PDA

View Full Version : What do you stand on while turning?

Donny Lawson
11-10-2011, 9:39 PM
Here lately after about an hour or so turning my back and side is killing me. My floor is concrete and I know that has alot to do with it. Does anyone else have this problem and what do you stand on?? I'm working on making some mats out of carpet padding to put in front of the lathe to hopefully help relieve some of the pain. I finished a bowl last night and my back was screaming before I was done.

Jon McElwain
11-10-2011, 9:43 PM
I've got some thick rubber mats that I got from a playground construction project. They really help with the fatigue. Also, it is easy to slouch over the lathe while turning, so it is good to have the spindle at about elbow height. Ellsworth is a big proponent of stretching before, during, and after working on the lathe. I have a bar in the shop that I hang from or do a few pull-ups now and again to help stretch out my arms, sides and back. A little stretching really goes a long way. I think the carpet will help a lot, but taking good care of your body will help too. That, or you need to take a couple weeks of work to turn and get in shape!!

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2011, 9:47 PM
I use a mat my son got me from Williams Sanoma. I think they are closed cell matts but they do work well. Of course about 6" of chips on the floor work well to.:D I have my lathe spindle height about 2" higher than my elbow height. I don't have to bend over and that helps.

phil harold
11-10-2011, 10:01 PM
I have 2 layers of these,

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3310384&navAction=

John Beaver
11-10-2011, 10:02 PM
I stand on my feet... (sorry, had to say it)

Lee Koepke
11-10-2011, 10:07 PM
i stand on two layers of the cheapy HF floor mats. I also jacked up my lathe so its above my elbows. I created a nasty pinched nerve / degenerative disk issue with a combination of concrete floor, leaning too far over, and sitting incorrectly at my computer ... scary time when you realize that if you mess up your back/neck--woodworking is all but history!!! Take care of it now, create good habits before you damage yourself.

Thom Sturgill
11-10-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm a shorty so I have a wood platform (2x4s with 1x6 on top) for my 1642 with mats similar to the ones Phil linked to. I got mine at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html).
212609 (http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html)

Roger Chandler
11-10-2011, 10:18 PM
I stand on a piece of anti-fatique mat, purchased from Lowes home improvement stores. They have it on rolls, and sell it by the foot. It is about 30" or more wide, and I used a small piece to make a jam chuck to place bowl rims against to turn off the bottoms, before I got my cole jaws, and now my vacuum chuck. It works pretty well for helping the old legs and back!

Ian Upwood
11-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I find standing with one foot on a house brick or something that size for half hour then reversing feet really eases back pressure.

Jim Burr
11-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Being 5' 9" and having a 4' high bench I use a "mat" of 2x4's 3' wide and 5' long set on the edge, framed in with a 1/8" gap in between the beams. Rubber restaurant mat on that for my old feet and I'm kinda happy.

Hayes Rutherford
11-10-2011, 10:35 PM
I have a pair of Asolo hiking boots that have space age shock absorbing material so it doesn't matter what kind of floor I stand on. Try standing on a few inches of shavings, should be readily available.

Wally Dickerman
11-10-2011, 10:40 PM
My 90 year old body needs all of the TLC it can get. I have commercial grade 1/2 inch thick mats made for workers standing at a machine for my lathe, my work bench and my bandsaw.

It is very important to have your lathe at the correct height for comfortable turning. Spindle at elbow height is find if what you do is spindle turning. If you do bowl turning it should be 2 or 3 inches or even more, above elbow height. I do my HF turning at the end of my outboard bed. I want the spindle height to be where I can stand comfortably, without bending at all while I'm handling the hollowing tools.

Jon McElwain
11-10-2011, 10:41 PM
You could always get one of these...

David E Keller
11-10-2011, 10:51 PM
You also might try throwing some gel inserts into your turning shoes. I stand on a hard floor all day at work, so I've played around with a lot of different shoes... I find that Danskos are the most comfortable for my feet... YMMV.

Sparky Paessler
11-10-2011, 11:12 PM
I use a horse stall mat which is rubber and about 3/4 thick from Tractor Supply.

