PDA

View Full Version : Unusual piece of Walnut

Curt Fuller
11-12-2011, 1:50 AM
I got this small walnut bowl blank from GotWood. It was coated in a heavy layer of wax when it came so it just looked dark like regular old walnut. This evening I turned it, green, from start to finish without letting it dry, into this small bowl. The walnut is different than any I've ever seen. It has almost a greenish color in the center with a little of the normal walnut color next to that and then some normal light sapwood. It has a couple brown areas running horizontally through the greenish wood too that are near the bottom of the bowl. Kind of pretty but really different compared to any walnut I've ever seen. It's 8" x 3" with 3/16" thick, just has a coat of AO on it so far.

212708 212709 212710

Marty Eargle
11-12-2011, 1:55 AM
Wow, that is some interesting wood. Hopefully the color won't change too much over time.

Steve Vaughan
11-12-2011, 6:32 AM
That's beautiful grain! Keep an eye on it, I'd wonder how it might change with a bit of time, but if it would stay like that, wow!

Michelle Rich
11-12-2011, 7:21 AM
that is different! almost zebrawood or marblewood. Maybe they mislabeled it?? Whatever it is, it grabs the eye

John Keeton
11-12-2011, 7:30 AM
Curt, in coloration that looks more like Turkish walnut to me, but not the really open grain you have there. Interesting!! Very nice bowl, in any event!

Roland Martin
11-12-2011, 7:52 AM
Wow, that is an odd hunk of walnut, but really interesting. Hopefully it'll retain the color and not lighten too much.

dan carter
11-12-2011, 8:32 AM
Nice looking bowl. My guess would be that the green will diminish alot in the coming days. Will be interesting to see what is looks like in a few weeks.

Roger Chandler
11-12-2011, 8:32 AM
Dunnowalnutwood? That is a looker for sure Curt!

Jim Burr
11-12-2011, 8:44 AM
Glad you got that piece Curt...I'd have made a pen out of it! Interesting to see if the color changes over time.

Donny Lawson
11-12-2011, 8:46 AM
That is a great and interesting piece for sure.

Nathan Hawkes
11-12-2011, 9:15 AM
Curt, often times very freshly cut walnut will be completely green inside, then as it dries out and gets exposed to oxygen, it turns brown. I've seen this at least three times where the inside is just like yours, and it slowly turns brown. Pretty cool though.

Sid Matheny
11-12-2011, 9:28 AM
What a great looking bowl but can't believe its walnut. Whatever it is, its a beauty.

Sid

Jesse Goodwin
11-12-2011, 11:46 AM
A few months ago, I got a big load of walnut that I was going to have sawn for lumber. The old sawyer that I contacted about sawing it, told me to store it in my barn for at least a year before sawing it so the wood would develop the rich dark color that I wanted. I have been turning some of it, along the way and the longer I've had it the darker it is.

When I die, just bury me in my shavings.

Cecil Walborn
11-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Thar look a lot like butternut which is a member of the walnut family of trees. I have turned some butternut which looks just like that. I do know how big butternut get thou. The piece I have is smaller than that bowl. Anyway very beautiful grain in the piece. Just my thoughts.

Baxter Smith
11-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Never would have guessed that one Curt. Neat wood with a pleasing shape. Very nice bowl!

David Reed
11-12-2011, 1:03 PM
Lovely piece of wood. I wonder how much color would be retained with application of a good UV protectant.

Reed Gray
11-12-2011, 1:20 PM
My guess is English/Persian walnut that was grafted onto Black Walnut. If the English walnut is not grafted onto the black, it doesn't get any color to it and is rather bland shades of tan and grey. I have had a lot of English that looks like that. The grafting used to be common, but isn't done as much any more.

We had one Butternut here in town, unusual this far west, that was co holder for largest of its species. I think trunk circumference was 23 feet. They can get huge. The color of it was a beautiful light brown color.

robo hippy

Scott Hackler
11-12-2011, 1:38 PM
That is a very attractive piece of Walnut! Wouldn't you like to have a few more pieces of that? :)

Mike Cruz
11-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Curt, Tony DeMasi and I cut up a huge walnut a little while back and it was green like that, too. I roughed a piece out, coated it with Anchor Seal, and finished turning it a year later. It got brown. Now, I'm not sure about the other stuff that I cut into blanks. That might still be green. Will be fun to see. BTW, I really like your bowl!

Kathy Marshall
11-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Very nice bowl and cool looking wood!

robert baccus
11-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Actually all freshcut live walnut is green inside, sometimes with stripes as it oxides's. it is neat to preserve some of it as you apparently have. i've never finished out walnut as quickly as you did; maybe that is the secret.-----------------old forester

Art German
11-13-2011, 11:56 PM
If you don't mind a long time lurker from butting in. I'm a turner for afew years , and a turner for quite a frew more. That looks like piece of walnut cut just above the graft of either black walnut or claro walnut.

the reason I say this is I have been a walnut grower in california for 30 years. Just my Idea.