PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for width of saw table using a Excalibur SLT-60P

Bruce Seidner
11-13-2011, 1:21 PM
If one is designing a non mobile saw table that will have the Excalibur SLT-60P beast hanging off the side, how wide would you want it given the the conflicting desire to maximize its usefulness for plywood sheet goods and the limitations of a garage workshop.

http://www.general.ca/site_excalibur/e_produits/50-SLT60e.html

The working width of the slider is listed as 40" but it has a 60" fence that can extend to 101" and to my cave man mentality the difference between ripping and crosscutting is moot on plywood where a cut is a cut is a cut regardless of orientation.

The minimum width of the main table saw is 20" and it can extend right from there. I was originally planning on a 60" top because the guide for my Vega Pro 50 fence is a a 60" long crazy thick tube. This made sense before I was essentially given the Excalibur by a kindly fellow on Craig's list. So it is back to the drawing board. Ignore my previous inane ramblings about the mobile cabinets because that is not going to work with this Excalibur unit. It removes quickly but takes quite a bit of tweaking to get level and true. Once set it is not a trivial matter to reset it.

So given the capacity of the Excalibur it essentially becomes the new table. My newbie question is what size should the saw table be for general use. Will there be situations where the limit of a rip fence so close to the blade off to the right will be a serious limitation if most of the working action is on the sliding table? In this case I am looking to stay at 20" or go wider to be still practical in the typical work of making a kitchen cabinet out of plywood, book shelves and the stuff one usually cuts sheet goods to make for around the house projects. I have never had need to rip anything wider than a 12" piece of real tree wood. I don't have the experience to anticipate the consequences of table width in this fact pattern. I don't expect a consensus so much as what has worked for people.

Rod Sheridan
11-13-2011, 7:08 PM
Bruce, it all depends what you plan on doing.

I've always owned saws with aproximately 32" of rip capacity, which is fine for me as I don't normally make cabinets wider than that.

My present saw is a slider, with about a 12" wide sliding table to the left of the saw blade. I also have a detachable outrigger to handle long cross cuts or rips.

On a slider, the good part of the crosscut will be to the left of the blade, so only the waste will be on the right side. You don't need much space on the right side of the blade.

Hope this makes sense, and that I've answered your questions.....Rod.

Bruce Seidner
11-13-2011, 9:37 PM
Because Hebrew is read right to left, a standing joke that provokes groans is that a reporter rushes into the the Tel Aviv press with breaking news, shouting, "Hold the back page!"

I get it, and I will see how it works out with the native 20" table. It is a cinch to widen the table if need be. Now I have to importune the kind people at Vega for a 20" guide tube. I just don't have the heart to take a hack saw to this beautiful 50" chrome guide tube. This will be the world's stoutest fence at 20" rip capacity down from 50" or so.

John Aperahama
11-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I find my self working exclusively to the left of blade I cut down my rails to about 30 inches

Bruce Seidner
11-14-2011, 12:14 PM
I find my self working exclusively to the left of blade I cut down my rails to about 30 inches

That is a pretty liberal position for a Texan to take.

What is the widest cut you can make left of center?

What is the width of your table and do your rails overhang the left side of your table?