Scott Hackler
11-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I use the inexpensive play mats from Sam's Club. I double them up but I am looking for a replacement. The puzzle like edges dont stay together after a while and I would rather have a anti-fatigue mat. At our office the CSR's have some really nice squishy floor mats. I might have to ask them where they came from.

Wayne Hendrix
11-10-2011, 11:23 PM
I have a skateboard on a track with a short ramp at each end. It makes proper technique easier, I just start on one of the ramps and get into position on the board. When I am ready to make the first cut I simply nudge myself down the ramp and hold my body still, thus effecting the perfect cut technique as minimal movement comes from my arms. I find it much easier than the common method that involves using your legs and hips. The ramp at the other end slows me down and returns me to position for the next cut. With good bearings I find that I can get about three passes before needing to start over at the top of the first ramp.
I use these mats from woodcraft: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004762/17425/AntiFatigue-Floor-Mat-2-x-5-Pebble-Beveled-Edge.aspx They quite often go on sale for around $15. They also clean up pretty easy and roll up small when I don't need them.

Greg Just
11-10-2011, 11:27 PM
I have interlocking foam pads all over my shop. It also softens the blow when you drop a gouge.

curtis rosche
11-10-2011, 11:37 PM
i stand on about 3 inches of shavings :rolleyes:

Vince Welch
11-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Donny,

Good Question! You have to be comfortable when turning or your discomfort is a distraction at the least. I use matts that I got from Sams Club. They really work well and are designed that you can place them in any configuration you might like. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...384&navAction= (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...384&navAction=)

Vince

Dennis Puskar
11-11-2011, 12:22 AM
I have a wood floor but I stand on a heated anti fatigue mat.

Joe Watson
11-11-2011, 1:29 AM
Used anti-fatigue mats that i snag from work when they toss them out - they have two kinds, solid and ones with about one inch holes in them - the holey ones are nice.

Anther thing ive done is stand on a piece of plywood (i have concrete floor too) - it made a pretty big difference.

_

thomas prusak
11-11-2011, 1:48 AM
Trellis Wellness Mat. 2'x3' is $115.00. They must have a minimum selling price because a web search shows all the same price . They are made in USA and although they are definitely pricey I guarantee you will not regret buying it once you have it.

Eric Holmquist
11-11-2011, 6:35 AM
I have two layers of anti-fatigue mats all year round, and a heated mat on top of those in the colder months. That cushion helps all year long and having warm feet in the winter helps alot.

Michelle Rich
11-11-2011, 6:48 AM
this is one of the reasons I have the old Nova 3000. I can sit and do bowls head on..I can use a stool with wheels and maneuver just like I'm on my feet. i can also sit up very straight & take the pulling and tension out of my back.

Darryl Hansen
11-11-2011, 7:39 AM
Donny, I had a hip replacement because of an accident. I had a problem with my back and side of the replacement hurting when I turned on the lathe. The Nurse practitioner whose husband is a turner suggested getting a closed foam mat at Home Depot She uses them in her kitchen. They are about 2X3 ft for $19.00 in the carpet area. Worked wonders.

Alan Trout
11-11-2011, 9:18 AM
I am and always have been flat footed. It is inherited, all the men on my dads side of the family have the problem including my little boy. When I was younger it was not big deal but after the age of 40 I have noticed by heals just killing me from the pressure I put on them all day. I was at harbor freight a couple of weeks ago and they had their 4 piece anti-fatigue mats on sale for $6.99 For that kind of money I had to give them a try. They work pretty good. I am not sure how long they will last but for 7 bucks if they last a year it is a heck of a deal. I would guess with them all put together it is about a 4'x4' that it fits.

Alan

Nate Davey
11-11-2011, 9:59 AM
I use the 4'x6'x3/4" rubber horse stall matt from Tractor Supply

Will Winder
11-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I have a concrete floor and my spindle probably isn't much over waist height. That's a pretty terrible combination and needless to say I can't work on it for long periods of time.

My lathe is on a factory stand so I always sort of figured it was at some sort of ideal height.

Reed Gray
11-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Things that make your back hurt:

Lathe too high, not so much. Lathe too low, a lot. Tool rest and headstock spindle should be at elbow height. Higher or lower depends on how you turn. I hold my chisels more level, so about elbow height is fine for me. If you like to use the dropped handle, then having it a bit higher helps.

