PDA

View Full Version : Bowl steady question

Prashun Patel
11-15-2011, 9:14 AM
I'm trying to make a bowlsteady for my 12" lathe. Most of the shopmade solutions are variations of Jeff Nichol's style (below, 1). But doesn't this 'framed' solution limit the size of the object you can turn? Or is it enough to have the bowl (in my case) supported closer to the middle where the diameter reduces?

What are the downsides of a Oneway-style steady rest (below, 2)?

Any experience appreciated.

Wally Dickerman
11-15-2011, 9:22 AM
I've had a 3-wheel steady rest,(can't see a reason for 4 wheels) that worked great. I now use the Oneway 2 wheeler and I've found no downside to it. It has a use that the 3 wheeler doesn't have. It can be turned and use on the backside of a thin platter. The 3 or 4 wheeler gets in the way more than the 2 wheeler does. Also, easier to install and to move back out of the way. Also, as you've said, the steady rest that encircles the vessel limits the size of what you can turn.

Robert McGowen
11-15-2011, 9:33 AM
I have 2 of the One Way rests. I rarely use both of them at the same time, but I have done so on a few occassions. When using one of the One Ways, you can still sand the entire piece, plus it is easy to move out of the way without taking it off of the lathe.

One thing to keep in mind if you build one is that :)WHEN:) you get a laser style hollowing rig (or if you already have one), make sure that the laser can clear the frame or wheels.

Prashun Patel
11-15-2011, 9:40 AM
Thanks, Guys.

I see Jeff's style doesn't limit the diameter down near the ways. However, this 'thin' solution might only be possible with a metal frame; I'm not sure a plywood one would have the same integrity....?

For that matter, I'll still need to make a base for even a Oneway style rest that would take up an inch or so diameter - unless I bolted that base directly to the lathe stand. Would you advise against that?

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2011, 9:42 AM
I have the oneway in the second pictures and have found no downsides to it. I use it on most bowls and platters.

Baxter Smith
11-15-2011, 10:06 AM
..... I'll still need to make a base for even a Oneway style rest that would take up an inch or so diameter ...
Prashun, the Oneway pivots so that the part that bolts to the ways can be behind the rim of the bowl and closer to the headstock. If you can make one of a similar style, I think you would be able to keep your 12" swing.

Prashun Patel
11-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Yes, of course! Thanks, Baxter.

charlie knighton
11-15-2011, 10:44 AM
i use the oneway on bowls and hf's, i do not have a lazer so i use caliphers, the caliphers are very hard on a steady that circles the form, sometimes i will use two oneway steadies, but mostly just use one, mostly do hf

no downside to oneway

Bob Hamilton
11-15-2011, 11:21 AM
The bowl steady is just for bowls and platters, to reduce rim flutter when turning large diameter, thin walled bowls or thin platters. The three or four wheel steady is for spindles and hollow forms that require support against deflection off center. I have both styles and use whichever is appropriate for the project.

Take care
Bob

Reed Gray
11-15-2011, 1:17 PM
I have never used one. If I turned big hollow forms, I would consider it. If I need to steady, I use my left hand, and hand pressure = tool pressure. I watched Mike Mahoney and Stuart Batty do their 2 Ways to Turn a Bowl demo at the AAW Symposium this last year, and their bowl was about 8 inches deep, maybe 14 wide and 1/8 inch thick. They didn't even use their hands to steady the bowl.

robo hippy

Prashun Patel
11-15-2011, 1:45 PM
Reed,
I totally take yr point (btw, I've seen yr videos; thanks for those!!!). My forms are not that large (< 12") and up until now I've dealt with vibration by refining my sharpening and turning technique; I hope to continue in that direction. However, I'm cleaning up my basement and came across some old t-track, and roller blades. So, I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it feels.

Reed Gray
11-16-2011, 12:47 AM
I do know that there are different hardness wheels, some softer and some harder. I think the softer ones are preferred.

robo hippy