PDA

View Full Version : Hinge For Salt Box

Bruce Lundgren
11-12-2011, 4:50 AM
I am making a salt box for a Xmas present and need to find a source for a post-type hinge (not sure what it's called) that pivots to open. The lid pivots on one side to slide open and will have a magnet on the other side to hold it closed. Anyone know where I might find such a thing?

Thanks,
Bruce

Steve Vaughan
11-12-2011, 6:29 AM
Take a look at Rockler.com. I'd bet they have exactly what you're looking for. Good luck with it!

Eric Holmquist
11-12-2011, 6:48 AM
I've generally used dowels for this type of project

In this case, I did not use a magnet.

I like the dowel because it won't rust, but some marine grade stainless (316) would do as well
3/16" is ~$0.90/foot
1/4" is ~$1.25/foot

I order metal from either
http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm
http://www.speedymetals.com/default.aspx?

Allan Ferguson
11-12-2011, 9:17 AM
1/8" brass welding rod works very well. Find at auto parts, welding supply, hardware store. Cut to length.

james bell
11-12-2011, 9:27 AM
I have made a few of these, using dowels and they work well. Have not tried brass rods as I have plenty of dowels on hand. The first one I made did not have magnets - mistake. I have started slicing thin pieces of the wod to cover the bottom magnet so it isn't seen.The hardest part for me is getting the magnets exactly right so the lid closes perfectly. I have tried bb's for indentation which gets it close. I haven't tried to insert a cutoff brad, maybe next time.

David E Keller
11-12-2011, 9:48 AM
I've used short segments of 3/16 cold rolled steel for the pivot points. I glue them in on one side and leave them to pivot on the other.

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2011, 9:51 AM
I get/use brass rod from the lumber yard.

Bruce Lundgren
11-12-2011, 1:03 PM
Steve: I'll check-out Rockler. Thanks for the suggestion.

Eric, Allan, David, and Bernie: Good suggestions for brass rod, stainless, cold rolled steel and dowels. All good ideas...and the price is right. Thanks guys for your input. Much appreciated.

Jim: I was thinking that lining-up the lid properly would be the tricky part. A cut off brad is a good idea as is covering the bottom magnet with a thin slice of wood. Thanks.

Bruce

Jim Burr
11-12-2011, 1:56 PM
C-clip, also called a torsion pin is the best...it expands and contracts with the wood. I've used it in 60 or so salt boxes and haven't had a complaint. I did a tutorial on a nother forum that addreses the alignment issue.

Ted Calver
11-12-2011, 9:28 PM
I did a tutorial on a nother forum that addreses the alignment issue.

Jim, Can you share your tutorial with us?

Jim Burr
11-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Jim, Can you share your tutorial with us?

I'll see if I still have it on a flash drive and will pass it on if cyberspace hasn't transported it to the starship Enterprise

Bruce Lundgren
11-14-2011, 3:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestion about the C-clip. Where did you get them? I too would be interested in seeing the alignment tutorial if you still have it. Thanks.

Greg Bolton22
11-14-2011, 8:52 AM
+1 on wanting to seeing the tutorial!

Thanks,

Greg

Nate Davey
11-14-2011, 9:29 AM
+2 on the tutorial.

Jim Burr
11-14-2011, 11:03 AM
PM'd link to all who asked...let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer as best I can!

Jim Howe
11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I hadn’t asked as I am more of a lurker ;-) I too am interested in your tutorial.

David Reed
11-14-2011, 1:16 PM
Re alignment of the magnetic 'latch', why not drill up from the bottom using a forstner bit and drilling through the wall of the box and into the lid. Perfect alignment then place magnets and cover as usual. If no room in the wall then drill a tiny pilot hole for alignment then finish as usual.

Josh Bowman
11-14-2011, 1:26 PM
At one of my wood turning meetings, a guy used two magnets as the hinge. No lock, since the two magnets put a good bit of pull on the box lid. The lid rotated like it had a pin, but you could pry them apart. The cool factor was high

Jim Burr
11-14-2011, 5:05 PM
At one of my wood turning meetings, a guy used two magnets as the hinge. No lock, since the two magnets put a good bit of pull on the box lid. The lid rotated like it had a pin, but you could pry them apart. The cool factor was high

That does work well Josh. I use that on small ones...1/4 cup size since the depth for a torsion pin may not exist and the RE mag's only need a depth of 3/32.
Remaining PM's sent.

james bell
11-16-2011, 10:31 AM
+2 on the tutorial

Russell Neyman
11-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Truth is, a pair of perfectly-placed rare earth magnets will serve the same purpose. You could pivot the lid on the magnets and it would hold extremely well, there would be nothing that could break, and it's a much simpler installation. You could also put a second set to hold it in the closed position. They are made in very small sizes, long and short, and designed to be concealed. I included a photo of a set I purchased from Edmund Scientific years ago, and also an eBay link to a typical set. Just a thought.

