PDA

View Full Version : thailand flooding

anthony wall
11-15-2011, 9:04 AM
well after three weeks the floods have today cleared our living room but not yet low enough to clear my workshop we lost a couple of pieces of furniture when the water got inside the polythene not too bothered though as they were only cheap things we bought as temporary; furniture untill i could build the pieces we want .the sludge left behind is a whole different ball game though .a lot of the shrubs in the garden have shed their leaves so i am assuming that they are lost as will be the lawn .all things considered it looks like we got off relatively easy unlike most of our neighbours some of who have lost almost everything

Ted Calver
11-15-2011, 11:17 AM
What no snakes?? Glad to hear it's almost over. When I lived in Thailand in the early seventies we had to watch where we stepped. Slithery things were all over the place.

Michael Weber
11-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Glad you got off easier than most. I find your locale interesting. If you don't mind my being nosy:rolleyes: what's the story of you living in Thailand? No need to elaborate if you don't want to, just consider me insensitive. ;)

anthony wall
11-15-2011, 7:51 PM
What no snakes?? Glad to hear it's almost over. When I lived in Thailand in the early seventies we had to watch where we stepped. Slithery things were all over the place.yes ted plenty of snakes and during the flooding even crocodiles lots of venomous spiders too,i forgot to mention the snakes as they are an everyday thing around where i live the most annoying thing though are the mosquitoes with a discomfort factor way above their size

anthony wall
11-15-2011, 8:08 PM
Glad you got off easier than most. I find your locale interesting. If you don't mind my being nosy:rolleyes: what's the story of you living in Thailand? No need to elaborate if you don't want to, just consider me insensitive. ;)hi mike dont mind insensitive or inquisitive ,around seven years after losing my wife to cancer and the same seven years of going on holiday with my children (i think they felt it was their duty to take me along)i decided to go on my own to thailand to visit an old friend who had asked me numerous times to visit and met my now wife on the second visit i took her back to england in a typical english summer but she could not cope with the "cold"so i relocated to thailand and i am very happy to have done so ,that was almost five years ago now , that enough for you mike?

Michael Weber
11-15-2011, 9:27 PM
Yes, just curious. It's a bit unusual, that's all.

anthony wall
11-16-2011, 2:22 AM
Yes, just curious. It's a bit unusual, that's all.maybe not as unusual as you think mike i have friends living near to me who have relocated from england 'scotland ,wales, ireland ,italy, france, usa ,germany,australia and canada plus aquaintances from many other countries who i cannot actualy refer to as friends so as i said earlier not so unusual .most are married to thai ladies but not all

Curt Harms
11-16-2011, 8:10 AM
Speaking of flooding in Thailand, has anyone priced computer hard drives lately? It seems Thailand is the source of a LOT of hard drives and components. Those plants were impacted by flooding. Prices have about doubled and Dell is talking about allocating hard drives to higher profit products so cheap PCs might not be so cheap. Ah, the global economy.

Greg Portland
11-16-2011, 2:19 PM
Curt, I was going to post the same thing! 2x is generous... I've seen a 3x increase on OEM drives from Newegg ($80 2TB is now $220+).