PDA

View Full Version : New member, need help...

Jimmy L Taylor
11-13-2011, 10:55 PM
I am new to the laser industry and I have a question. I am trying to engrave some martini glasses. My problem is when I get the glass level and focused because of the severe angle of the glass the area im trying to engrave on is to the left of my home position. Is there a way I can make this work? Thanks!

Dee Gallo
11-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Hi Jimmy, welcome to the Creek!

Where is your home position? Mine is at the top left corner... I could not place anything farther left.

At any rate, that should not matter, since the laser will fire according to the document you've set up for it, so if you just note the position on the document, make sure your glass is in the corresponding spot of the table. Or, conversely, place the glass where you want it on the table and make sure your image is there on your document.

Of course, it will be essential to make sure your zero measurements are at the top left corner of the document so it matches the table rulers. Are you using the rotary or just doing it on the table? If rotary, you must set up the document differently. There is another thread here on that exact subject from a couple of days ago titled "Wine Bottles".

good luck, dee

Jimmy L Taylor
11-14-2011, 3:12 AM
im using the rotary, Ive done several glasses already but they have all been pretty flat. the martini glasses are at roughly a 45 degree angle. When I level it by raising the end with the stem it makes the top edge push to the left past my home position. Its not a issue with software setup. My home position is the top left too, but when I plug in the rotary the home is automatically moved to the left edge of the rotary.

Dan Hintz
11-14-2011, 6:35 AM
Martini glasses are one of the most difficult because of that angle, and as such, most are not able to do them (come to think of it, I'm not sure I've done one yet, at least using the rotary).

From your description, it sounds as if the rotary is locked into one location, and by the time you tilt one end upwards enough to make the glass wall horizontal, the edge of the wall is outside of your laser's table. If that's the case, "move the lock"... in other words, don't lock the rotary into the bracket that's tied to the table, move it farther in towards the middle of the table and lock it down with tape (or similar). You'll have to adjust your image by bringing the logo further down the page to compensate, but that shouldn't be an issue.

The real issue is by the time the rotary is tilted that far upwards, one end is sticking so far up in the air the X-axis bar hits it. The only way around that is to lower your table and use a much longer FL lens.

Mike Null
11-14-2011, 8:46 AM
You could do it the easy way and reverse the image and engrave the base of the glass.

Jimmy L Taylor
11-14-2011, 9:22 AM
Martini glasses are one of the most difficult because of that angle, and as such, most are not able to do them (come to think of it, I'm not sure I've done one yet, at least using the rotary).

From your description, it sounds as if the rotary is locked into one location, and by the time you tilt one end upwards enough to make the glass wall horizontal, the edge of the wall is outside of your laser's table. If that's the case, "move the lock"... in other words, don't lock the rotary into the bracket that's tied to the table, move it farther in towards the middle of the table and lock it down with tape (or similar). You'll have to adjust your image by bringing the logo further down the page to compensate, but that shouldn't be an issue.

The real issue is by the time the rotary is tilted that far upwards, one end is sticking so far up in the air the X-axis bar hits it. The only way around that is to lower your table and use a much longer FL lens.

Thats exactly whats happening....Im ok on the x axis, its touching, but it doesnt cause an issue because it doesnt move using the rotary. it just barely works. Now I may be able to move the rotary, never thought about that...

Jimmy L Taylor
11-14-2011, 9:23 AM
You could do it the easy way and reverse the image and engrave the base of the glass.

Also a good possibility...

Martin Boekers
11-14-2011, 9:46 AM
What I would do is get a sheet of acrylic and cut the holes that studs on the rotary base fit into. If you move the holes, say 5" away
from where they are now on the table base that may be enough to work. By doing it this way you have a standard positioning
that can easily be repeated. Not sure though, if the rotary will work with the extreme angle of the glasses, if it does you may have to
distort thr file to get an engraving that looks right.

Show us what you come up with!

Marty

Jimmy L Taylor
11-14-2011, 11:59 AM
What I would do is get a sheet of acrylic and cut the holes that studs on the rotary base fit into. If you move the holes, say 5" away
from where they are now on the table base that may be enough to work. By doing it this way you have a standard positioning
that can easily be repeated. Not sure though, if the rotary will work with the extreme angle of the glasses, if it does you may have to
distort thr file to get an engraving that looks right.

Show us what you come up with!

Marty

great idea!