Concrete floors are hard on all parts of your body. Good shoes/foot support/insoles are necessary. Anti fatigue mats are great. I found some 7/8 inch thick neoprene ones at a local mat place. They have the horse stall mats and told me they are fine if I weighed about 1500 pounds. Still better than concrete. Wood flooring is good as well.

Posture is the main back killer. If you are not standing up straight, then your back will hurt in very short order. If your lathe is at proper height, then it comes to turning style. If you have a sliding or pivoting headstock, then you have a bowl lathe, you can hold the tools closer to your body and it is easy to move with the tools. If you have a long bed lathe, then you can't turn the same way. You can hold your arms out more, like Stuart Batty does, or there are some other tool techniques you can use, but you have to reach out more with your arms.

Stretching is a good thing!

robo hippy

Ralph Lindberg
11-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Besides the usual good quality mat, SWMBO bought me an electrically heated mat. I put that on top of my regular mat and my feet are not quite as cold

Dick Wilson
11-11-2011, 2:15 PM
Donny, I think I have a rubber mat that I stand on:confused::o. Ah, yes I do. Unfortunately, shortly after starting a piece I find myself standing on shavings. When my back starts hurting and my hand position doesn't feel right I look down. It's time to get out the broom. Helpful hint: If you have to kneel to turn you are past the broom stage.......it's time for the show shovel:D.

ray hampton
11-11-2011, 2:25 PM
Donny, I think I have a rubber mat that I stand on:confused::o. Ah, yes I do. Unfortunately, shortly after starting a piece I find myself standing on shavings. When my back starts hurting and my hand position doesn't feel right I look down. It's time to get out the broom. Helpful hint: If you have to kneel to turn you are past the broom stage.......it's time for the show shovel:D.

I,ve a brand-new show shovel and I hope that it stay a show shovel not a snow shovel

Del Hollingsworth
11-11-2011, 2:37 PM
Ditto on the horse stall mat ($39 at Tractor Supply). I also wear Croc's when turning. I tried the puzzle mat from Sam's Club, but find the thicker stall mat is better and easier to clean.

Donny Lawson
11-11-2011, 4:49 PM
Thanks for the Great replies and suggestions. I will double check the lathe height and get a mat. The shavings are not working because they are not even all the time.

Terry Quiram
11-11-2011, 6:40 PM
I went very low tech for mine. A couple thickness of carpet padding and a cheap rubber runner.

Harry Robinette
11-11-2011, 7:11 PM
I use the Gel mat they sell at Home Depot in the flooring dept the color isn't to good but man they are GREAT for the feet,legs,back and all other body parts. I have a bad back and knees and this thing is great. I also use Dr Sholles Work Mate insoles and my shop floor is coverd with 1/2" thick interlocking rubber pads which I've had for years and they worked good but the Gel Mat really made a huge difference's.

ray hampton
11-11-2011, 8:31 PM
if the mats are on the floor and a sheet of plywood are place on top of the mats, will this help your feet ? how would innertubes under the plywood help ?

Baxter Smith
11-11-2011, 8:45 PM
I have 3/4" ply over 1" sleepers on my concrete floor. A lot better than concrete but can still get tiring so I added the interlocking foam mats in front of the lathe. Have another more expensive mat on top of that. All that and a pair of Timberland Pro workboots keeps me comfortable.

Mark Patoka
11-14-2011, 1:28 PM
I use a hard rubber mat with holes in it I got from one of the 'borgs a few years back. They interlock and I have them in front of my lathe, bench and table saw.

Sean Hughto
11-14-2011, 1:36 PM
What do I stand on while turning?

Why, the shoulders of giants, of course.

Rich Aldrich
11-14-2011, 9:05 PM
Shavings - lots and lots of shavings on top of concrete. I need a rubber mat to so my shavings feel softer.

Richard Jones
11-14-2011, 9:57 PM
Rubber mat from Lowe's and Crocs. The Crocs have been a lifesaver on concrete.........

Rich

Richard Jones
11-14-2011, 10:00 PM
I find standing with one foot on a house brick or something that size for half hour then reversing feet really eases back pressure.

That's why there's bar rails!! People that get tired don't drink as much........

Rich