PDA

View Full Version : 1" arbor grinding wheel on woodcraft grinder (5/8" arbor)

alex grams
11-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I am trying to find an arbor adapter to mount a 1" grinding wheel on the woodcraft grinder (which is a 5/8" arbor), but for the life of me cannot find what I am looking for (that or i do not recognize what I need when I find it)

Anyone have a link/supplier?

Thanks in advance.

Joe Bradshaw
11-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Alex, turn yourself one out of a nice piece of hardwood. It will fit much better than the plastic ones that come with the wheels or that you buy at the hardware store.

Prashun Patel
11-11-2011, 10:35 AM
You can order them from McMaster Carr or D-Way tools. D-way is the maker of a CBN grinding wheel that requires the same bushing.

Those steel bushings can sometimes appear not to fit properly. The trick is to gently file the arbor with sandpaper (while the grinder is spinning unloaded).

IMHO, a steel bushing is cheap and the best way to go. You really want yr wheel to run as true as possible.

alex grams
11-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Prashun, I think you are stalking my posts! I don't think i've posted anything in the last 2-3 weeks you haven't responded to! You could probably be done with the table by now if you didn't spend so much time helping me.

I am debating getting the CBN wheel. While it may not be something i really need at the moment, I think long term it will be a good investment, and with a baby due in a month or so, I really don't see me having the resources to spend on something like that for the few months post-birth.

Prashun Patel
11-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm not stalking you. But I do like that blue shirt you're wearing... ;)

Jay Maiers
11-11-2011, 1:41 PM
Alex,
I upgraded to the Oneway balancing system and may still have a steel bushing or two hanging around the house. The grinder is a cheap Ryobi, but I can't remember if it's a 1/2 shaft or 5/8. At any rate, if it's a 5/8 and I can find the bushing, it's yours. I'll set a reminder for myself and try to look for it tonight. If you don't hear from me in a day or two, shoot me a PM.