PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Quick Release Vises & Workbench?

adam breuer
11-12-2011, 1:58 PM
Hi all,

I am designing a new workbench. It will be part-roubo and part everything else, and this bench will be devoted to odd projects (large boat parts, longbows, oars -- basically, odd parts of various sizes).

Is there any reason to put two matching quick-release vises (10" wide Jorgensens) side-by-side as end vises rather than just one (I seem to be accumulating these vises...)?

If you think this is a good idea, would you arrange them so that the vices are as far apart as possible, or would you put the rightmost one closer to the center of the bench end?

Also, I see some benches with a large quick release vise on the face as well as on the end, and I don't understand why this is advantageous compared to this type of vise in just one of the two locations. What do you guys think?

adam

Jim Matthews
11-12-2011, 8:13 PM
It should work, if you take care to align the fixed jaws, on installation.

Any deviation will make clamping difficult. Were I to do this, I would set them just "inboard" of the edges and far enough apart to get a wide board between the rails.
Set up this way, you could cut the end of boards at various heights.

Terry Beadle
11-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Are you left or right handed?
What is the biggest boat part you would need to put on the bench?
Could a shaving horse be used for really strange boat shapes versus a bench?
What do I need to mount a sub-bench for dovetails or other specialty work at a higher level?
These are some of the questions that will bear fruit in your decision.

Having multiple quick release vices is more of a blessing than a curse.
An end vice is really useful for boat part projects IMO.
Yes you can mount them where you can clamp from either end or side by side on one end with dogs to match or opposite corners etc.
The oars will benefit most from an end vice and dogs.
Boat parts have lots of curved edges and surfaces. I would think that you should arrange the quick release vices so that you could use them flexibly for odd shaped boat components. Maybe one on the left front edge in a conventional mount with roubo side surfaces. Then maybe put one in the middle of the bench centered on the opposite side and an end vice on the same side as the first vice. Then I would get some hold fasts and put some holes in the bench top only as you worked the boat components as needed. Between the dogs, two vices, an end vice and maybe a middle slot to allow clamps from the center area of the bench, most boat parts could be mounted easily.

I would think two wagon style end vices are relatively cheap and would greatly improve your options. Certainly one would be good.

Take a piece of paper and rough sketch several vice layouts and then decide. If you are into boat building, there's got to be some friends around that you can visit to look at their setups for ideas.

What ever you do, enjoy the process !