PDA

View Full Version : "The Widow Maker"

John Keeton
11-12-2011, 12:37 PM
As some of you may recall, I had a turning in process when I had the heart attack. Since my attack was "the widow maker" (LAD artery), I thought the appropriate title for this turning should correspond to my experience.

This is actually a commissioned piece. Big Leaf Maple Burl, with Claro walnut, it is 8.75" tall x 5" wide. The form is hollowed to 1/8". Finish is BLO, shellac, and satin WOP. The finish was wet sanded at 1200, buffed with 0000, and triple buffed with Ren wax.

Since the potential purchaser had specific requests, this is somewhat similar to other turnings I have done, so originality is limited. But, I felt the wood combination was good (actually one of my favorites!) and the "flow" of the piece seems to work.

I welcome your thoughts!

Ron Bontz
11-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Well John, you not only kicked that clots butt, but you turned another winner to boot. If you don't mind I would like to copy this somewhat to make for my spouse for xmas. As long as that Left anterior doesn't sneak up on me.:eek: I'll pass on that part.;)
What kind of dimensions are on the burl section?

Dennis Ford
11-12-2011, 12:50 PM
It is a beautiful piece, the "flow" does more than just "work". Great design!!
Clearly, you did not let a little thing like a heart attack slow you down much.

David Reed
11-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Nice recovery John. The flow in this piece is indeed much superior to that in your LAD artery during it's inception. The finish is spectacular. I have wondered in the past what the reason is for the shellac in the finish? Do you mix your own and dewax or purchase it dewaxed? I think I also read that you will mix the shellac with the BLO?

Roger Chandler
11-12-2011, 1:01 PM
Absolutely stunning! Beautiful work........I am so glad you are still around to be able to finish it! Okay.........great form........really flows nicely. I think your pedestal on this is superb! Love the contrasting collar, and of course the replication in the finial set the finial off and connects it well with the form.........

Gorgeous wood! Love the eyes in that BLM burl..........I'm gonna have to get me some of that! That keen eye of yours is honed well as to the lines...........maybe I should call it the "Keeton eye" :D ............it has served you well!

You should be proud of this one John.........first class all the way!

David DeCristoforo
11-12-2011, 1:06 PM
The only thing I do not like about this is the title. It's much too grim a name for a piece that is as full of life and exuberance as this one. You have done some extraordinary work but this is one of your best.

Jim Slovik
11-12-2011, 1:07 PM
Excellent wood combination. The form and finish is outstanding. I sure am glad that you're still with us. I'll appreciate each of your postings even more now. Great job!!

Curt Fuller
11-12-2011, 1:13 PM
WOW, what else can be said! This is just spectacular. Probably your finest, in my opinion.

I agree with DoubleD about the name. I think I would find something more along the theme of your recovery and opportunity to have another go at life.

Bill Davis
11-12-2011, 1:27 PM
Glad you survived one widow maker and completed another. Don't let them keep you down - keep on turning. Well worth surviving for!

Scott Hackler
11-12-2011, 1:37 PM
Another beautiful piece John. The color contrast and finish is fantastic and the piece has a very nice flow to it. I am sure your customer is going to flip over this!

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2011, 2:02 PM
Excellent work John! Your customer is going to be thrilled with this!

Beautiful wood combination, great looking burl and the form is spot on! I too find the piece deserves a different name - something commensurate with overcoming the 'widow maker'.... something uplifting. While it is not my turning to name, I like the simple theme of 'I am Spartacus'.

Paul Williams
11-12-2011, 2:04 PM
Great piece! I really like the combination of wood. I agree with DD about the title. In addition I would think you would use that title for a gnarly piece that you were going to keep. Glad to have you back on the forum.

Jim Burr
11-12-2011, 2:06 PM
I'd have to say this is my favorite of your stuff in the last several months. Nothing but cool!!

Russell Eaton
11-12-2011, 2:06 PM
John that is a stunning piece of art. I too am glad you are still around to finish this piece, and do a lot more. The contrast in color is superb. Thanks for showing.

Robert Henrickson
11-12-2011, 2:13 PM
Beautiful! Wonderful grain, and a nice shape as well.

Hayes Rutherford
11-12-2011, 2:25 PM
I guess one could say it is "drop dead gorgeous" !!

Baxter Smith
11-12-2011, 2:30 PM
John, congrats on surviving it, and thanks for being around to finish it! That is a great piece of burl in a show me off form! I am sure your customer will be thrilled with such a great and one of a kind piece of art!

Dick Mahany
11-12-2011, 2:36 PM
John,

The piece is spectacular and the form compliments the beautiful burl perfectly. That finial is way out of my league and gives me something to aspire to. I'd have a hard time parting with that piece !!

David E Keller
11-12-2011, 2:46 PM
I like this piece, John! The wood combo certainly works, and I really like the contrast between soft curves and crisp details... Another lovely work of art!

charlie knighton
11-12-2011, 3:02 PM
very nice, good to see you finish it

Doug W Swanson
11-12-2011, 3:04 PM
Excellent work once again, John! I'm sure the buyer will be pleased!

Roger Chandler
11-12-2011, 4:19 PM
A second thought on this form...............this is the form that almost wasn't ............thankfully, it is,:) but the significance of this piece in conjunction with the events surrounding it in the artist's life make it all the more valuable in my opinion, although that fact may not bring a greater price, as there could have been a price agreement prior to the events and the finish of this one........

Just in case that person who commissioned this one for some reason decides not to take it..............I think it should be well received in a gallery along with the story of the events in JK's life........

