PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection for turning

Michael Ginsberg
11-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I was planning on getting an Oneida pro1500 system for my shop (mostly turning but have most typical tools as well). I wanted enough "guts" to effectively have dual ports (front and back) while turning. Anyone have opinions about Clearview vacs vs. Oneida. I was ready to get the Oneida but was suggested that I consider the Clearview. I want to get this once!!
Thanks

Paul Heely
11-15-2011, 12:17 PM
I have a 3HP Dust Gorilla from Oneida. I looked at the ClearVue cyclones when I was shopping and it seemed to be more of a parts kit that needed assembly instead of a ready to go system, but it was cheaper.

Call either company and talk with them about what you are trying to do. I found them both to be very helpful when I was shopping.

I've been very happy with my Dust Gorilla except for one minor issue. The thing sucks anything that gets in its way, including 25' tape measures and rolls of duct tape. If it makes to the bin it's not so bad to get back, but I did have a roll of duct tape get stuck in an elbow once.

You are welcome to come check out my system if you are interested.

Michael Ginsberg
11-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Paul, are you satisfied when two chutes open at once while turning (that is how I like to capture as much dust while sanding)?
Does their HEPA get all the fine dust without getting back in to the shop?

Paul Heely
11-15-2011, 1:08 PM
I have a single 5" hose that I use, never got around to running real duct work though it is on my to do list. I have no doubt that it would handle 2 chutes at once. I have my DC in a closet I built. The air from the closet vents back into the shop. The inside of the closet is cleaner than the rest of the shop. I also run an ambient air cleaner while in the shop and on a timer once I leave, along with a box fan to circulate the air. My shop is in the basement so dust is always a concern. My feeling is that the dust I do find in the shop is stuff that never got sucked up in the first place, not stuff that came back out the DC. I could use a better setup for sanding.

Reed Gray
11-15-2011, 1:09 PM
The Clear View was not out when I got my 3 HP Oneida system. I find it interesting that I could not find air flow rates and static pressure listings for their system. It may have been there but I could not find it. I would think that the 5 hp motor would require a 30 amp circuit, while the 3 hp Oneida will run on a 20 amp circuit. I consider my system to be one of the best tool buys I made for my shop, along with my lathe, and a 16HD Laguna band saw. With the fancy pleated paper filters, if everything is properly hooked up, there is no dust vented back into the shop. This is very unlike my old 1hp, on a sled, cloth bag, no cyclone collector which would start up with a small dust plume every time.

robo hippy

Michael Ginsberg
11-15-2011, 1:21 PM
Thanks all!

Baxter Smith
11-15-2011, 1:45 PM
I can't compare but I do have the clearvue with 8 machines hooked up. It works fine for all but definitely stronger when only one 6" gate is open at a time.

David E Keller
11-15-2011, 3:38 PM
I've got the clearvue, and it's been a good machine. There is 'some assembly required', but I didn't feel like I could get as much machine for that price elsewhere. I also love the blast gates that come with the DC. I've never seen the other you mentioned, but it sounds like there are happy campers in both groups.

Jack Mincey
11-15-2011, 7:21 PM
I've been using a 2 1/2 HP dust gorilla for a few years now and as Reed said it has been one of my best purchases as well. I use a 5" hose when sanding and it gets 99% of the dust. It even gets a lot of the chips when I'm turning small spindle work like crow calls which is great being that most of my crow calls are turned from Cocobolo. I choose the 2 1/2 HP model since it is just off the performance of the 3 HP, but uses about the same amount of electricity as a 2 HP due to a more efficient motor. If you use one of these babies for hours a day they can use a little electricity and it isn't real good on them to turn them off and on every few minutes. Which ever system you get, read all you can about the duct work. If it isn't done correct the efficiency of the system is hit pretty hard.
Jack

terry mccammon
11-15-2011, 7:50 PM
If you do much research on dust collection you will find that for a lot of folks it can get to be a real emotional issue. Read about and understand the issues surrounding duct work (size, turns, materials, static pressure drop, static electricity, etc.) a proper installation will make or break the actual performance of your system. I very strongly recommend "Workshop Dust Collection" by Sandor Nagyszalanczy. I have a clearvue selected on the basis of static pressure curves compared to any of the competition. Both firms were very good to work with in my experience. My DC is the single most important tool I own.

Harry Robinette
11-15-2011, 8:38 PM
I heard that the Laguna is a more powerful unit then the Oneida with better filtration and it's cheaper but it's what I heard. I just use a 1200 CFM Delta with a 4" Y and 2 pieces of 4" flex and stay hose works great.

Michael Ginsberg
11-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks all. I am going with the Oneida Pro 1500 model. It is shorter and will be a better fit as to my max. height to the above floor is exactly 8ft.. I think either will do a fine job.
Thanks again for all the input you gave.