PDA

View Full Version : My First Jewelry Box

Michael Ward 54
11-11-2011, 5:09 PM
I just wanted to share my jewelry box that I made for my mom. This past summer I basically set up shop in our garage working on various woodworking projects, as I started amassing my own tools. Needless to say my mom never got to park her car in the garage. So I made this as a little "thank you for putting up with me" sort of present. This jewelry box was completed in about 20 hours from me starting the first cut to handing it over to her. It's made from scraps of African Mahogany, Black Walnut, and the inlay is Big Leaf Maple Burl. Any advice or comments are welcome, I'm brand new to woodworking and any suggestions would be great. I've already learned a lot from this site.

Patrick Tipton
11-12-2011, 7:01 AM
Congratulations. That is a wonderful piece. I am betting you got lots of "ooo's and ah's" from your mom and she will cherish the box forever!

My only comment is about scale and proportion. To my eye, the box would be more aesthetically pleasing if it was a little taller. The top and bottom are relatively "heavy" compared to the side. Given the dark walnut and lighter mahogany, the effect is emphasized. Otherwise, looks like the execution is very well done and I think the box is very nice!

Regards, Patrick

David Keast
11-12-2011, 12:31 PM
+1 for that. Excellent workmanship.

Like Patrick, I would vote for either thinner lid and base, or taller sides, but I like it a lot as it is.

Michael Ward 54
11-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks Guys, and yes she loved it! I agree with the proportions, but I was confined to those dimensions based on the scrap I had on hand. Had I had a planer I would have planed down the top and bottom, but all I have is a router, table saw, and sander. I actually made the inlay recess by hand with some small chisels and a sharpened up micro flathaed screwdriver! Thanks again for your comments.