PDA

View Full Version : Light Stand

Todd Bin
11-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Hello Everyone. I recently saw a post where someone asked for the best light to use etc. I thought I might post this here to give the solution I use as well as to give others a launching off point. I got this idea from a class I recently took from DJMarks. It is really cheap and works great.

You get a 5 gallon bucket (You can probably figure out where I got mine from). A sack of quickcrete, a 4" diameter PVC pipe and a 3/4 inch diameter PVC pipe. You can drill 3/4" holes in the 4" PVC to put the cross members wherever you want. You can then clamp the cheap lamps to them and they also slide back and forth easily to position where you need. I also used a cross member to put a shelf made of MDF and strapped a 6 outlet stip to the pipe.

One small tip. If you use zip ties on the lamp clips it will keep them from falling off. Don't zip tie it too tight, otherwise you can't position the lamp as freely.

If anyone has some ideas for me to implement on my system please let me know. I am always open to improvements in design.

Enjoy,

Todd

Harry Robinette
11-14-2011, 8:49 PM
Good thinking looks like it serves you well. I have a half wall behind my lathe and I use 2 Moffet lamps with 100 watt.

Dave Mueller
11-15-2011, 1:05 AM
Todd,
I use a desk lamp mounted on a pipe, which is attached to an old brake drum. Desk lamp was ~$17, pipe and fittings were about $5 and the drum was free from a brake shop. It really works well, since it can be moved to shine light anywhere on a turning. The brake drum is heavy enough to keep it "planted" where I want it.
Dave