PDA

View Full Version : Pegboard evil?!

Jerry Olexa
03-04-2005, 1:02 PM
I'm allowed one dumb question per month and besides Tyler's away (sipping a cocktail). I'm in middle of redoing my basement shop, moving things around, new wiring, new walls etc, basically enlarging, new workspace etc. My simple question is: Is there a viable alternatibve to good ole 1/4"pegboard?? In my case, you have to have a place to "hang" pliers, hammers, screwdrivers, squares,etc. etc. Pegboard is great for about the 1st 2 weeks, then the hooks start to come out w the tools etc. I don't want to break the bank, but is there a better option? I have been reading the other thread on garage walls but still stymied on what to do. One benefit in my case is , being that I adjoin the furnace, pegboard would provide a small amt of natural ventilation to that now cramped space?! Anyway, let me know your thoughts...Thanks "pegboard weary" Jerry:confused: :D :confused:

Jeff Sudmeier
03-04-2005, 1:13 PM
Jerry,

There is a new product, similar to peg board that is slat walls. Instead of little holes there are grooves running the lenght of it. The hangars look to be much better as well. The best part is that I belive that you can use the pegboard hangers you already have too.

JayStPeter
03-04-2005, 1:21 PM
You can try the Talon hooks. They hold themselves in, but are removable with couple twists from a screwdriver. They make pegboard acceptable. They still move around, but at least don't fall out. You can get them at Lee Valley and McFeelys for sure (maybe Rockler, can't remember). While not the ultimate, they are a good bang for the buck solution.

Jay

Stephen Dixon
03-04-2005, 1:30 PM
I used cheap 3/4" plywood, actually the tongue and groove subfloor stuff, to line my shop, a box of #8 casing nails is cheap and I can pull them and rearrange things as needed. I can hang anything anywhere.

Steve

Frank Pellow
03-04-2005, 3:13 PM
At least, it's good if you use Talon Pegboard Hooks. See the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13415

Rick Shelton
03-04-2005, 3:13 PM
I use the el'cheapo hooks (from HD, Lowes, etc.) with the little black straps that come with them to hold them in place. The straps take up a hole on either side, but this is not usually an issue. There are nicer hooks (like Talon) that work pretty good, but cost quite a bit more. You can also build your own tool holders out of scrap wood and use L-screws in the back to hook into the pegboard.

Richard Wolf
03-04-2005, 5:47 PM
Git rid of the pegboard. Thats for the guy that owns one hammer, two screw drivers, and one universal wrench(pliers). Build a nice tool cabnit or use rolling carts to move tools to work stations.

Richard

Frank Pellow
03-04-2005, 5:52 PM
Git rid of the pegboard. Thats for the guy that owns one hammer, two screw drivers, and one universal wrench(pliers). Build a nice tool cabnit or use rolling carts to move tools to work stations.

Richard
Obvoiusly I disagree. With the dependable Talon hooks, I love the flexibility that my 23' x 2' pegboard gives me.

Charles McKinley
03-04-2005, 5:53 PM
You can hot glue the hooks in. They stay put but can be removed if needed.

Jerry Olexa
03-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Good tips all around. Thanks. Sounds like Talon, grooved board, solid board, wooden racks w L hooks etc. Looks like most of you still use some variation of the pegboard and I will too for certain sections of the shop. Frank did you paint your pegboard white or did it come prefinished? I know an old issue of Woodsmith showed a way of building your own wooden racks that then fit into the pegboard. Good ideas...

Frank Pellow
03-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Frank did you paint your pegboard white or did it come prefinished?
Jerry, I painted it - I used two coats of oil based white enamal gloss -the same as the wall and ceiling of my shop.

Bob Smalser
03-05-2005, 10:03 AM
http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/2594266/71906896.jpg

I positively adore pegboard.

Nothing is as fast as having the right tool close at hand without opening drawers or doors....and nothing is as flexible for rearranging your tools as needed to save labor time.

Aesthetics are important in the home, not the shop. Efficiency is important in the shop....even for a hobbyist.

Ellen Benkin
03-05-2005, 12:28 PM
I lined my garage with plywood and can put hooks and nails wherever I want to. OSH and HD sell hooks that work well for most tools. For the few times I need pegboard I found a steel rack that uses pegboard hooks, but it can hang anywhere on my plywood walls.

George Matthews
03-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Anyway, let me know your thoughts...

I too had a similar dilema last Fall. And gathered ideas from another forum I frequent. Last moth I finished my shop using what I call 'Fat door' cabinets.
The entire thread is here... Pegboard? (http://www.workshopbuzz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2644)

I have since added more shelves to the inside of the doors, and have more that enough room.
Hope that helps...

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 2:19 PM
This post is to show that I am not the only one in the family who appreciates the Talon hooks. Margaret saw them in my shop and said "I wan't those". But, the holes in the pegboard in iher sewing room are not 1/4". So, as part of the current Sewing/Guest room renovation, I am drilling larger holes into the pegboard in the sewing machine corner.

Richard Wolf
03-06-2005, 2:51 PM
Frank, are they festool sneakers??

Richard

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 2:54 PM
Frank, are they festool sneakers??
Richard
I can see, now that you mention it, that, in the picture, they kind of look like they could be.

But, the answer is: no, they are hand-me-down Brooks sneakers.

Richard Wolf
03-06-2005, 3:01 PM
Frank, maybe you could post a picture of those talon hooks. I must admit that between your pegboard and Bob Smalser's painted white with all his good looking tools on it, doesn't look so bad. Maybe I could use some.

Richard

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 3:08 PM
Frank, maybe you could post a picture of those talon hooks. I must admit that between your pegboard and Bob Smalser's painted white with all his good looking tools on it, doesn't look so bad. Maybe I could use some.
Richard
See the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13415