PDA

View Full Version : My 6 electric saws

Frank Pellow
03-04-2005, 3:26 PM
I was cutting up one of the packing crates with my reciprocating saw when I realized that, were I to take a picture, 4 of my 6 powered saws would be in it. So, I retrieved my two Festool saws from their systainers and placed them on the table in order to complete the set.

Here is the photo:

Now back to work …

Michael Ballent
03-04-2005, 3:48 PM
Is that an Excaliber scroll saw in the background? My understanding is that they are coming out with a new one that will be reveiled soon.

Tim Morton
03-04-2005, 4:05 PM
I think frank is getting a kick out of this :D So we get one picture every few hours? Just thrown out randomly? Is that the plan?*LOL*

Darren Ford
03-04-2005, 4:32 PM
Goodness what a scroll saw. I thought it was a lathe. I kept looking for the 6th saw, thinking Frank was playing a trick on us.

Rob Russell
03-04-2005, 4:32 PM
Nice saws.

Something else I "saw" in the pic ( :D ) is stuff in the corner in front of your electrical panel. You want to get in the habit of leaving that space clear. In the US, it's code.

Frank Pellow
03-04-2005, 5:36 PM
Nice saws.

Something else I "saw" in the pic ( :D ) is stuff in the corner in front of your electrical panel. You want to get in the habit of leaving that space clear. In the US, it's code.
Weel spotted Rob. The stuff is only there temporarily (and I know that this is not a valid excuse :o ).

Frank Pellow
03-04-2005, 5:39 PM
Is that an Excaliber scroll saw in the background? My understanding is that they are coming out with a new one that will be reveiled soon.

Goodness what a scroll saw. I thought it was a lathe. I kept looking for the 6th saw, thinking Frank was playing a trick on us.

Yep, the purple machine is an Excalibur scroll saw. I don't own a lathe.

Jim Becker
03-04-2005, 6:46 PM
I don't own a lathe.
Yet........... ;) :p

Chris Padilla
03-04-2005, 6:55 PM
Nice saws.

True enough but it just made me think that having my electrical panel facing outside (as opposed to being accesible inside the garage) might not be such a bad thing.

I always worry that some bored kids might kill power to my whole house one of these days but I'm afraid to put a padlock on the panel!

Kent Parker
03-04-2005, 6:58 PM
Hi Frank,
Nice to see the General all dressed up. Have you checked the fence faces to see if they are square to the table yet? Just curious given my recent bout with un-squareness.

I was contacted by General today and was told they are in the process of sending me a new fence for my 50-260 :D

Regards,

Kent

Russ Massery
03-04-2005, 7:05 PM
Talk about having machine tool Envy!:eek: They look great and so does your shop!

Kent Parker
03-04-2005, 7:18 PM
Frank,

I almost forgot, how much cord did you get with your General saw? My General International had only 5' of 14 gauge so I had to rewire to reach my wall plug.

Is that a General mobile base under your saw?

Kent

Frank Pellow
03-04-2005, 7:19 PM
Yet........... ;) :p
I will not say NEVER, but I will say NOT LIKELY EVER. I have too many other skills to acquire.

Frank Pellow
03-04-2005, 7:23 PM
Frank,
I almost forgot, how much cord did you get with your General saw? My General International had only 5' of 14 gauge so I had to rewire to reach my wall plug.

The saw can with no wire. I had to wire it myself and I used 4 metres of 12/3 wire.

Is that a General mobile base under your saw?
Kent
No, its an HTC base made specifically for the General 350/650.

Frank Pellow
03-04-2005, 7:25 PM
Hi Frank,
Nice to see the General all dressed up. Have you checked the fence faces to see if they are square to the table yet? Just curious given my recent bout with un-squareness.

I was contacted by General today and was told they are in the process of sending me a new fence for my 50-260 :D

Regards,

Kent
Yes, I checked the saw extensively and everything is square and level. :)

John Scarpa
03-05-2005, 3:54 PM
Frank,

That shop is coming along nicely. It's great so see all of the progress you have made since those original drawings you posted. Looks Great!

John

Christian Aufreiter
03-06-2005, 6:00 PM
Very nice pic and some nice saws too :D Don't you want to get another saw? ;) Maybe an SCMS?

Regards,

Christian

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 6:24 PM
Very nice pic and some nice saws too :D Don't you want to get another saw? ;) Maybe an SCMS?

Regards,

Christian
Thanks Christian.

No, I certainly don't need a SCMS. My Festool MFT coupled with a circular saw does that job very well.

Jim Andrew
03-06-2005, 9:14 PM
Hi Frank, did you have to replace the cord on your MM16? Mine came with
just a short cord. Don't have it running yet, they said I needed a circuit
wired with #10. Jim

Frank Pellow
03-07-2005, 8:56 AM
Hi Frank, did you have to replace the cord on your MM16? Mine came with
just a short cord. Don't have it running yet, they said I needed a circuit
wired with #10. Jim
My bandsaw is not an MM1 -it's an ACM Star 4 (sort of halfway between an MM16 and a Laguna 16HD). The saw did not come with a cord at all but was quite easy to wire (I used 12/3). I wired all my 240 volt circuits using 10 gauge wire -but I could have gotten awy with 12 gauge.

David Fried
03-07-2005, 12:24 PM
My first thought was why would anybody need six saws? Having examined the picture I realize I own 5 out of 6! Guess I need to start thinking about a scroll saw too! Very nice Frank.

Just curious - I was reading a review of the Festool circular saw and the one problem the reviewer had was something marked in metric measurements. Being Canadian, when you plan a project is it all metric or are you bilingual in measuring?

I have some english woodworking books and have no problem with 25mm since it is close to an inch but when they start talking really big numbers, like 1250mm, I can't visualize it and have to convert.

Bill Lewis
03-07-2005, 3:06 PM
The stuff is only there temporarily (and I know that this is not a valid excuse :o ).
Yes, he'll move over to be next to the wood stove. ;)

Frank Pellow
03-08-2005, 6:56 AM
My first thought was why would anybody need six saws? Having examined the picture I realize I own 5 out of 6!

Actually, a little after I started this thread, I realized that I own a 7th power saw. It's my gasoline powered chain saw.

Guess I need to start thinking about a scroll saw too! Very nice Frank.

I have not used my scroll saw much yet but am really enjoiying learning. And, it's a good power tool to start children on. :)

Just curious - I was reading a review of the Festool circular saw and the one problem the reviewer had was something marked in metric measurements. Being Canadian, when you plan a project is it all metric or are you bilingual in measuring?

I have some english woodworking books and have no problem with 25mm since it is close to an inch but when they start talking really big numbers, like 1250mm, I can't visualize it and have to convert.
I am very bilingual in measuring. I much prefer metric and use it at every opportunity. One drawback to building my shop was that most of the material was geared to imperial measurments. :( Just last week, I started to build some cabinets that I designed myself and they, of course, are all metric. It is a relief to get back to metric again. :)

Kelly C. Hanna
03-08-2005, 8:48 AM
Lookin' good there Frank, but I see NO DUST!! :D:D:D

Frank Pellow
03-08-2005, 9:16 AM
Lookin' good there Frank, but I see NO DUST!! :D:D:D
Is this better Kelly?