PDA

View Full Version : looking at getting into turning

Greg Hairston
03-04-2005, 2:11 PM
I have never turned and I do not own a Lathe. The wife has shown an interest in turning and I would like to learn how to turn some bowls. pens, and legs myself. I am looking for a good lathe to get started on and that will suit my needs as I grow. How about some recommendations

Greg

Jeff Sudmeier
03-04-2005, 2:47 PM
Some people have used the Harbor Freight lathe as a starter lathe with good sucess. My lathe is an OLD craftsman, from who knows when. I bought it from a friend.

I am sorry I don't have many suggestions for lathes. I can offer you this, it is a great new aspect to the woodworking hobby. I love to turn! A warning, there are MANY toys (tools) you can buy in turning!

Ken Salisbury
03-05-2005, 6:54 AM
I have never turned and I do not own a Lathe. The wife has shown an interest in turning and I would like to learn how to turn some bowls. pens, and legs myself. I am looking for a good lathe to get started on and that will suit my needs as I grow. How about some recommendations
Greg

If you want to start small I would recommend a Jet Mini. Then if you really get "the bug" I would suggest you save your $ and get a Jet 1642VS. I think it is a great "pair" to have.