PDA

View Full Version : New biesemeyer fences have aluminum front rail?

Damion Bevacqua
11-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Hi everyone, I currently have a 52" Biesemeyer fence on my table saw. I've been using it for over a year now, and although I love the biesemeyer fence, I've found that I really rarely use the extra capacity of the long rails. I've been looking into getting a set of short rails, as I'd rather not cut the long rails in case I end up with a bigger shop someday.

Anyway, I found the set of new (black) rails from an online retailer for $165 plus shipping. Seems ok, but the description says that the new front rail is "extruded, not steel." I'm guessing they are saying it is extruded aluminum?I hadn't heard that the new rail was aluminum... Anyone have any info on this change? Anyone with a new unisaw have any feedback on the new rail?This seems like an odd change to me. I wouldn't have guessed that this part would be cheaper as an aluminum extrusion than as an ordinary steel tube...

David Kumm
11-12-2011, 10:41 AM
I put the new version on my Rockwell 12-14. The tube is aluminum. The fence seems the same as the old with an improvement to the glide mechanism.. I would not consider it better or worse. The tube doesn't take that much stress and the improvement is the new tube fits in a channel so it can be moved right or left which is the reason i used it. Allows me to rip on the left for bevel cuts in an unlimited width. The fence does move easily and stays parallel unlike the old. Delta says it is an improvement but at least it is equal. You will need to find out if the old angle iron base will work with the new tube as the bolt heads are what capture the tube in a t channel. I'm operating off memory here and that is always problematic so check with the seller. Dave

johnny means
11-12-2011, 4:17 PM
You could get the material for those rails for a fraction of that price at your local steel yard. That's what I've done in the past. Plus you get exactly the length that you want.

Bruce Wrenn
11-12-2011, 8:38 PM
You could get the material for those rails for a fraction of that price at your local steel yard. That's what I've done in the past. Plus you get exactly the length that you want. 1/4 X 2 X 3 angle and 2 X 3 14ga, or 12ga rectangular tubing. Personally, I would just cut down existing rails. Remember, it's YOUR SAW! Do what you want with it.

Dave Lehnert
11-12-2011, 10:06 PM
You could get the material for those rails for a fraction of that price at your local steel yard. That's what I've done in the past. Plus you get exactly the length that you want.

I agree. Nothing special, Standard size stuff.

Would be like buying a 52in long 2x4 for $100 when you could buy an 96" 2x4 at Lowe's and cut it yourself.

Bruce Wrenn
11-13-2011, 9:42 PM
I agree. Nothing special, Standard size stuff.

Would be like buying a 52in long 2x4 for $100 when you could buy an 96" 2x4 at Lowe's and cut it yourself.Tubing is going to come in either 20', or 21' length. Angle will come in a 20' length.