PDA

View Full Version : Windows (shop made)

Jim Fuller
04-22-2003, 11:01 AM
I want to make some windows for a rental house I have. These windows are odd sized and are in a house with asbestos siding. Has anyone had experience building windows, and if I make them double paned, where can I buy the dissecant tape that goes inside?
Thanks
Jim

Dennis McDonaugh
04-22-2003, 7:31 PM
Jim, I'm pretty sure double pane windows are filled with inert gases which would be impossible to do without specialized hardware. Be careful about that asbestos too. It can be a nightmare to remove.

Jim Fuller
04-23-2003, 8:37 AM
Is because I don't want to remove any asbestos. We have a window manufacturing company here in Oxford and I have toured it. They only put desicant tape in the standard windows, but can fill the doors or high end windows with argon. Obviously I am not interested in going there. I will let you know what I do.

Jim

Dr. Zack Jennings
04-23-2003, 5:32 PM
I have 20 pane Windows across the back of my Office : 4' (H) X 5' (W). They are true divided lights, single paned. I had plate glass installed outside with stops that aren't sealed. They have been removed and cleaned once in 27 years, look good and aren't noticably cold. My utilitiy bills seem normal. There a 6 of these big windows on the West elevation of a 50' building. That's lots of glass.

My house has 4 panes 2X4' in each of 3 large windows on the South. All are special ordered sealed double pane glass with a 3/4" dead air space. All 12 of these panes have failed, they are foggy, yukky and need replacement.

I can buy 8 single panes for $96 or 4 double panes for $96 each. That's $1200 versus $400(For all 3 Windows). I feel I can put stops between the panes and outside that can be removed to clean the glass. What is wrong with my thinking here? I would not seal the outside panes and would look to create a weep hole or 2 at the bottom.

<center>Isn't this the same as storm windows??
Do you really need the argon gas??