PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating wooden table rails

Shaun Mahood
11-11-2011, 12:52 PM
We've got a wooden table that has wooden rails that slide open to add a couple leaves. They are quite stiff, and I was wondering if there was a good way to lubricate them. Let me know if my explanation makes no sense.

Zach Dillinger
11-11-2011, 12:54 PM
For lubricating moving wooden parts, I prefer to use paraffin canning wax. Just rub some on the slides and you should be good to go. Same stuff I use on the soles of my wooden planes.

Dale Cruea
11-11-2011, 2:06 PM
I use bees wax. I was told years ago you could use soap. I have found it some cases that soap has water and the water makes to wood swell.
I usually apply the bees wax and buff it a little. You don't have to buff but it helps so that it does not get all over everything.
I bought a 1/2 pound of bees wax from a bee keeper around here. Shave it into an air tight container and add some turpentine.
Add more until it is a nice thick paste. I also use it to lube screws on hard wood.
Turpentine is the only thing I know of that will dissolve bees wax.
When the turpentine evaporates it leaves the wax and a nice slick surface.
Good to wax some finished surfaces also.

ray hampton
11-11-2011, 2:20 PM
Turpentine is not the only thing that will dissolve bee wax, stomach acid will dissolve the beeswax too

Shaun Mahood
11-11-2011, 6:53 PM
Thanks for the help, I rubbed some paraffin on there and it really improved things.

Dale Cruea
11-11-2011, 9:05 PM
Thanks ray. That is good to know. :)
I think bees wax is what they put on M&Ms, or did at one time.

ray hampton
11-11-2011, 9:54 PM
SO, they will melt in your mouth , not in your hand

Bill Houghton
11-12-2011, 1:26 PM
furniture paste wax is my preference: nice balance of hardness when dry and ease of application. And one can will last you for years and years. At your local hardware store or big boxy store.

Jim Matthews
11-12-2011, 8:20 PM
+1 on paraffin. I keep a bar on my bench for handplanes. It's cheap, it's effective and it uses no solvents.

The problem you will face (provided the slides are like the ones I use) is getting the material into the grooves.
It's not easy to manipulate the wax when the slides are installed. Slip-It (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=213) is intended for this application and is applied with a small brush.

It's not cheap, but it really works. I applied some to my mechanical planer table and things scoot through, now.

phil harold
11-13-2011, 3:33 AM
or
you can use a product called slip-it (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=213)