......that title is an attention getter for sure, and that may make it all the more celebrated and valuable now that John has overcome..............keep the name John.........you likely will never have another opportunity like this one...............special indeed! ;)

thomas prusak
11-12-2011, 4:24 PM
Awesome ! Amazing work John!

Ed Morgano
11-12-2011, 4:24 PM
John,
I've been staring at this piece for about 15 minutes trying to figure out what to say. It's already been said here ..... Simply stunning.

Bill Bolen
11-12-2011, 4:41 PM
Gorgeous piece John. I'm delighted the powers that be allowed you to finish it!

John Keeton
11-12-2011, 5:59 PM
Thanks, guys, for all the comments and kind words. On the title, there is just something about me that needed to title this one as I did. I have informed the buyer that I am fine with her not choosing to buy the piece, with a brief history of the event. I actually would like to keep this one - just for the memory.
Nice recovery John. The flow in this piece is indeed much superior to that in your LAD artery during it's inception. The finish is spectacular. I have wondered in the past what the reason is for the shellac in the finish? Do you mix your own and dewax or purchase it dewaxed? I think I also read that you will mix the shellac with the BLO?Thanks, David, and it would not have taken much "flow" to beat the total blockage! I nearly always sand BLM and Claro to 320 dry (sometimes with BLO at 320) and then at 400 with BLO. It brings out the figure and provides a wonderful warmth to both woods IMO. I will wipe the turning off while turning slowly and using a rag, apply the shellac immediately with the lathe stopped. Once I get a good soaking coat, I will crank up the speed and "burn" in the shellac and BLO. After 2-3 coats applied similarly, I will spin it with 0000 to buff it back. This seems to fill the grain, and provide an excellent base for whatever finish one might wish to apply. As far as shellac, I use regular dewaxed from the can. I also like the extra warmth the shellac provides.

Well John, you not only kicked that clots butt, but you turned another winner to boot. If you don't mind I would like to copy this somewhat to make for my spouse for xmas. As long as that Left anterior doesn't sneak up on me.:eek: I'll pass on that part.;)
What kind of dimensions are on the burl section?Ron, the burl is 2.5" from the bottom to the beginning of the walnut collar. I sent you a PM, too.

David DeCristoforo
11-12-2011, 6:04 PM
This finish comes up from time to time. This from a post in '10

"Tage Frid loved this finish. He called it "Frid's fast fine finish" AKA "The 4F". He would rag on the oil then brush on shellac while the oil was still wet and then burnish it out with fine steel wool. I used it a few times and I was amazed at how nice a finish it produced. Not a "real" french polish but "similar" in appearance with about a tenth of the work. I can see how this would be spectacular applied on a lathe where you can really burn in the shellac."

But whatever you want to call it, you are getting spectacular results!

Lee Koepke
11-12-2011, 9:15 PM
I really like this one. The BLM is close to a 'perfect' wood! And I think you earned the right to name this whatever you feel like!!!

Very nice indeed.

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2011, 10:03 PM
John that is beautiful. The wood combo and form are just beautiful. Probably my favorite of all you have did.

Alan Trout
11-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Wonderful piece John, I understand why you call it what you do, but it is far from a widow maker. Well done and I am sure the owner will love it.

Alan

Mike Cruz
11-12-2011, 11:20 PM
I don't know, John. I think you're losing your touch. I see gouge marks, sanding marks, the lines are all wrong, the proprotion leave a lot to be desired, and the wood is so...blah. You might want to rethink things good and hard...:rolleyes:

Kathy Marshall
11-13-2011, 12:33 AM
John this is absolutely stunning! There's not a single nit I could pick if my life depended on it! I'm with DD on the name, how about "John 1, Widowmaker 0" :D

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
11-13-2011, 1:00 AM
It's all been said, but wow John. That is really, really something . . . I'll agree with a previous poster, I think your best yet!

Michelle Rich
11-13-2011, 6:04 AM
DIVINE, beyond DIVINE

Rob Cunningham
11-14-2011, 12:59 PM
A very beautiful piece John. I'm glad you're still here to share it with us.

steven carter
11-14-2011, 1:06 PM
Very nice piece John. I may be well that you are keeping this one, not only to remember your experience, but the upward lift seems to be pointing to many more years of turning and achievement.

Steve

Dick Strauss
11-14-2011, 1:16 PM
You almost convinced me I'd died and gone to heaven with this one...

Tim Rinehart
11-14-2011, 1:20 PM
Beautiful piece John, and fine comeback as well. Thanks for the explanation on the finish...I will have to try that. I'm all for 'easy' finishes. I've been using AO recently, and like it alot, but when more warmth is needed, hard to beat BLO and shellac.
Thanks for again, not disappointing.

cal thelen
11-14-2011, 1:22 PM
WOW! I dont have any other way to describe it. Glad everything turned out so well.

John Keeton
11-14-2011, 2:12 PM
Thanks, again, for all the follow up comments!! I thought this one had run its course.

As an update, I informed the buyer that the piece was done for her, and I would stand by that agreement. However, it now meant a lot to me, and I would prefer to keep it should she be so inclined. She graciously agreed, and it will remain in my home as a reminder of the fortunate blessing of my heart attack - I truly do view it as a blessing! It has changed my life like nothing else I have experienced. What more could one ask!

Thanks, again.

Prashun Patel
11-14-2011, 2:39 PM
Another beauty. You have such an amazing eye. That burl is just perfect.

Jerry Rhoads
11-16-2011, 6:36 AM
That is a very nice piece John
Glad to see you recovering so quickly.

Jerry

Bill White
11-16-2011, 3:25 PM
Dang! I almost wish I were a widow so I could have that WONDERFUL piece.
Beautiful work as always.
Bill