PDA

View Full Version : Quick Thin Bowl

Lee Koepke
11-13-2011, 7:44 PM
This is about the thinnest turning I have done yet ... its just a hair over 1/8" along the sides, a bit thicker on the bottom .... I 'think' the wood is spalted Pecan, its some leftover from a blank I got this summer at my local turning club raffle. Its a different shape for me, I kinda like it ... but I'd welcome criticisms (helps me get better!!!)

Its right at 5" diameter and about 2.5" tall.

Thanks!!!!

Baxter Smith
11-13-2011, 7:57 PM
Pretty wood and I like the shape Lee. Dealing with tearout on spalted wood can be tough! I have used both diluted white glue, oil, and shellac with some of the spalted birch and maple I have turned recently. Did you try any of the above on this one?

David E Keller
11-13-2011, 8:00 PM
Nice looking little bowl, Lee! If this was leftover, what did you do with the rest of the piece?

Lee Koepke
11-13-2011, 8:02 PM
Pretty wood and I like the shape Lee. Dealing with tearout on spalted wood can be tough! I have used both diluted white glue, oil, and shellac with some of the spalted birch and maple I have turned recently. Did you try any of the above on this one?

No, I just struggled through!! The only two problems I had was two pretty big cracks that developed ... and the bottom. I used CA to hold the cracks together ... then continued on and used CA to finish the rest of the bowl too .... I wish I would have tried to stabilize the inside of the bowl, its a little pitted, but the crack was worrying me.

Lee Koepke
11-13-2011, 8:03 PM
Nice looking little bowl, Lee! If this was leftover, what did you do with the rest of the piece? I sold the first bowl to one of my friends. It was 6-7". I dont recall if I kept a picture or not, it was a "wow, I like that" moment.

John Keeton
11-13-2011, 8:04 PM
Lee, looks like an end grain turning, and that probably accounts for some of the bottom tearout. Also, whenever I see the light colored spots, it goes in the firewood pile - I can rarely get a finish cut on wood that far gone.

On the form, everyone will have a different idea, and if you like it - then it is right!! There are things I might do differently, but then it wouldn't be your work, and you might not be pleased with it. Overall, I think you did very well with it and the form is pleasing.

Dan Hintz
11-14-2011, 6:59 AM
I like the colors and the form on this one... I might have tried for a slightly thinner foot (maybe 25% less), but it still looks quite nice. I'd be very happy with it, 'twere it mine.

Michelle Rich
11-14-2011, 7:34 AM
I think you fought that spalt & soft punky wood & won!

Terry Beadle
11-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Pour some M & M's in that thing and use it !

I like it. Good shape and the wood is so fine.