PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer or Varnish Sanding Sealer Combo?

Joe Vincent 63
11-12-2011, 6:03 PM
A number of turners use a spray sanding sealer combo when they initially complete portions of their turnings. I have seen Lacquer / sanding sealer, as well as varnish / sealer sanding combination sprays.

Which do you recommend? I am looking to still be able to utilize the majority of finishes after using the sealer.

Thanks!

Joe

John Keeton
11-12-2011, 6:30 PM
Joe, IMO the safest sealer to use is dewaxed shellac - it has the greatest compatibility "index" of any sealer or finish of which I am aware. Most "sealers" are simply diluted versions of whatever finish they are. Lacquer sealer is often lacquer cut with either lacquer thinner or acetone, or varnish sealer being varnish cut with mineral spirits. There is a vinyl based lacquer sealer sold by Behlen's that is a different creature altogether. It does a good job, but again, I am not sure of its compatibility with anything but lacquer.

Dennis Ford
11-12-2011, 7:04 PM
I am a fan of lacquer based sanding sealer but do not spray it. I wipe it on with a paper towel, this allows me to get quite a bit in the pores in a single coat without having a lot to sand off. It is basically lacquer with something added (some type of sterate I think) that makes it easy to sand without gumming up. I have top coated it with lacquer or wipe on poly. The two brands that I have tried are Deft and Behlens, both work well.

robert baccus
11-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Ford knows this but some of you may not. i used behlens for decades and suddenly it was "beligerent". talked to the factory and learned they had changed many of their products due to california's new AP laws. it was 40% of their market. i was advised that MOHAWK brand comes out of the same factory with products identical to the old with some improvements. as dennis mentioned they still make a heavybodied sanding sealer (very heavy-great for initial rub on or spray coats) that must be thinned to spray. 2 coats rubbed on will fill most open pored woods and sands like chalk--really as good as sanding sealer gets. i recently switched fron their standard cellulose laquer to a recommended precat laquer and have been very satisfied. i was unable to find a mailorder source but the co. advised me of a dealer just 20 miles away------saves postage!-------------old forester

Chris Colman
11-14-2011, 7:17 AM
I second the vote for Shellac.

I had been using a packaged "sanding sealer", but had mixed results with hard to seal woods like cedar and sycamore.

Shellac seals quick, builds up quick, dries quick. I wipe it on, really mopping it into those areas that want to soak it up. After it dries I even it out with some fine steel wool.

Just a couple of coats of WOP on top, and you are done.

robert baccus
11-15-2011, 1:34 AM
I agree with your comments about shellac being a good sealer and very tolerant of finish coats. a good sanding sealer however is in a different class in that it is a sealer but also a filler. a good thick chalky SS such as dennis describes can fill the pores in oak with just 2 coats wiped on. there are few good SS on the market and most are just thinned laq. as john posted. the good ones sand down like chalk and dry in a fraction of the time shellac does. a glass like finish on ring porous woods are quick and easy using this stuff. try it --------------old forester