213029 http://compare.ebay.com/like/190592968563?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Jim Burr
11-16-2011, 12:03 PM
That's partly true Russell...alignment is always and issue and there are always, in a well made box, two alignments points. Gluing RE mag's is never easy!!! Those little guys like to stick to everything and if the alignment is off even a fraction...it shows. By drilling the pin holes first, attaching the lid and bottom magnet, you can easily mark the upper location for the top RE and be exact every time.

Peter Elliott
11-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Can I get the tutorial sent pm too?
Thanks
Peter

Russell Neyman
11-16-2011, 1:30 PM
That's partly true Russell...alignment is always and issue and there are always, in a well made box, two alignments points. Gluing RE mag's is never easy!!! Those little guys like to stick to everything and if the alignment is off even a fraction...it shows. By drilling the pin holes first, attaching the lid and bottom magnet, you can easily mark the upper location for the top RE and be exact every time.

Exactly. I use centering pins, made to align dowels. You could also temporarily mount the lid to the base with dowels, turn it perfectly, then replace the dowel with the magnets.

Robert McGowen
11-16-2011, 1:32 PM
Great, this thread just cost me $8.28. I have to stop reading with a credit card so close to the computer.

Jim Burr
11-16-2011, 5:13 PM
Great, this thread just cost me $8.28. I have to stop reading with a credit card so close to the computer.

Ha!!! Sorry Robert:o! I'll stay out next time!! I have a craft show at one of my hospitals on the 20th...working of 8 of 10 saltboxes...30 pens, 20 stoppers, 10 coffee scoops and questionable art pieces:(...2 shows on the same day...wife gets to do the non profit one just because she's really cute! I have to travel, but I work there anyway:p

Jim Burr
11-16-2011, 5:19 PM
All recent PM requests sent:D

Robert McGowen
11-16-2011, 5:36 PM
Just in case anyone is looking for the magnets, I purchased the magnets from e-bay from link above. I have no idea if it was a good price or not and really did not care enough to find out. Long story short, they had a make offer button and buy it now button. Made offer, was declined, but would discount 8%, made offer 8% lower than buy it now price, was accepted and shipped within 30 minutes. Price was $8.28 for 20 magnets, including shipping. YMMV

Jim Burr
11-16-2011, 7:21 PM
Cool!! Thanks Robert!...ebay is a great resource for those! Not sure but there are about 100 in the shop...not just for salt boxes!!

Robert McGowen
11-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Okay Jim - need some help here with instructions. My twin are juniors in college getting a math major and they could not help me out! :)

"Pic #1) Measure your pin so the majority is in the base and 2/3 is in the lid" :eek:

Jim Burr
11-17-2011, 6:25 AM
Ha!!! Yeah I was very ill at the time...drug induced no doubt:o! I'd stick 1/4 to 1/3 in the lid. My lids are usually 1/2" thick so I'll stick 1/4" of the pin in the lid. Thanks for pointing that out;)

Dave Bell
12-30-2021, 10:11 PM
I am interested in the link as well Jim.
TIA.

CHARLES D Richards
12-31-2021, 8:04 AM
I am interested in the link as well Jim.
TIA.

me too Jim.

thank you and happy New Year

Dave Fritz
12-31-2021, 9:42 AM
I'd appreciate your tutorial as well Please.

Thanks.

Robert Henrickson
12-31-2021, 10:14 AM
NOTE - This thread was last posted to more than 10 years ago before these three recent posts requests for a link

Tim Tucker
01-01-2022, 9:08 AM
Hi Jim!
Can I get that link as well?
Thanks
T

John Keeton
01-01-2022, 6:23 PM
And, Jim Burr hasn’t visited the creek since 2014!!!!!

I am pretty sure he is not going to respond to these requests. :D

Dave Fritz
01-02-2022, 9:07 AM
So does anyone have his plans? Or other tips and tricks to line up the magnets? Obviously it's a relevant topic.

Adam Wager
01-04-2022, 10:40 AM
For anyone else looking, googling jim burr hinge salt box got me to what I presume is the tutorial he mentioned all those years ago.

David Walser
01-04-2022, 11:26 AM
For anyone else looking, googling jim burr hinge salt box got me to what I presume is the tutorial he mentioned all those years ago.

Adam -- Google's search results are dependent on a user's prior search history. So, it would be nice if you were to post a link to the tutorial you found.

Maria Alvarado
01-04-2022, 12:20 PM
I believe we aren't allowed to post links to other forums, but my search found his tutorial was posted on Family Woodworking (mods if this isn't allowed please act accordingly). I also found an Intractable that gives a decent description of techniques I've used before. If this link isn't allowed, please remove it:https://www.instructables.com/Salt-Cellar-with-a-magnetized-lid/

Dave Fritz
01-05-2022, 9:49 AM
This video also shows several methods of lining up the pivot points. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azWl8TB1szo&ab_channel=MikeWaldt