PDA

View Full Version : SawMill Creek Swap Meet May 14th, 2005

Keith Outten
03-04-2005, 12:55 PM
On Saturday May 14th 2005 we will host the first official SawMill Creek Swap Meet and Woodworkers Gathering in Gloucester County Virginia. We are planning on this being a huge event so make your plans now to attend. There will be drawings for prizes and plenty of space for hundreds of woodworkers and their famillies. Our Swap meet will be hosted twice each year, the fall Swap Meet will be in October. As more details become available we will post the information as quickly as possible.

Come gather with all of your SMC friends and bring any tools, equipment or lumber you are interested in selling or money for the goodies you are interested in purchasing. We should be able to host as many demonstrations as there are volunteers so don't be shy and let me know if you are interested in showing off any particular skill you might have or tool you just purchased.

Jackie is in the process of scheduling food vendors and other services for those of you who will be traveling, however everyone is welcome to bring along your own picnic lunches, chairs, tables and anything else that will make your visit more comfortable and enjoyable. We have four to five acres of lawn available for parking and all of the festivities that go along with such an event. We will also be able to provide electrical hookups for tool testing and lifting equipment if necessary to transfer tools from truck to truck :)

Aaron and I are putting together laser engraving, dye-sublimation printing and CNC routing demonstrations. Hopefully our own Ken Salisbury will be able to offer his advice and experience once again and do some pen turning for those who interested in advancing their skills. My friend and neighbor owns a WoodMizer Mill and we hope to be able to schedule at least a couple log cutting demonstrations, and he has thousands of board feet of lumber for sale...all of it kiln dryed in his Ebac dehumidification kiln.

Please let us know if you are planning to attend so we can plan the necessary services. This should be an absolutely huge event, you don't want to miss this one.

FreeStuff on Steroids
We have been contacting the companies who have been supportive of SMC in the past asking them to donate tools and supplies for SwapMeet Drawings. The results of our efforts have been excellent however we have a few more phone calls to make so the list below will be updated as soon as information becomes available. We have also offered each of these companies the opportunity to join us and setup a booth to demonstrate their products.

The following is a list of companies that have already pledged to donate tools or supplies for our drawings;

MicroJig - MicroJig has once again proven to be a great supporter of SawMill Creek by donating four prizes for our SwapMeet doorprize drawings. Henry Wang sent me two MicroJigs and two of their new MJ Handle Bridge Sets to give away at our May 14th SawpMeet. http://www.microjig.com/

General Industrial Supply

Two Wilton Variable Speed Mini Lathes
Wilton Scroll Saw
Wilton Router/Router Table Combo
Carb-Tech 12 piece router bit set
Carb-Tech 5 piece router bit door set

Forrest Blades - Dave Morgan of 3D Saw Blades Internet Sales has donated a 10" x 40T x 1/8" kerf WoodWorker II sawblade as a drawing prize. The WWII is one of the most popular sawblades on the market and we are certainly pleased to have Dave's organization as a supporter of our event. Visit their web site at http://www.forrestblades.com

eurekazone - Dino Makropoulos has once again donated one of his Smart Guide Systems. Dino and his company have been steadfast as one of our most active supporters and were happy to donate once again for our SwapMeet. Dino will personally attend and demo his system. http://www.eurekazone.com

Northwind Associates - Northwind Associates will donate a custom shop sign that will be designed and made during the SwapMeet. Northwind has also donated a Delphi Roady2 XM Satelite Radio complete with a Home Kit that connects your portable Satelite Radio to any home stereo system.

Curly Woods - Mike Mastin is sending 10 bf of 4/4 curly Yellow Birch to us for an SMC SwapMeet drawing prize. Figured Hardwood Lumber from Curly Woods in Texas, it don't get any better.
http://www.curlywoods.com/

Bethlehem Olive Wood Imports - Diane has once again offered to donate some of her beautifull olivewood pen blanks as a drawing prize. Thanks again to Diane Darwesh and Bethlehem OliveWood for their generous contribution! http://www.bethlehemolivewood.net

Art Specialties International - Ken Dolph has been kind enough to donate a Corian Nativity Light Kit for our SwapMeet Drawing. The nativity Kit can be seen on their web site listed below.
http://stonewood.safeshopper.com/12/7.htm?502

Penn State Industries sent us one of their new Pen Press Assemblies to give away at our SwapMeet. The #Penpress2 adjusts instantly and exerts up to 300 pounds of pressure.
http://www.pennstateind.com/

WoodCraft has sent me the following items for our SwapMeet free prize drawings;
1 - A $75.00 gift certificate
2 - The Art of Segmented Wood Turning by Malcolm Tibbetts
3 - WoodCraft Magazine January 2005
4 - WoodCraft Magazine March 2005
5 - WoodCraft Magazine May 2005
http://www.woodcraft.com/

