PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Colt palm router

John Gregory
11-15-2011, 1:15 PM
I can by a factory reconditioned unit with a year warranty for $69.99. I have often thought a small router would be useful. What say you?
Should I go for it? Or pass on this one?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jim Rimmer
11-15-2011, 1:22 PM
That's a really good price and the Colt is a fine router. I bought one and then the DeWalt came out with a plunge base and I got one them. Much better especially for doing inlay work but not near the same price point. I would recommend looking for the DeWalt but would not say the Colt is no good.

Jerome Hanby
11-15-2011, 1:25 PM
Great price and a great little router. If it's not a one of a kind thing, could you pass along the source? (after you buy yours, of course <g>). Really great price if it comes with the case. I bought the single speed model off E-bay and tried to buy a case and found out the variable speed unit case doesn't fit the single speed unit...

John Gregory
11-15-2011, 1:31 PM
Here is the source, sorry about that. http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-pr20evsk-rt-colt-variable-speed-palm-router-kit/bshrpr20evsk-rt,default,pd.html?ref=em20111115

John Gregory
11-15-2011, 1:33 PM
The DeWalt looks great, but it is the price point that attracts me to the Colt. And it does get good reviews. I know that we would use it, not sure how often, but you never know until you have one. I bought a pin nailer years ago and I have used that way more than I thought I would.

Larry Anderson
11-15-2011, 2:03 PM
That is a great price, I paid more for my recon single speed.

Eric DeSilva
11-15-2011, 2:15 PM
That price shows $79. I think the $69 price is email only, so you have to be on the CPO mailing list.

david paul miller
11-15-2011, 2:58 PM
if you have pawn shops in your area you might want to check them from time to time, the price you see on the merchandise is not usually what you have to pay, i've gotten 3 brand new colt routers at different shops at $40.00 and $50.00 each. and a lot of other brand new or close to new, brand name tools at an average of .25 to .30 cents on a dollar .

Don Wacker
11-15-2011, 4:20 PM
That price shows $79. I think the $69 price is email only, so you have to be on the CPO mailing list.

Try this
http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-pr20evsk-rt-colt-variable-speed-palm-router-kit/bshrpr20evsk-rt,default,pd.html?ref=em20111115

John Gregory
11-15-2011, 5:03 PM
Try this
http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-pr20evsk-rt-colt-variable-speed-palm-router-kit/bshrpr20evsk-rt,default,pd.html?ref=em20111115

Same one that I sent. From my email it showed 69.99 but from here 79.99

Kent A Bathurst
11-15-2011, 5:07 PM
The DeWalt looks great, but it is the price point that attracts me to the Colt. And it does get good reviews. I know that we would use it, not sure how often, but you never know until you have one. I bought a pin nailer years ago and I have used that way more than I thought I would.

I have the Makita...you will use it a lot more than you would think. Easier and lighter to handle than a "real" router, and there is plenty enough muscle for lighter tasks. I grab mine before the PC, if it can do the job. Roundovers in particular are great with it.

Don Wacker
11-15-2011, 5:08 PM
Thats wierd maybe this one.
http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-pr10e-rt-colt-single-speed-palm-router/bshrpr10e-rt,default,pd.html

Mike Henderson
11-15-2011, 5:35 PM
Thats wierd maybe this one.
http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-pr10e-rt-colt-single-speed-palm-router/bshrpr10e-rt,default,pd.html
This one is single speed. The other is variable speed. I've never used the variable speed on my Colt, but I like the soft start. I don't know if the single speed has soft start or if it jerks on startup.

Mike

Don Wacker
11-15-2011, 5:41 PM
This one is single speed. The other is variable speed. I've never used the variable speed on my Colt, but I like the soft start. I don't know if the single speed has soft start or if it jerks on startup.

Mike

Sorry I tried. :) I get the same emails. I just bought a herd of eight PC690's and they came with free trim routers not VS from woodcraft. They really dont have enough power to jerk to much.

Don

Clint Olver
11-15-2011, 7:17 PM
I have the single speed colt. I love it, and use it all the time. All my decorative/profile routing is done with this router now.

C

Kent A Bathurst
11-15-2011, 7:25 PM
Sorry I tried. :) I get the same emails. I just bought a herd of eight PC690's and they came with free trim routers not VS from woodcraft. They really dont have enough power to jerk to much.

Don

Wanna make it seven?

Peter Quinn
11-15-2011, 7:32 PM
I have a colt and love it for lots of things. It gets used on every project, wish I had two or three sometimes for dedicated setups. I'm planning to get a dewalt mini plunge when money allows but I will not give up the colt or replace it. Mine is variable speed, but I have never actually used this, it's always run top speed. It seemed important at the time but has proven virtually useless. I only spin small bits with it that require the high speed.

Matt Kestenbaum
11-15-2011, 8:25 PM
I have the bosch colt with the variable speed and it is a great little router -- surprisingly powerful, stable and comfortable in the hand. I have only two real complaints with it--like my other Bosch routers--is that it (they) are not readily compatible with standard (porter cable style) inserts/bushinings. Also, the black base plate would better swapped for a clear version, which I think the Dewalt has.

John A langley
11-15-2011, 8:42 PM
I have two of the Colt routers and love them. The $99 for the new one is a very good price. I wouldn't hesitate for one minute if I needed a new one

Robert Chapman
11-15-2011, 9:26 PM
I have a Colt variable speed and the DeWalt. Save your money and buy the DeWalt. Many times I have bought the cheaper tool only to buy the better one later. The DeWalt is much better.

johnny means
11-15-2011, 11:14 PM
I'll be the naysayer in the bunch. If you search the Creek, you will find a few of us who really hate our Colts. IMO they have a major design flaw which makes the base prone to locking in an out of square position. I spent months trying to figure out why my roundovers would mysteriously become beads. I might use mine for rough trimming and for some rustic affect I do freehand, but I would never trust it for precision or consistancy. I get better results from my $99 Rigid laminate trimmed.

John Coloccia
11-16-2011, 12:17 AM
As a Colt owner, I can say it was awesome for what it was when I bought it. It was the logical successor to the PC 310....the 310 is still a better router IMHO but discontinued, so the Colt was all that was available really. With the introduction of the Dewalt, there's really no contest IMHO. The Dewalt blows it away. Personally, I wouldn't buy another Colt though I use mine all the time. Everytime I whip it out I wish I had the Dewalt.

John Gregory
11-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Well I bought it. The price was the deciding factor Amazon does have a Dewalt DWP611 on sale for $115, bare tool no extras. Add a plunge base and it is $175. I did not know about the $115 price until today. but I think the colt will do for me.