PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial's (Question) to the moderators

Paul Singer
11-11-2011, 9:07 AM
Is there a place where tutorials are stored for easy reference? If not could there be one created. The latest one created by Kathy Marshall is fantastic. Tutorials such as this and others are a great reference material but many times get lost and forgotten as time passes. I know I have searched for tutorials in the past within the threads and it is hard to find what you are looking for. The amount of time and effort put forward to create these can be enormous and they should be stored in a common place. I have seen this on other forums and if it exists here please ignore this request but please tell me where it is.

Dan Hintz
11-11-2011, 9:24 AM
There is a common space for tutorials, but they have to be written and tagged as such. In the case of generic thread posts (such as what Kathy did), it remains a generic post and over time will fall towards the bottom. You can either bookmark the thread, or ask Kathy really, really nicely to make it a proper tutorial...

Paul Singer
11-11-2011, 9:43 AM
Thanks Dan. I did find where these were stored (Woodworking Articles and Reviews) I guess. It looks like that board is closed to new entries. Lots of good info there.

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2011, 9:55 AM
Paul - back before our big software upgrade in December 2010, we used to move the tutorial type threads over to the Articles Forum (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?13-Woodworking-Articles-and-Reviews). Since the changeover, the only way to have a thread become a tutorial is to have the author create a new article and have it published on the Front Page. It is great exposure because once published, the article is accessible to anyone on the web.

If anyone has questions on how to get your tutorial published - please PM me or any of the moderators.

Will Winder
11-11-2011, 10:25 AM
It would be nice to have a sticky thread that links old tutorials. I've gone looking for the bell ornament tutorial a couple times.

John Keeton
11-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Here is a thought - Steve, Ken and I will discuss this, but I think we can agree that if someone would like to dig up some tutorial threads and post them in a new thread, we could "sticky" the thread and leave it open for others to add to the list. The list could be consolidated after a while into one post to make it easier, ultimately including the thread in the master sticky. I would suggest that you include both the title of the tutorial and the link.

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Thought we did that once... and it faded out due to inactivity.

Paul Singer
11-11-2011, 12:29 PM
John - That may be a great solution and then if new entries are developed they can be appended to the sticky by one of the moderators. I know alot of this information is already on the site but it is not always that easy to find.

James Combs
11-11-2011, 2:10 PM
Paul - back before our big software upgrade in December 2010, we used to move the tutorial type threads over to the Articles Forum (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?13-Woodworking-Articles-and-Reviews). Since the changeover, the only way to have a thread become a tutorial is to have the author create a new article and have it published on the Front Page. It is great exposure because once published, the article is accessible to anyone on the web. If anyone has questions on how to get your tutorial published - please PM me or any of the moderators.

Steve, in the recent past(post 2010) I have posted my tutorials in the "Authors" forum, not sure how to post on the "Front Page" except that I note that new posts in most any forum appear there for a while. Are we missing something on the front page?

Keith Outten
11-11-2011, 2:39 PM
Any thread or post can be promoted to an article but you have to be an admin to do so.
There is an icon at the bottom of every post to promote it to an article, I don't remember the specifics of how this works but I will discuss it with Aaron this evening and ask if we can allow Moderators to have access to this feature.

Aaron created the Authors Forum so people would have a place to compose their articles, reviews and tutorials. Once an article is complete people are supposed to send a message to Aaron so he can promote the new thread to an article. The new Main Page center area automatically picks up all articles and lists them the same way a new thread is available at the top of the page when you create it an a forum.

John Keeton
11-11-2011, 3:55 PM
Thought we did that once... and it faded out due to inactivity.I finally recalled who started the thread (Greg Ketell) I think Steve was referring to, and it is now a sticky - HERE (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?159171-quot-Start-to-finish-quot-How-To-Threads).

If anyone else has any links you feel appropriate, please add them.

Marty Eargle
11-11-2011, 4:05 PM
I think it would be great to get some more articles posted on the main page of the website. We have so much talent and knowledge here, and the woodturning section has tumbleweeds blowing through it. I think it would do a lot for us turners as well as increase the chance for other Creekers to get sucked into the vortex.

James Combs
11-11-2011, 9:02 PM
...Aaron created the Authors Forum so people would have a place to compose their articles, reviews and tutorials. Once an article is complete people are supposed to send a message to Aaron so he can promote the new thread to an article. The new Main Page center area automatically picks up all articles and lists them the same way a new thread is available at the top of the page when you create it an a forum.

Keith what does an "Authors" post look like when it is promoted to an "article"? Is it still in the Authors forum or does it move someplace else? I posted this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158250-Add-Reversing-Switch-To-Your-Grizzly-G0658-Midi-Lathe) back in January and I believe I was told to indicate when it was complete with the final post(see the last post in it). I don't recall having to contact Aron but it has been a while back, I may have and just don't remember it. I am asking mainly out of curiosity because I seem to remember needing to get some kind of permission/authorization to get into the Authors forum but again memory is fuzzy. If permission/authorization is required then probably not many people see the write ups in that particular forum but of course that is a mute point if permission/authorization is not required.

Edit:
I don't normally visit the "Home" page, I have a shortcut set to take me straight to the Turners forum when I log into SMC. After I posted the above I kind of remembered(a real task for me) something on the Home page about authoring articles. I checked it out and sure enough there are instructions listed about one page down on how to publish and article and it does require setting up access permission to the authors forum(it is a DIY process). So if anyone wants to be an author/tutor-er it is the place to go. However, re: Keith's comment about sending a "message" to Aron when you are ready to publish, I could not find those instructions.

Paul Singer
11-12-2011, 6:02 AM
John - Thanks for finding that post and making it a sticky. I think it will work out well.