Berea Hardwoods donated two flat top American solid Sterling Silver ballpoint pen kits. These will make beautiful pens for someone special.
http://www.bereahardwoods.com

Festool - Bob Marino, a Festool Independant Sales Agent and Member of SMC, has donated a Festool ES 125 sander as a drawing prize for the SwapMeet. Bob has once again shown his support for our woodworking community at SawMill Creek.
http://festool.safeshopper.com/

Eagle America - Earl Reid contacted Eagle America of Chardon Ohio and they have sent us a $50.00 gift Certificate as their contribution to our SwapMeet FreeStuff Drawings. Ya can't have enough router bits so this is a prize that everyone will be able to use.
http://www.eagle-america.com/html/index.asp

You must send me an email with your name and address and be present at the SwapMeet to win a prize.

keith@sawmillcreek.org

http:www.sawmillcreek.org/swapmeet

Greg Hairston
03-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Great Keith,
I move from Va and then you decide to have a get together. Just figures.

Greg

Randy Moore
03-04-2005, 2:10 PM
Greg,

Didn't you leave something behind that you need to go back and get.
I am in Kansas so I won't make it, Just my luck that it would be on the Right coast, or the left coast but never in the middle. HAHAHA :)
Randy

Jim Stastny
03-04-2005, 4:08 PM
Man, it figures. That's the day my second daughter graduates from college. I don't think she would appreciate my going to a tool swap meet in lieu of her event ;)

Michael Ballent
03-04-2005, 5:18 PM
Man, it figures. That's the day my second daughter graduates from college. I don't think she would appreciate my going to a tool swap meet in lieu of her event ;)
Tell here that you will be there for her graduation when she gets her Masters and then when she gets her PhD. I think that she should take it fairly well :p

David Wilson
03-04-2005, 5:21 PM
Kieth
I would love to attend. Any chance you could send me airline tickets? LOL

Keith Outten
03-04-2005, 7:06 PM
Greg, you already know how to get from Virginia to Tenn, just reverse the trip.

Randy, just head East!

Jim, don't even think about missing a graduation, your life could be at risk.

David, I could engrave you a set of airline tickets (counterfit) but they might get you a trip to a different location than the Swap Meet.

Frank Carpenter
03-04-2005, 10:17 PM
I will be bringing some goodies to. HTC mobile base for unisaw, 50" unifence, and a couple of trivials.

Ken Salisbury
03-05-2005, 6:19 AM
Hopefully our own Ken Salisbury will be able to offer his advice and experience once again and do some pen turning for those who interested in advancing their skills.

I will defintely attend. As far as helping folks advance their skills (whatever that means) I am not sure if I can other than demonstrating the proper method of consumption of Bud Light :D

I am looking forward to seeing all of you there.

Russ Massery
03-05-2005, 9:36 AM
Wow! Kens instructing the proper way to do 12 oz arm curls :eek: . Seriously I'm looking forward to attending and meeting fellow creeker's.

Jerry Clark
03-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Hey, is that close to So. California?

Keith Outten
03-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Jerry,

All you need is a plane ticket, its just a couple of hours in a comfotable seat :)
Before you make up your mind wait untill we have a chance to post all the details, maybe some very cool FreeStuff Drawings will entice you to join us :)

Keith Outten
03-09-2005, 5:55 AM
Ken and I have been calling many of the vendors who have provided gifts for our FreeStuff Drawings and the response has been great. Many are willing to donate tools and supplies for our SwapMeet drawings. We will announce the listing of vendors and the gifts they are donating very soon.

I would be glad to provide a listing of tools/supplies/lumber that people will be bringing to the swap meet if enough people respond. Drop me an email with a list of what you have to swap purchase or sell an I will publish a listing for the event. It won't be by name, just a list of items that will be available at the SwapMeet.

Keith Outten
03-09-2005, 6:02 AM
Don't forget that you need to register in advance by sending me an email, please include your name and address. I will print your email and it will be used to drop in the drawing tub for the free prizes drawings. You must be present at the SwapMeet to win.

keith@sawmillcreek.org

Ted Shrader
03-09-2005, 9:37 AM
Keith et al -

Sounds like a great time. I plan to be there.

For those of you that might be coming from a little farther away and want to have a couple more things on the agenda, there is a lot to do in the area. History related: Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, various museums and Naval bases and forts to tour. Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion amusement parks and plenty of outlet mall shopping for those so inclined.

