PDA

View Full Version : Health and Safety in Woodworking -- Share your Story on How it's Changed for You

Andrew Joiner
11-12-2011, 12:51 PM
I worked in 2 shops before I went on my own in 1971.

The first was a 30 man millwork shop in 1969 . We had chip collection on the planers,but none on table or radial arm saws. Lots of portable sanders and routers with no collection at all. We swept with a broom each day. Never wore dust masks.

In 1970 I was in a 6 man shop. We made solid wood furniture and store fixtures. ALL ripping was done on a radial arm saw! Even 12/4 maple. We finished everything with Watco Oil. No one ever opened a window or wore any respirators or dust masks. There was a vat of Watco left uncovered at all times. I'm sure we were all a little high from fumes all day long. Rags were thrown in a bucket of water after we discovered one smoldering and about to burst into flames.

No dust collection,we swept once a week. We would sand for hours at a time with Rockwell 505 orbital sanders. They weren't even available with dust bags. They were the cabinet shop standard sander at the time.
One guy left after a week of work. He said his doctor told him he was allergic to saw dust. We all thought, what a whimp. It was in the old hippie days and the boss was "cool". He let us drink beer in the shop! It was common to see a can of beer on each workbench. We were busy and had tons of work. One day the boss came thru with a suit on and announced " No more beer in the shop. We're getting insurance and the inspectors are coming today" Amazing, but I saw no injuries in that shop.

I had my own wood business from 1971 to 1991. I got a little safer. I ripped on a table saw and the beer for me was eliminated in 1975. Still no real dust collection. Amazing, but I was fully insured for fire and liability and it was cheap.

Now, as a hobbyist I wear a mask for dust and a respirator for fumes.
Man, how times have changed.