PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Table Top Profile

Herb Blair
04-22-2003, 3:17 PM
I would like to hear what your favorite profiles for edging table tops are.
I use round over (sometimes with a bead) and ogee with a bead, depending on what type of table.
What do you have in your wallet?

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-22-2003, 6:33 PM
I have used all the profiles you have listed, as well as a few others over the years. To me, it really depends on the style of Table, and what strikes my fancy at the time. I have at times combined a couple of cutter profile cuts to get the effect I was after. The Ogee is elegant, and the round over, either on top or bottom edge works well as looks good. I think a cove cut is neat for certain things too. I really need to experiment more with using portions of several different profiles just to see what turns out.................like I will ever get time for that! ;) Great idea for a poll! Should be neat to see what different folks are doing.

Von Bickley
04-29-2003, 8:50 AM
Herb,

I voted for the "chamfer". I have used others but I have used the chamfer bit the most.

Jason Roehl
04-29-2003, 9:23 AM
I like the round-over, just for the fact that I prefer "simple elegance" as a theme in woodworking. I can appreciate the time, skill and effort that goes into something Victorian or the like, but in the end, I find myself attracted to simple, clean lines (but not necessarily pure Shaker). I also don't like sharp corners on wood, for the simple fact that they are more easily damaged (and they eventually will be, especially if kids or pets are around).

Byron Trantham
05-15-2003, 11:08 AM
I use the Thumb Nail bit. I have made several table top applications and have always gotten favorable comments on the profile.

Phil Phelps
05-15-2003, 5:41 PM
...Ok, Kevin. Send me the five dollars :p

Robert Henderson
05-15-2003, 7:20 PM
I prefer the classic thumbnail profile although I have used a chamfer as well!

Jim Becker
05-16-2003, 3:06 PM
Since most of my tables/cabinets are Shaker-style, I favor a plain, unprofiled edge or a beveled underside ("lightens" the look). I just ease the edge very slightly during the sanding process to eliminate sharp edges.

John Wadsworth
05-17-2003, 5:42 PM
The beveled underside is a very neat way of using full-width solid stock for rigidity and solid inertial feel yet having the thin edge make the work look light and elegant.