PDA

View Full Version : Antique Oil

Steve R Baker
11-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Has any one ever put Antique Oil over Danish Oil. Would there be any thing wrong with doing this? How many coats of Antique Oil would you add? Trying to get a better shine. Thanks

John Keeton
11-12-2011, 10:28 AM
I think you will find that both are oil/varnish blends and very similar - though each has its own fan base. I wouldn't see any issues.

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Steve - I would think that as long as the Danish Oil was cured first - you wouldn't have any problems. If it wasn't cured - I would think you would end up with a gummy mess on your hands.

You said you wanted a better shine.... have you considered just buffing the Danish Oil?

Curt Fuller
11-12-2011, 10:43 AM
I think you can mix and match most any of the linseed oil based products without any problem. I've found that Watco Danish oil doesn't "dry" quite as fast as Minwax Antique Oil. In fact most of the Minwax oil finishes I've used seem to have something in there to harden the finish pretty quick, usually in a few hours. The only thing I might do if applying AO over DO would be to let the DO sit a day or so before doing it. Probably a better plan to use just one product unless you're using one of the Watco Danish Oils with stain for some color.

Also, to get a really nice and even gloss with any oil, I have to buff it using one of the the 3 step systems.

Jim Burr
11-12-2011, 11:28 AM
You can see where my mind was...thinking you'd get a really old pastry:eek::rolleyes:

Michelle Rich
11-13-2011, 6:33 AM
Buffing is the solution..put on 2 coats of danish..let dry & buff. If you have sanded to a high grit and it's smooth as silk the buffing will make it just shiny & silky.