PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal? Good lathe?

Brad Simmons
11-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Hello Gentlemen. I'm just getting in to turning and am on a budget, so like most people I'm looking for a good deal. I found this ad on my local Craigslist and wondered if it is...

Duracraft WL -- 1236 Wood Turning Lathe w/stand and tools - $225
This professional grade, ¾ hp, 5-speed wood turning lathe is complete and works great. It offers a 12" swing and 37" center-to-center working length. It is mounted on a sturdy, finished wood lathe stand with two velvet lined drawers that contain a full complement of accessories and wood turning tools, including 4 standard turning knives, 12 custom made detailing tools and 2 rasps. Accessories include a drive spur, 4 ¼" drive hub, small and large live tail centers, and both 6" and 12" tool rests. Adjustment wrenches and handles are all intact and unbroken. Original instruction manual and documentation is included.

Also available is a complete 6-pc set of Craftsman wood turning knives in like-new condition for $50 if purchased separately or can be included with the lathe set described above for $250 total package price.
http://images.craigslist.org/5Y25T05X23kf3m03l7bbe52feb48fdc3912f0.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/5Z45W25S03n33k43pabbed94bb921178b1af8.jpg

I would welcome your input. Thanks!

tom martin
11-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Brad,
I would stay away from mono tube lathes. I don't know what area you live in, but here in Wisconsin there is an oliver lathe in Wausau for $350. This is an industrial lathe- very heavy duty and well made . It appears to be in very good condition http:// wausau.craigslist.org/tls/2700917518.html. If you are too far from central wis for this lathe, be patient and keep your eyes open. I usually see a few great deals a year on craigs list, auctions and even garage sales (picked up a used Rockwelll heavy duty lathe for $100!)
Good luck,
Tom

charlie knighton
11-15-2011, 10:49 AM
what is the spindle size? most accesseries are for 1 inch, 1 1/4, or larger. if the spindle is non-standard you risk buying something if you upgrade in future having to buy all new accesseries. such as chucks and extra face plates

Reid Strand
11-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Not such a good deal. Its basically the craftsman. They generally ask for about $100 on craigslist around here. I bought one a few years ago because I wanted some of the tooling and the stand it was on. Paid him a fifth of bourbon (not the fancy stuff either.) I guess since I still use it on occasion for sanding or doing small stuff, that was a good deal.

curtis rosche
11-15-2011, 10:59 AM
if it was a craftsman from before the 30s, its usable, but those are all cast iron. dont get that lathe, you will wish you had waited for a better one every time you turn it on

Roger Chandler
11-15-2011, 11:01 AM
In this day, that is not what you want period! You can do much better...........look for threads about lathes......you can pick up a new Delta Midi model 46-460 with all the features for about $550.00 and then if for some reason you decide turning is not for you, you can sell it in a heartbeat!

Mike Campbell KS
11-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Hello Gentlemen. I'm just getting in to turning and am on a budget, so like most people I'm looking for a good deal. I found this ad on my local Craigslist and wondered if it is...

I would welcome your input. Thanks!

I would stay away from this lathe. It is the same as the Craftsman, Rigid, and who knows how many others. It has MT1 tapers and a 3/4" spindle that will make all of your chucks, faceplates, and centers useless when you upgrade to a nicer lathe, if you get hooked. I bought 2 of these and a bucket containing 20 gouges, several dead and live centers, faceplates, and other assorted pieces from an estate sale for $125 a few years ago. I still use one of them for a buffing setup, but neither lathe was true enough for turning. I think this machine might discourage you from this hobby if it was anything less than pristine. If you must work on a budget, I would say look at one of the Jet clones from Grizzly, HF,...etc.

I use the Delta 40-460, and I know if I had bought this or a comparable Jet when I started I would have saved a lot of $$$.

Brad Simmons
11-15-2011, 4:31 PM
Sounds like I should keep looking. Thanks guys.