PDA

View Full Version : Circassian Walnut

Chris Knoth
11-12-2011, 10:32 AM
All,
Just had a question. I have a friend who asked me to make him a few pens. He is a gun enthusiast and is really interested in Circassian and/or Turkish Walnut for the pens but the only place I can find these types of wood is for gun stock blanks which are way too big and way, way, too expensive. This is beautiful old wood so I'm not sure how practical this is but I have to check it out before going back and telling him it can or can't happen at a reasonable price. So, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a place that may sell smaller blanks? Thanks.

Cecil Walborn
11-12-2011, 11:49 AM
I have turned Circassian walnut. I do not know where you can buy smaller pieces thou. I got mine from a gun stock maker. They were scrapes that he usually burn in the fire place. I is a very beautiful wood with all the varied grain patterns in it. Check for a gun stock maker maybe they would have some small pieces you could get.

David E Keller
11-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Check out the pentuners website... There was a vendor selling Turkish walnut pen blanks there.

Jim Burr
11-12-2011, 2:02 PM
Just found some on ebay...14 for $25

Robert Henrickson
11-12-2011, 2:11 PM
The local Woodcraft Lexington KY) recently got a couple cartfuls of offcuts of Turkish walnut from a gun stock maker.

Marty Eargle
11-12-2011, 2:31 PM
http://www.turkishwalnut.net/walnut_lumbers.html seems to have lots of pen sized blanks.