PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's Day...Honor Flight to DC...

Wally Dickerman
11-11-2011, 2:36 PM
One Year ago today, Veteran's Day, I was one of a group of 25 WW2 vets returning to Phoenix from our Honor Flight trip to DC to see the recently completed WW2 Memorial. During the whole trip we were treated like a bunch of heroes. Upon arriving at the Phoenix airport we were greeted by a large group of cheering, clapping people, many of them holding out their hand to shake our hand and thank us. There was an ROTC honor guard, a vets honor guard and more. There wasn't one of the vets who didn't have tears in his/her eyes. A very emotional trip for all of us.

I should mention that the whole trip was paid for by the folks at Honor Flights, a wonderful group of volunteers operating on donated money...Many thanks to them.

I also want to thank all vets for their service to their country.

John Keeton
11-11-2011, 2:40 PM
Wally, I have a good friend at church that recently returned from one of the Honor Flights. He thoroughly enjoyed the trip, but it was emotional for him, as well. Great effort on behalf our our WWII vets! Their service, and yours, should never be forgotten.

Scott Hackler
11-11-2011, 3:01 PM
That sounds awesome Wally. Thank you for your service to our country, your generation in particular is something we should all try to emulate.

Don Alexander
11-11-2011, 3:27 PM
thanks for your service Wally and thank you to all vets

Jamie Donaldson
11-11-2011, 3:27 PM
Thank you for your service Wally, and since I know a bit of your war history I can certainly say that you are a member of our greatest generation of Americans. I vividly remember several discussions in bunkers during slow times in Vietnam about the differences between the BIG WAR, WW II, and our "Police Action." Many of your buddies were in for the duration, and most of us were in theatre for only a year tour of duty, unless we re-upped for the bennies. But there was little difference to the families back home that lost sons or daughters.:o

Betty Fox
11-11-2011, 3:32 PM
Thank you to all Veterans.

Roger Chandler
11-11-2011, 4:08 PM
God bless our veterans and their families for their service, sacrifice and honor. You are all a national treasure!

Glenn Clabo
11-11-2011, 4:20 PM
Thank you Wally...
ANd for those who don't know about this...check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN2W429x_oA&feature=player_embedded

bobby lynn
11-11-2011, 5:30 PM
You all are heroes Wally.

Nate Davey
11-11-2011, 5:36 PM
From a currently serving member of the Army, thank you for your exceptional service. What you and your mates went through was world changing and you set a very high standard for all of us who have followed since. You are the heroes we aspire to be.

Bill Bolen
11-11-2011, 6:24 PM
Thank you for your honorable service Wally! I was called to duty from 1967-1969 and must say it breaks my heart to see our modern day Military who have served their country only return home unable to find a job. Those who end up on the street are deserving of a better fate. I don't believe it is because no one cares because so many obviously do. Guess we just aren't smart enough to fix what is fixable. Sorry about getting on my high horse, just find this to be a very emotional issue.

Ed Morgano
11-11-2011, 6:34 PM
A heart felt thanks to you Wally and to all who serve or have served in the past.

Harry Robinette
11-11-2011, 7:34 PM
Wally your time and sacrifices are what helped me decide to join the Air Force in 1970 and serve for 20 years. Thank you for your time and sacrifices.

Baxter Smith
11-11-2011, 8:35 PM
Thanks for your service Wally. Nice link Glenn.