PDA

View Full Version : Two 240 volt tools on same line OK or Not?

Chuck Radgowski
03-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Bought the DC2000 web special 239 +55 shipping 294.00 total the 65 DB sold me anything that quiet has to be balanced and besides its running all the time so i wanted it quiet. I hope I made the right choice Its 240 volt so it will share the 30 amp circuit with the TS for awhile The 10 gauge wire I have run should handle it I will let you guys know.

I started having second thoughts about this set up even though I used 10/3 wire. The TS pulls a hell of a load to start
the two tools are
Delta unisaw 12 amps
DC2000 Penn State 9 amps
total 21 amps
this is below the rated capacity of 10 gauge wire (25 foot run) 30 amps with a 30 amp breaker but am I pushing it? Is there a chance I will burn up the TS starter?

Russ Massery
03-05-2005, 1:08 AM
IMHO I would say no as long as you don't turn the machines on at the same time

Jeff Sudmeier
03-05-2005, 8:30 AM
According to the books, you should not have a problem. If you kick the breaker more than once, I would be running separate lines.

Jim Becker
03-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Depends on where you are and what you prefer. Some jurisdictions don't like multiple "appliances" on the same 240v circuit. Personally, I like things like the DC and compressor on dedicated circuits, but do have some sharing of circuits in my shop for other tools that don't operate simultaniously. That's just my preference. If you do share, your circuit branches should be done in a j-box, not at an outlet.

Ken Garlock
03-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Chuck, I wouldn't worry. The breaker mfg r's understand that there are start up surges on the line, and therefore build delays into the the breakers, say about 2 to 3 tenths of a second. Second, the 10-3 wire can stand the load even if you powered up both devices at exactly the same time. The current ratings you see such as 30amp for 10 gauge is a steady state value, you are nowhere near that with your equipment. I would not worry about doing any damage to either motors on the circuit.

Last, remember the circuit breaker is there to protect the wiring, not the equipment. :)

Hook them up and get to work....

Chuck Radgowski
03-05-2005, 6:58 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts. It would work fine but for my own piece of mind I am going to run a seperate circuit with 15Amp breakers.

Stephen Dixon
03-05-2005, 9:33 PM
Be careful that you don't go too small with your breakers. The NEC requires that the breakers on a motor circuit must be capable of starting the load. They recommend, but don't require, that the breaker be 2 1/2 times the full load current. For a 2 Hp motor, that is 30 amps, and for a 3 Hp motor, that is
45 amps,(it comes out to 42.5 amps and you use the next size larger). BTW you must use their ratings for the motors, not the full load amps listed on the motor itself. For 230-240V that is 1 1/2 Hp 10 amps, 2 Hp 12 amps, 3 Hp 17 amps, 5 Hp 28 amps. I would use 12Ga wire and a 20 amp breaker for your DC and leave the TS circuit alone, a 30 amp breaker and 10 Ga. wire is fine for the saw.

Steve

Charlie Plesums
03-06-2005, 12:18 AM
I would put them on the same circuit as long as you didn't have a clever hookup that started them simultaneously with a single switch.

That setup would be far better than a separate 15 amp circuit.