PDA

View Full Version : Mexician Tablesaw

Sparky Paessler
03-04-2005, 2:01 PM
I was in Mexico last week building a medical clinic with a group from my church and saw this tablesaw that they use at the church next door to the clinic. The top is opened up for a blade change. And to think I paided all that money for a unisaw when I could have just made one!

Doug Shepard
03-04-2005, 2:12 PM
That's a pretty cool integral zero clearance design too.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-04-2005, 2:40 PM
Hey, that is one of the safer home-made table saws I have seen! Add a splitter to the zero clearance insert and it would be safer!

Michael Gabbay
03-04-2005, 2:42 PM
So it seems what we really are paying for is a splitter and dust collection. Don't let Harbor Freight see this design! :D

Dave Richards
03-04-2005, 3:32 PM
That's pretty slick! Just think, you could make the table for one of these from a full sheet of plywood, MDF or melamine and you wouldn't need an out feed table. :D

Michael Ballent
03-04-2005, 3:46 PM
Any ideas as to what they use for a fence?

Bruce Page
03-04-2005, 3:59 PM
They don't need no stinkin' fence, they freehand it! :eek:
Any ideas as to what they use for a fence?

John Hemenway
03-04-2005, 4:52 PM
So how did you get the picture of the new Georgia-Pacific TS? I didn't think they were going to hit the market for a month or two!
With that open stand it must be the Contractor version. :)

Richard Wolf
03-04-2005, 4:58 PM
Nice gloat.

David Wilson
03-04-2005, 5:27 PM
I saw one of those at Harbor Freight. LOL

Jerry Olexa
03-04-2005, 5:54 PM
Delta Porter Cable watch out!! Better get a patent on it quickly! Actually not a bad idea but not too safe!!:D :)

Per Swenson
03-04-2005, 6:18 PM
I have to give them alot of credit. Reminds me of one of my fathers

sayings. (commercial photographer for 40 years, if you are over 40 you have seen is work) Per, he would say, a true cameraman can take a picture with a card board box and a pin. And you will know its good.

Per

Steve Beadle
03-04-2005, 6:19 PM
Hey, Sparky! Where's the dust collection connection on that saw? :)

John Lucas
03-05-2005, 2:54 AM
Maybe a demo showing it stop on a taco?

Alan Turner
03-05-2005, 3:16 AM
I have seen photographs on the net of similar saws used in milling operations in South America. Pretty scary stuff. But, one makes do with what one has.

Frank Pellow
03-05-2005, 7:33 AM
They don't need no stinkin' fence, they freehand it! :eek:
And the ingenious person who built this, probably does better work "freehanding it" than most of us do with our expensive saws, fences, and splitters. I really admire the person who built this saw.

Tim Morton
03-05-2005, 7:58 AM
Not a knock on "us americans"...but I have been all over the world in my tours in the navy and have seem similar things. One of my memories pertains to golfing in the Philippines. If you ever get the chance I would recommend it. The particular course we were on was VERY hilly and unkempt. So we were all out there in out best golfing attire with the local caddies carrying our various bags of TM or calloway clubs and just hacking the heck out of the course. Noone was able to do anything except the caddies. Too poor to have golf balls or to pay for playing, they would tag along with us and on the occasion they came across a stray ball that was too beat up to sell to us of a quarter...they would take the one broken club they may have been carrying and take a "shot".....nothing sticks with me more than seeing a barefoot caddy with a broken club standing in a dirt and rock filled rough swing the club and hit the ball 200+ yards right at the pin...every time!!! Then go back to carrying all 4 bags of clubs on his back for the 5 bucks we would give him at the end of a 6 hour round of golf. I'm sure its no different with this Table saw. I would expect a twisted 2x4 and a couple of rocks as a fence. makes you chuckle though when you see us here talking about returning product because of a scuff on the CI or a table that is a 1/64 low in a spot. :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
03-05-2005, 8:10 AM
Good one John!!

Jerry Olexa
03-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Not a knock on "us americans"...but I have been all over the world in my tours in the navy and have seem similar things. One of my memories pertains to golfing in the Philippines. If you ever get the chance I would recommend it. The particular course we were on was VERY hilly and unkempt. So we were all out there in out best golfing attire with the local caddies carrying our various bags of TM or calloway clubs and just hacking the heck out of the course. Noone was able to do anything except the caddies. Too poor to have golf balls or to pay for playing, they would tag along with us and on the occasion they came across a stray ball that was too beat up to sell to us of a quarter...they would take the one broken club they may have been carrying and take a "shot".....nothing sticks with me more than seeing a barefoot caddy with a broken club standing in a dirt and rock filled rough swing the club and hit the ball 200+ yards right at the pin...every time!!! Then go back to carrying all 4 bags of clubs on his back for the 5 bucks we would give him at the end of a 6 hour round of golf. I'm sure its no different with this Table saw. I would expect a twisted 2x4 and a couple of rocks as a fence. makes you chuckle though when you see us here talking about returning product because of a scuff on the CI or a table that is a 1/64 low in a spot. :cool:
Tim, well said! We are a little spoiled! Gives you perspective...