Ted

Keith Outten
03-09-2005, 5:04 PM
If you will read my first post in this thread I have added an announcemet concerning companies who are offering to donate drawing prizes for our SwapMeet. We will publish a web page with all of the news concerning the SwapMeet very soon and list the companies and the prizes that have been donated.

Additionally MicroJig is willing to do another "Bulk Buy" of anything in their product line. We can arrange to have MicroJig ship directly to us any one of their products at the same discount we were offered in our FreeStuff Bulk Buy we did last year. If you missed the MicroJig deal you will have another chance...but you will have to attend the SwapMeet to pick up your products, we will not be shipping MicroJigs this time.

Andrew Haynes
03-09-2005, 8:23 PM
I will be there. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. It will be nice to be around folks who speak the same language, 9 times out of 10 my wife has no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to woodworking.:D

Andy

Ken Salisbury
03-10-2005, 7:22 AM
It will be nice to be around folks who speak the same language, 9 times out of 10 my wife has no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to woodworking.:D
Andy
You should have married one who was bilingual instead of a pretty one then http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smiley2.gif

Carole Valentine
03-10-2005, 8:14 AM
A WWing function within an easy driving distance! I will be there, provided the BT is not closed by an errant freighter or somesuch nonsense.:)

Keith Outten
03-16-2005, 8:28 AM
The SawpMeet is shaping up nicely and we are adding to the list of vendors who are donating prizes almost every day. Now I need volunteers for demonstrations. Anyone willing to help me out?

Keith Outten
03-17-2005, 6:14 AM
The list of companies who are donating prizes for our SwapMeet is growing. Please review the first post in this thread for the details and don't forget to drop me an email with your name and address if you plan to attend. Your email message will be printed and used for our drawings. If you don't send me an email then you won't have a chance to win.

Tom Mullane
03-17-2005, 7:35 AM
OK how far from Hagerstown, MD, Keith... I am just off RT 81.. it takes me an hour to get to Winchester VA... sounds like a fun time...

Jackie Outten
03-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Tom,

It's about another 4 hours from Winchester. Hope you can make it.

Jackie Outten

Earl Reid
03-24-2005, 9:24 AM
We are planning to attend the swap meet. I would like to bring some items to donate to sawmill that could be sold, possibly at a donation booth. Maybe others would bring items to help out also.
Earl

Ernie Hobbs
03-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Just wondering- are future swap meets going to be in VA or are you guys planning to rotate around the country? The reason I ask is that I would really like to go but the distance is a little hard to swing right now. However, if a swap meet was organized for somewhere closer, I would be all over it.

Keith Outten
03-30-2005, 8:07 AM
Ernie,

Any Member of SawMill Creek can host an SMC SwapMeet and we will do everything we can to support the effort. In time we hope to see official SMC sponsored events all over the country...even the left coast :)

The drive from Alabama might not seem so long if you join us and win one of the drawing prizes :)

We will have more information to share concerning prizes in the very near future.

Bill Lewis
03-30-2005, 9:05 AM
Am I missing something? Is there a location established for the meet? Address? Or is this only obtained via email?

I was just in Yorktown/W'burg yesturday. A "quick" one day trip.

Aaron Koehl
03-30-2005, 9:58 AM
Am I missing something? Is there a location established for the meet? Address? Or is this only obtained via email?

I was just in Yorktown/W'burg yesturday. A "quick" one day trip.

The first post in this thread contains all of the location and date information for the Swap Meet. (Gloucester County, Virginia)

Here is a list of nearby Hotels and Motels (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=search&formtype=searchadv&country=US&address=&city=Hayes&state=VA&zip=23072&location=ExYjtOu7Wx79ShLpbfxHPRwzCgJYo0GMT7rwlyfgN BKBGw%2bHJwdNEJ6qhOtsk2KZNDaayHANZKmaZzMDi5vJ9yNot %2b0mGbwn&cat=Hotels), courtesy of Mapquest.

For those who want to stay in a really nice Bed and Breakfast rich in history, check out the Inn at Warner Hall (http://www.warnerhall.com). I've played there (on piano) for a number of different occasions, but have no commercial affiliation. It's about 10 minutes away.

For the actual address to the event, email Keith Outten (keith@northwindassociates.com). Keith is working on posting a page with pertinent information soon.

Ernie Hobbs
03-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Ernie,

Any Member of SawMill Creek can host an SMC SwapMeet and we will do everything we can to support the effort. In time we hope to see official SMC sponsored events all over the country...even the left coast :)

The drive from Alabama might not seem so long if you join us and win one of the drawing prizes :)

We will have more information to share concerning prizes in the very near future.

Yeah, I know it is doable, since several folks are making a longer drive than that. However, I am already driving east for a brother-in-law's graduation a few weeks later and my work schedule the first part of May is pretty full.

