PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Experts--Levers or Handwheels??

joseph j shields
03-04-2005, 6:45 PM
I'm looking at getting a jointer and would like to know the pros & cons of levers vs handwheels.... :confused::confused::confused:

I'm considering the Grizzly 8" jointer & they offer both flavors here (http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/main/030.cfm?&gid=F609A584-74E3-452E-B008-9B1D200B9E2D&site=grizzly)

Also, does anyone have either of these???? Any comments????

Thanks

-jj

Jim Becker
03-04-2005, 6:48 PM
Yes, your jointer should have levers or handwheels...or both! :D

Seriously, I've had both; my original Jet 6" jointer had the wheels and my Mini Max J/P combo has levers. Guess what?? No biggie, especially since most folks usually set the infeed at a particular setting...say, 1/32"...and leave it there. As to adjusting accurately, I haven't found a difference, either.

James Boster
03-04-2005, 6:55 PM
I too have owned both, first a jet and now a delta DJ-15 6". The jet had wheels and the delta has levers. I prefer the levers, but it's really just a matter of opinion.

Steve Cox
03-04-2005, 7:29 PM
I generally prefer wheels but my new Powermatic has levers with a fine adjustment knob on the end of the lever. Best of both worlds! Truthfully, it really doesn't make much difference.

Russ Massery
03-04-2005, 7:37 PM
I"m with Jim on this one, I've owned both really found no difference.

joseph j shields
03-04-2005, 8:02 PM
Well.... it sounds like its 6 of one... 1/2 dozen of the other:):):)

Any comments on Grizzly jointers????

How about the Oasis joiners????

-jj

Jim Becker
03-04-2005, 8:10 PM
JJ, I have a review on my site of the G0500 8" long bed written by Terry Nielson on the left-coast. It's a nice machine from what I can see.

Jim Stastny
03-04-2005, 9:53 PM
I've got a wheel on the outfeed and lever on the infeed. The lever is perfect for the infeed, quick, easy adjustments.

Steve Roxberg
03-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Both, I prefer a wheel on the outfeed side and a lever on the infeed side like my Delta Professional, but also the Powermatic six inch as well.

I want the wheel on the outfeed side for really fine adjustments when leveling the table to the blades.

I'm only doing one of two things with the infeed side. A very light 1/32 that is controled by a preset stop, or a more aggresive cut that the amount is less important, only that I'm trying to flatten a board, or get a edge down quickly.

So I repeat, both.

JayStPeter
03-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Agree with Jim. I've had both. I have a slight preference for handwheels, but it really doesn't matter much.
Jay

Alan Turner
03-05-2005, 3:26 AM
I have a large handwheel on the infeed side of my old 12" from 1925. It is great. The threads on that boy are 8 tpi, and the wheel has 4 spokes. So, I zeroed the infeed table, and with a Sharpie marked this on the wheel. Every spoke thereafter is 1/32" of adjustment, which I also marked with a sharpie. I adjust my infeed table with great frequency. Why take 5 passes when 2-3 will do. My 2c.

Ray Turney
03-05-2005, 7:55 AM
Joe, check out the Yorkcraft. Got mine last week and it is a dream compared to the craftsman I had. I also checked out Grizzly and a few more and from comments from this forum and others decided to go with the Yorky. Grizzly was $485.00 with shipping and Yorky was $424.00 with shipping to central Kentucky, received it in 5 days, and really nice people to talk to ( didn't have to wait all day for the the computer to go thru all it's gyrations, a real person answered the phone) The stand is already put together, easy assembly. I am well pleased. BTW I got the 6in as they were backordered on the 8in

Mark Singer
03-05-2005, 8:54 AM
I have had both...I have levers on the DJ20 and really like them!

George Summers
03-05-2005, 9:41 AM
I'm with Steve Roxberg. Handwheels on the outfeed table. Just this past week, I sharpened my knives and reinstalled them. All I seemed to be able to do with the outfeed table was overshoot. First too high, then too low, then too high again. It took about 12 attempts to zero in on the knives. This goes on everytime I sharpen the knives. I've not used one with handwheels but I sure wish I had some to try.

George