PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Birch Canisters

Baxter Smith
11-15-2011, 3:22 PM
After recently turning a lidded bowl for my daughters birthday, I felt like doing something else with a lid.
My son has a birthday coming up and he likes to cook, so I went looking for something to fit the bill.
Roughed these out about a year ago from some birch I had cut in Maine. There were supposed to be three different heights but someone;) started parting on the wrong line.

The knobs are from some apple my uncle had beside his lathe but never got to turn.

4 ½”d x 6 ½” for the shorter and 8” for the tall to the tops of the knobs. Finished with polymerized tung oil then buffed.
Your thoughts, comments, or suggestions are welcome!

David E Keller
11-15-2011, 3:30 PM
Those look great, Baxter! I'll bet he loves them... I'd love to have a nice set of canisters like that!

charlie knighton
11-15-2011, 3:52 PM
set of canisters are something even a new wife might not object to, very nice

John Keeton
11-15-2011, 3:55 PM
I guess I am going to have to break down and try some of these!!! Baxter, these are some of the nicer ones I have seen, and I like the larger sizes. The knobs are very fitting.

Tim Rinehart
11-15-2011, 4:01 PM
Very nice set. Where do you get polymerized tung oil? and/or...how do you know it's polymerized? I've heard this term, but am not familiar with the stuff. This is what the furniture makers use, am I correct?

Well done set, hope they get used frequently and for a long time!

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-15-2011, 4:31 PM
Great boxes, Bax but I really like the knobs. They must have been fun to turn and a challenge besides. You are also right to make these for your son. Somehow I never think mine would like something for the kitchen but as a cook for himself bachelor, he probably would.
faust

Jon Nuckles
11-15-2011, 5:38 PM
Pretty and practical; can't beat that.

Roger Chandler
11-15-2011, 5:54 PM
Boy, I'm liking those, Baxter.....................nice indeed! Pretty wood.........I would think your son will love them!

Hayes Rutherford
11-15-2011, 6:27 PM
Baxter, those are not only cool but useful!!

Dennis Ford
11-15-2011, 6:32 PM
These are very nice, I have only done a few lidded boxes but these made me want to do some canisters.

Russell Eaton
11-15-2011, 7:42 PM
Baxter you turn some very cool stuff. No exception here. Mice job.

Baxter Smith
11-15-2011, 8:38 PM
Thanks for your thoughts!

....I'd love to have a nice set of canisters like that!
DAvid, all it takes is a lathe and some wood! Preferrably without too many voids! I knew there was a catch there somewhere for you.;)

.... I like the larger sizes......
I would have preferred even larger but the wood wouldn't allow it.;):) I had a length of birch that I was trying to use up before it went bad. Mounted the whole thing and turned a cylinder before parting it off into the 6 pieces.
Soaked all the piths with CA and they held together.

Where do you get polymerized tung oil? and/or...how do you know it's polymerized? I've heard this term, but am not familiar with the stuff. This is what the furniture makers use, am I correct?

Tim, I ordered a couple cans shortly after I started turning. Leo Vanderloo uses it on most of his bowls. So if it was good enough for Leo..... I thought I would try some. He directed me to Lee Valley(Canada-where else:)).
They have sealer and the finsh coat. The sealer can be used first, or can be mixed with the finish to reduce the gloss. I have tended to just use the undiluted finish lately and let the number of coats determing the gloss. It is thicker than the other oils I use. It is not cheap.

Great boxes, Bax but I really like the knobs. They must have been fun to turn and a challenge besides. You are also right to make these for your son. Somehow I never think mine would like something for the kitchen but as a cook for himself bachelor, he probably would.
faust
Faust, the knobs and buttons were kind of fun to make so they would fit one inside the other. Was a good reminder of the appreciation to have for people who can turn more than one thing and have them exactly alike!:)

Curt Fuller
11-15-2011, 8:43 PM
My Gosh those are pretty Baxter! You've been cranking out some outstanding pieces!

jeff vanek
11-15-2011, 9:35 PM
very nice........

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2011, 9:46 PM
Really nice canisters Baxter. I have some in pecan drying. After seeing these I am anxious to get started on them.

Michelle Rich
11-16-2011, 7:32 AM
I'm sure he will delighted by this set. Don't tell him about the heights, he'll never notice. I would think these would look good in my kitchen :-)

Baxter Smith
11-16-2011, 7:53 PM
My Gosh those are pretty Baxter! You've been cranking out some outstanding pieces!
Thanks Curt. After almost two years of doing this, the number of roughouts I have is almost embarrasing. I tend to only grab the interesting ones to finish.

Really nice canisters Baxter. I have some in pecan drying. After seeing these I am anxious to get started on them.
Thanks Bernie.....and I am anxious to seem them!

I'm sure he will delighted by this set. Don't tell him about the heights, he'll never notice. I would think these would look good in my kitchen :-)
Thanks Michele. He stopped by the house the other day while I was gone and saw them sitting on the workbench. Told my wife he thought they looked cool. We will see what he says when he gets them.:rolleyes::)