PDA

View Full Version : Question for Veritas Low Angle Jack owners

Joe Leigh
11-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I just received a new Veritas Low Angle Jack Plane. It seems I have a problem with keeping the blade straight as I change the depth of cut setting. the blade seems to angle to the right side deeper than the left when I make the cut deeper. So I loosen the cap retainer screw and adjust the blade parallel and then I have to adjust depth again....back and forth...it takes quite a while to get it so I take a full thing shaving. This is my first plane of this type, is this normal procedure for this style plane? Maybe the cap retainer screw needs to be tighter when I extend or retract the blade? I'm trying not to overtighten it.
Any input would be appreciated.

Prashun Patel
11-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Hmmm, i have that LA jack, but have not experienced this issue. This plane has lateral setscrews on either side of the blade to help keep it parallel. Have you set those?

I don't think the cap screw needs to be tighter. Is your depth adjuster fairly centered?

David Weaver
11-14-2011, 10:52 AM
You're maybe getting uneven pressure on the iron at the mouth, maybe a cap iron issue, maybe bedding. Who knows.

Call LV and ask them about it if you think it's really far out of whack. Otherwise (and without my LAJ handy, i can't remember how accessible the iron is), just get a small brass hammer, or a small anything hammer, i guess, and tap the iron into square each time you adjust.

You should see how bad some older planes are with that - adjusting for depth is always an adventure until you learn the plane and where to strike it to get it to adjust close to straight. it's a good skill to have, and a reminder why it's nice to learn your tools rather than to learn to replace them all the time.

Mike Holbrook
11-14-2011, 11:30 AM
First thing I would check is what Prashun mentioned. Loosen everything else up so the two screws in the sides of the plane are all that adjust the blade, use the adjusting side screws to hold the blade firmly in the middle of the mouth. Then back both screws off just a little and tighten up/adjust the other setting devices. If you are not use to having those screws on the side of the blade they may very well be throwing everything out of whack.

Joe Leigh
11-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks, I adjusted those two screws so the iron is centered but I left enough clearance so it doesn't bind. Maybe the capscrew doesn't have to be as loose as I make it to change the depth setting? I noticed it does have to be very loose to be able to adjust the blade into parallel.

Jim Koepke
11-14-2011, 12:05 PM
I do not have the Veritas LA Jack, mine is the LN LA Jack.

For bevel up planes it is my understanding that the lever cap needs to be loosened when adjusting the blade and then retightened for use.

To my knowledge the only planes with adjusters that can be adjusted with the lever cap tightened for use is the Bailey design used on bench planes.

For any design, the lever cap needs to be tightened enough to keep the blade from moving in use. If it requires tightening to the point of almost breaking or distortion, then something is not right.

jtk

jamie shard
11-14-2011, 12:08 PM
In my experience, there is a sweet spot of tightness for the side screws and level cap that allows for movement without skewing. You'll get there with a bunch of adjusting, probably having the set screws a little tighter than they are right now. Ultimately, there will be a little more movement in this design than the LN/Stanley/Bailey design, but in practice it's no big deal.

Joe Leigh
11-14-2011, 12:19 PM
In my experience, there is a sweet spot of tightness for the side screws and level cap that allows for movement without skewing. You'll get there with a bunch of adjusting, probably having the set screws a little tighter than they are right now. Ultimately, there will be a little more movement in this design than the LN/Stanley/Bailey design, but in practice it's no big deal.

Thanks, this seems to be the answer. I was hoping that once I get the parallel adjustment dialed in then I could just adjust the depth of cut without worrying lateral blade movement. Just my lack of experience with this type of mechanism. It does seem to be much more sensative than my bevel down LN planes.