PDA

View Full Version : Cocobolo Warning

Tom LaRussa
03-04-2005, 11:48 PM
I started turning cocobolo chisel handles a couple weeks ago.

I had read all about the respiratory problems associated with tropical woods, so I used a good mask/filter/thingie, and since I didn't wheeze or anything I figured everything was okay.

NOT!

I found out the hard way -- via an itch so bad that and in so private a location that common decency prevents me from describing it -- that for men at least, when working cocobolo, it is a very good idea to wash your hands very, very, very well, prior to taking a restroom break.

:eek: :o :eek: :o

You might also consider stocking up on antihistamines.

David Fried
03-04-2005, 11:56 PM
A lesson not soon forgotten. The first time I ran cross-country in high school I was very sore. My father gave me some Bengay. Lesson learned. :eek:

Alan Turner
03-05-2005, 3:22 AM
I am sorry to hear of your malady, but for goodness sakes be careful that when scratching, one of the refurbed chisels is not in your hand!

Bryan Nuss
03-05-2005, 5:38 AM
Sorry to hear you got a handle on it!
Thanks for the warning.

Mark Singer
03-05-2005, 9:05 AM
Tom,

It sounds like you are mixing woodworking and some of your other interests:rolleyes: ...If you would keep your hobbies and pastimes seperated and only work on one at a time ....well when you play with wood ....play with wood...just one wood at a time:rolleyes:

Bill Arnold
03-05-2005, 9:18 AM
Reminds me of a similar experience with jalapenos.....:)

Keith Cope
03-05-2005, 9:18 AM
Same goes for cooking with habanero peppers...DAMHIKT! ;)

Keith

Richard Wolf
03-05-2005, 9:20 AM
Tom, stay away from the CA glue.

Richard

Bill Lewis
03-05-2005, 9:30 AM
Reminds me of a similar experience while making ground cayanne...that hurt

AJ Hamler
03-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Not quite the same, but years ago when my daughter was about five or six I decided she should have an ant farm. I helped her set it up, of course, and at some point during the process I either brushed hair out of my face or scratched my neck or something, and managed to put about half the colony down my shirt collar. Didn't realize it for several minutes -- long enough for them to migrate into the terra incognita inside my shirt.

A.J.

Jim Becker
03-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Cocobolo, like many of the rosewoods, is not just a problem for respiration, but also as a physical irritant, which apparently you've found out the hard way. For many people, it will affect their hands, neck and arms and when you consider that those areas have tougher skin than, umm...other areas...ouch!! 'Hope you feel better, soon! (Some folks have the same issue with Walnut...)

Michael Stafford
03-05-2005, 11:30 AM
I understand that there are two kinds of people: those that are allergic to cocobolo and those that will be.... ;)

Mark Singer
03-05-2005, 12:49 PM
It may be a case of the " Honey don't worry, its only cocabola" ..."Yeah I was doing a little woodworking on the fishing trip to Mexico":eek:

Jessica Singer
03-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Can you believe my dad gets away with writing this stuff???

Dale Thompson
03-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Can you believe my dad gets away with writing this stuff???

Jessica,
You are absolutely correct in admonishing your dad for spewing levity at the angst of a fellow SMC member. :( Instead, he should have been sympathetic and warned Tom against the use of Cyanocrylate adhesives.

The embarrassment of walking into my Doctor's office after an adverse confrontation with that stuff is incredible. ;) With all of the office staff laughing, my Doc tells me to take advantage of my advanced dementia and go home and "forget about it". :cool: What a relief! :D ;)

Dale T.

Glenn Clabo
03-06-2005, 7:26 AM
And I thought now that he has his daughter on line to keep him in line...he would at least try to!

Mike Holbrook
03-06-2005, 9:59 AM
Bad! you people are bad! I could bring up my experience with burning poison Ivy for my father but the memory is just toooo, well irritating.

scott spencer
03-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Yikes! A worthwhile warning to post! Would've had to learn the hard way too!

I'll bet the knotholes are killers! ;-)