn up but the belt was so bad that it can not be used. The Grizzly folks were very kind and professional and are sending me a replacement under warranty. Has anybody had problems with this drive V-belt on this lathe? Could the problem be related to the dynamic speed change pully that moves when the operator makes a speed change?

Sid Matheny
11-15-2011, 9:51 PM
Looks like a Reeves style drive. If they are not lined up correctly they can eat a belt up in a hurry.

Sid

Fred Belknap
11-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Ken I had one of those lathes and the original belt didn't last very long. I took the old belt to an auto parts place and got a belt form them and it was still on it when I sold it. Grizzly sent me a new one but I never put it on. I don't think the belts are made of very good material. The inside of the pulley compartment was covered with black belt material.

Joe Landon
11-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Ken, this is a review I wrote about this lathe some time ago.

"The Grizzly G0462 Wood Lathe is an enticing machine based on it’s price point, horse power, and features. I would not recommend it. Don’t get me wrong, I have made some fairly nice pieces on it. However, I wish I had never purchased it. In one year I have replaced the belt around 10 times, replaced all bearings, replaced the tool rest, and replaced the tail stock hand wheel twice. The tail stock and head stock do not align, it vibrates, and is noisy."

I sold this lathe to the local pawn shop and purchased a Jet 1642 VS. I have not had any of these issues with the Jet.

Michelle Rich
11-16-2011, 7:28 AM
make sure your pulleys line up & the belt is straight. I've had a reeves drive for 20 yrs & never wore out a belt...

ken gibbs
11-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I believe you folks are right about alignment. The belt compartment was full of frazzed belt material. Grizzly is sending me a replacement belt under warranty and I will check the alignment when I install the replacement. The defective belt looks like it turned over while the drive end was running. If there are other bad things about to happen to my lathe, please send me your comments so I can take care of any problems while under warranty. Thanks foryour help.

Bill White
11-16-2011, 3:11 PM
Great post. I have the Grizz G1067Z reeves drive lathe.
Just pulled the cover to check the belt/drive stuff. No problems, but gave me a chance to clean out the dust and stuff. Good reminder for maintainance.
Do ya think that link belts would be better than the "v" belt? What about wear on the cast metal pulleys?
Bill

ken gibbs
11-16-2011, 6:18 PM
My update on the drive end of my Grizzly G0462 lathe. Today I checked the alignment between the drive head pully and the motor pulley. I found avery small crack in the head drive casting right where the 'L" bracket that holds the drive motor is attached to the drive end casting. The crack is visible in the casting edge and appears to be about 1/32 ". The crack takes the pulleys out of alignment by about 1/16". I called Grizzly C.S. who handed me off to the techincal services bunch. They promised to return my call but the T.S. guy said that because of the replacement cost he would have to check with his management and call me back.

Ny neighbor who is a good engineer said he could braze the crack and we could adjust the pulleys back as close as possible. It will be interesting to see whch way Grizzly jumps on my warranty claim. Thanks.

ken gibbs
12-01-2011, 7:27 AM
2nd Update on my Grizzly G0462 lathe.

After I contacted Grizzly about a warranty claim, they were very helpful. They sent me a replacement drive belt within one day of notification of this problem. And when I took off the access cover I found a micro crack on the cast iron casting right beside of the L bracket that bolts the drive motor to the casting. The crack in the casting was about tow inches long and I believe that this was causing a dynamic misalignment when the drive motor was running. Apparently the stress crack opened up a bit while the unit was running which caused the drive puly to become slightly off center which at up the belt.

And I would like to thank Grizzly Customer Service. Because it was a warranty claim, Grizzly sent me a brand new front end drive assemble. It was a bear to get on the unit by myself but it runs sweet. Th hardest part of this operation was packaging and packing the old unit with the crack into the dunage that Grizzly used to send me the replacement assembly.into the UPS system. The old unit is now in UPS hands and on the way to the MO plant.

Peter lewis
12-01-2011, 2:34 PM
Joe, is your JET 1642 VS input voltage 115 or 220 ?
And also what is the model No. of the inverter?