PDA

View Full Version : Considering purchasing a Bedan, which one

patrick ramsey
11-13-2011, 4:24 PM
Anyone have any advise about which brand for a Bedan?

Richard Allen
11-13-2011, 5:15 PM
Craft supplies used to sell a series of 3 different sized bedans recommended by Esculon. These were Henery Taylor Damic brand tools. I have had one of the "House of Tools" bedans which has a trapezoid bar shape for ten years. That is the bedan which comes with the sizing gauge. I have found both tools to work great. I have heard that Thompson tools is making a bedan, I have also heard that there is now a Glaser bedan.

I have found this tool to be a good substitute for a beading/parting tool. I prefer the clearance of the bedan.

Ron Bontz
11-13-2011, 5:48 PM
Interesting timing. I have been practicing with my Sorby bedan lately. The hardwoods of course dull the tool pretty quick it seems. So I decided I wanted something I would not have to sharpen as often. The search began. Doug doesn't make one out of 10V to my knowledge, yet. Crown does not make a Pro PM version yet either. Glaser does make two different sizes. 1/2" AND 3/8". They come with an aluminum handle so they are a bit pricey. At some point perhaps someone that uses the Glaser will speak up on this subject. Based on The 10V tools I have from Doug, a 10V bedan would be very nice. Best of luck.

Harry Robinette
11-13-2011, 6:13 PM
Patrick
Check the Escolon(spelling) web site he said that a French bedan is easyer to us then an English bedan. I have the Sorby and I really don't like it much, I can't get it to plane the wood like it should. I have used a French bedan at a Demo by Escolon at Cincinnati a couple years ago. And no I can't remember what the differences is I believe it something to do with the shape and how it's sharpened.

John Keeton
11-13-2011, 6:16 PM
I have the Benjamin Best bedan, and find that it works fine for me - and, the price is right! The bedan doesn't get used enough to justify a high grade steel IMO. I have sharpened mine once, and that was just a touch on the CBN wheel.

Edit - it is the French style with tapered sides. At $22, it is hard to beat!

Roland Martin
11-13-2011, 6:40 PM
Ditto what John said. It's the only one I've had and used and like it fine, great price at that. That being said, I don't use it real often, so it'll probably last forever.

patrick ramsey
11-13-2011, 11:48 PM
thx everyone.Has anyone use the Ashley Iles Bedan.

Michelle Rich
11-14-2011, 7:43 AM
I have a couple..they all work well...don't need a super one to use for making tenons, etc

John Keeton
11-14-2011, 8:41 AM
thx everyone.Has anyone use the Ashley Iles Bedan.Patrick, while I have not used Ashley Iles turning tools, I have used some of their other tools. They are good quality. However, again, in this instance the bedan is a seldom used tool (in terms of miles of surface contact on the wood). At more than twice the cost of the Benjamin Best bedan, for my money, I would prefer to spend the extra on gouges, etc., that see a lot of surface contact. That is where you will see more bang for your buck.

That said, I am sure you would be pleased with the Ashley Isles bedan.

Edit - Patrick, let me add - both the Ashley Iles tool and the BB tool (and many others) are M2 HSS. I am a big fan of CPM tools, particularly the V10 tools, as well as the M42 Cobalt. But, it seems that most of the M2 HSS, the most commonly used steel, is much the same. I just don't see the gain for the money. But, I leave that to you.

patrick ramsey
11-14-2011, 4:51 PM
Again, thx to everyone