PDA

View Full Version : airbrush

David Reed
11-15-2011, 11:17 AM
I am interested in purchasing an airbrush. The prices are all over the map. What is the difference in the plethora of products out there? Any suggestions on a good quality but not terribly pricey airbrush to look at?

David DeCristoforo
11-15-2011, 11:36 AM
AFAIC, this is the "best" brush for general work:

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/Double_Action-VL-3W.html

The "kit" is pretty complete and includes several extra tips and needles plus everything you need except the compressor. Don't waste the money on a cheap brush. You will never get the results you want. It's like anything else. Good equipment is worth the extra dough. But the price on the Paasche kit seems pretty reasonable for what you get.

Dan Hintz
11-15-2011, 11:37 AM
What do you need to do with it?

If you're simply spraying on a coating of a watery-thin substance, the $15 Harbor Freight models are plenty adequate (I use one for spraying a laser marking material on metal pieces). If you want fine control, thin lines, etc., it pays to move up to a more expensive model... something in the $75-100 range (or on up, if you really want a nice one).

Sean Hughto
11-15-2011, 11:39 AM
It depends what you want to do with it. Do you need only simgle action, or do you require double action? The better ones have less plastic and better machining (think thread and such) that make them easier to clean, more robust, and smoother to use. I personally like Iwata.

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-15-2011, 10:59 PM
I use & recommend a dual action gravity feed Iwata if your looking for a high quality air brush.

Joe Landon
11-15-2011, 11:26 PM
I use and recommend the Paasche VL-3W Double Action Airbrush. It is a middle of the road brush.

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2011, 10:42 AM
David I bought a combo set off the big auction site for I think around $110. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money and then find I didn't like it. I got three airbrushes. One single action and two dual action with the compressor. Came with hoses and everything I needed to get started. With that being said I have upgraded a couple of the airbrushes to dual action Iwata and use the first ones for like spraying lacquer and water based finished.

Richard Allen
11-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Binh Pho has and recommends the Iwata air brushes.

David Reed
11-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the input. I think I will pluck a Paasche VL-3W Double Action from the list. Looks like a well respected and rated tool and not too pricey.

Jim Burr
11-16-2011, 11:53 AM
I love Craigs list...picked up the VL-3, 2 bottles, bowl, water trap and a HF compressor for $60. The seller did nail art so I know it shoots thicker liquids. It can pay to look around since I'm usually broke from buying pen kits! Admittedly, I have yet to use it, it was one of those "I'm gonna need that some day and this is a cool deal!" moments. I have lots of ideas though!!

Bob Bergstrom
11-16-2011, 1:01 PM
Use a 40% off one item coupon at hobby lobby or Michael's for an Iwata.

Dan Hintz
11-16-2011, 1:16 PM
Use a 40% off one item coupon at hobby lobby or Michael's for an Iwata.
If you sign up for their emails, you get a 50% coupon... I'd say we also get a 50% coupon about 1-in-3 to 1-in-4 purchases (she drags me along to purchase an item separately). There are a few restrictions on the coupons, like they can't be used on Cricket stuff (the vinyl cutter wannabe), but that shouldn't effect you.

David Reed
11-16-2011, 2:02 PM
Coupons sound great but I cannot seem to locate the airbrush on the Michael's website. Got a link? Found the 40% coupon, not the 50

Bob Bergstrom
11-16-2011, 3:44 PM
I am not sure if they have an Iwata there but I believe they sell Badger and Pasche. I can't find them on their site either. I haven't needed one for a while I know I've seen them in the stores. I bought the Iwata at Hobby Lobby. I think they had three kits. I see you can't access pictures of them on Hobby Lobby's site either. I guess you have to go to the stores. It is strange that they don't show their items on line. A friend and I used our 40% off coupons at Hobby Lobby. If you are spraying anything bigger than a couple of inches wide I would advise you buy the better Harbor Freight Detail gun. It works well and is much better to apply color over a larger area. It is sometimes on sale for about $35. I have not used their cheaper guns.

Jack Gaskins
11-16-2011, 4:07 PM
SO, does spraying laquer and thin finishes apply better to the turnings versa using a normal spray can?

Larry Pickering
11-16-2011, 4:48 PM
I sell paint gun including air brushes in my business, you get what you pay for. Iwata, Pasche and even Badger make great products. The air brush that I use is an Iwata. If your painting large areas you may want to consider one with a jar on the bottom, if your doing small areas look at the top gravity feed units, the best price on the iwata top feed is Binh Pho's web site; www.binhpho.com

Jim Burr
11-16-2011, 4:59 PM
Good post Larry!! I have 2 bottles with mine...on the assumption of moving on to larger work...and they don't spill...Thanks for the pointer!! But...I want to (at this moment in time) shoot only dye. Let me pose a question for the future...in pen blank casting I use Pearl Ex powder. If I were to shoot this for whatever reason...what would you offer for tips?

Jacob Muldowney
11-16-2011, 5:19 PM
My other hobby is airbrushing. For your money you can't go wrong with a Badger. Made in America, lifetime warranty, and Ken is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. If you are looking for something basic and cheap for spraying finishes I would go with the Harbor Freight brush that was mentioned. Just my $0.02.

Bob Bergstrom
11-16-2011, 5:51 PM
Good post Larry!! I have 2 bottles with mine...on the assumption of moving on to larger work...and they don't spill...Thanks for the pointer!! But...I want to (at this moment in time) shoot only dye. Let me pose a question for the future...in pen blank casting I use Pearl Ex powder. If I were to shoot this for whatever reason...what would you offer for tips?

I mix "Pearl Ex" with lacquer and spray it through my air brush. I have had no problems. it is very fine mica powder and seems to pass through with the lacquer. I have shot fine glitter trough a detail gun but it is too big to go through an airbrush. It is also a pain to clean out of a gun. Pearl Ex is not a problem and clears with the solvent.

Jim Burr
11-16-2011, 7:17 PM
Woo hoo!!! Thanks Bob!

Larry Pickering
11-17-2011, 8:53 AM
I mix "Pearl Ex" with lacquer and spray it through my air brush. I have had no problems. it is very fine mica powder and seems to pass through with the lacquer. I have shot fine glitter trough a detail gun but it is too big to go through an airbrush. It is also a pain to clean out of a gun. Pearl Ex is not a problem and clears with the solvent.
I agree with Bob