PDA

View Full Version : computer monitoring software for the mac

Brian Ashton
11-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi y'all

I rent out two rooms to students and think one of them or both may be mucking with my mac. Was wondering if there is a software I can get that will take pictures with the onboard camera when it's active and or capture screen shots.

Also wondering if there is a software that will allow me to log into the computer remotely and operate the camera and microphone.

Cheers

Peter Kelly
11-14-2011, 10:26 PM
How about logging out when you're not there.

Brian Tymchak
11-15-2011, 12:16 PM
You could install keystroke monitoring software on your machine. I have not used it but I hear that WebWatcher (webwatchernow.com) is a good package with remote monitoring capabilities. It is not shareware though. Since it's your machine and from your post, I assume you have not authorized others to use your machine, then you might escape the legal issues with spying on others. (however, I'm not offering a legal opinion there.) A court found a man guilty recently for using a keystroke logger on a shared computer to spy on his wife and prove she was having an affair.

Brian Tymchak
11-15-2011, 4:23 PM
Having given it a second thought, I would consider putting that machine in a locked cabinet while you are not using it. That's the best security. Or (not sure you can do this on Macs) put a boot-up/power up password on the machine.

Brian Kent
11-15-2011, 5:04 PM
You can absolutely add password control. No problem.

John McClanahan
11-15-2011, 5:21 PM
Password your account. Then add a separate account that others can use. Make it a restricted account so they can't change anything important.

John - from my new 27" iMac

Brian Ashton
11-16-2011, 6:44 AM
Hi guys. Password protecting the computer is, I hope, obvious to anyone but I want to go beyond that and catch him at it by taking a picture of him.

Peter Kelly
11-17-2011, 10:09 AM
http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Requires that the computer being used for monitoring has ^ARD installed on it as well.

Otherwise, to disable automatic login of your machine, System Preferences>Accounts>Your Account>Login Options>Automatic Login "Off". Just be certain you're absolutely clear on your user p-word.

Art Mulder
11-17-2011, 10:15 AM
As far as I know, when the camera is on, so is the LED beside it. It's physically wired that way specifically to safeguard you from software that turns on the camera without your knowledge.

Jim Koepke
11-17-2011, 12:57 PM
As far as I know, when the camera is on, so is the LED beside it.

That is where a small piece of electrical tape can come in handy.

jtk

Tim Morton
11-17-2011, 10:32 PM
you can certainly put a camera in the room, and control it remotely. But i have not heard of anyone controlling the built in camera remotely. But Yes you can log into your mac without purchasing any software using VPN. So maybe its possible.

Art Mulder
11-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Another option is to look into one of the "parental control" software packages and install that on the system. I believe that they can be configured to do things like email you a list of all the websites that the system visits, and/or keep a full log that you can browse later.