Is there any chance that Ken :D would be interested in getting something together in the Huntsville, AL area? Maybe Nashville or somewhere this area? I'd be glad to help out.

Frank Lopez
04-01-2005, 8:51 PM
While I don't post on this site very often.... I'm always up for a good road trip. All I need is directions. Hope to be able to make it.

Keith Outten
04-02-2005, 6:39 AM
Buzz,

We will post a map and driving directions on the new web site for the SwapMeet with all the details later this weekend. Don't forget to send me an email with your name and address, we will print and use the email messages for all of the FreeStuff Drawings. If you don't send an email to me you won't be elligible to win.

The FreeStuff Drawing prizes are growing, General Industrial Supply may send us multiple tools to give away, they are keeping us in suspense for now but will announce their gifts shortly :)

Keith Outten
04-12-2005, 7:34 AM
Penn State Industries sent us one of their new Pen Press Assemblies to give away at our SwapMeet. The #Penpress2 adjusts instantly and exerts up to 300 pounds of pressure.

WoodCraft has also been very generous and has offered a $75.00 gift certificate and they are searching for a few other gifts to send our way.

Our SawpMeet is really shaping up and with so many prizes to award you will most definately want to join us on May 14th.

You must send me an email with your name and address and be present at the SwapMeet to win a prize.

keith@sawmillcreek.org

Keith Outten
04-12-2005, 7:52 AM
I have a Grizzly 24" Dual Drum Sander that I will auction at the SwapMeet. My Silent Auction of the sander will most likely be the best buy of the day or should I say the least cost per pound of any tool offered.

All members of SMC will be offered the opportunity to bid. I will post a new thread the morning of May 14th and bidding will be open until 2pm EST.

The winner must pick up the sander at my shop.

Tom Kelley
04-12-2005, 6:17 PM
I must have dozed off or something but I can't find the directions to the Swap Meet on May 14th. I'm booked at a motel and ready for a good time.

Tom Kelley

Keith Outten
04-14-2005, 6:15 PM
WoodCraft has sent me the following items for our SwapMeet free prize drawings;

1 - A $75.00 gift certificate
2 - The Art of Segmented Wood Turning by Malcolm Tibbetts
3 - WoodCraft Magazine January 2005
4 - WoodCraft Magazine March 2005
5 - WoodCraft Magazine May 2005

There are still several companies who have expressed their interest in providing tools for our SwapMeet drawings, I believe the current list includes 16 tools and is growing :)

Mike Leonard
04-18-2005, 6:37 AM
Keith,

Your timing couldn't be better. I have been in Kuwait since last year and hope to be returning about 1 May. :D I will definitely be there. I have been contemplating some new purchases for the shop. I think I will wait and see what the swap meet produces before I write a check to the local Woodcraft.
I will be sending you the required info to be eligible for the prize drawings.

I've been excited about coming home. The chance to rub elbows with some fellow creekers just adds to the excitement. Maybe if I bring some ice cold BL for Ken he will share some of his woodworking prowess with me.

Keith Outten
04-18-2005, 7:49 AM
Mike,

It will sure be good to see you again and we all wish you a safe and speedy trip home.

There will be plenty of tools and stuff as drawing prizes and lots of people are bringing equipment and lumber to sell. I am going to silent auction my 24" drum sander and have the Grizzly radial drill to sell. As far as Ken goes it doesn't take much to get the Old Rebel talking, just pop the first top and away he goes :).

My workshop has undergone a huge transformation since your last visit. My Dad and I have almost completed a total rehab moving everything around to find as much floor space as we can since we gave up almost 25% of the shop to the new router. I think one more weekend should finish the reorganization project.

Godspeed!

Ken Salisbury
04-18-2005, 4:33 PM
Keith,

Maybe if I bring some ice cold BL for Ken he will share some of his woodworking prowess with me.

Mike,

Looking forward to meeting you there.

Ken Salisbury
04-22-2005, 12:28 PM
I spoke with Dino Makropoulos today and discussed some recent design improvements made to the EZ Smart System. Dino will be doing system demonstrations at the Swap Meet. I for one am looking forward to meeting Dino and seeing the system demos.

We are adding more and more door prizes as time draws near to the event. In order to be eligible for door prizes you must e-mail keith@sawmillcreek.org that you are attending so your name can be entered in the pot.

Everyone should make an attempt to attend.

Looking forward to meeting all of you there.

Keith Outten
04-23-2005, 7:10 AM
Berea Hardwoods donated two flat top American solid Sterling Silver ballpoint pen kits. These will make beautiful pens for someone special.
http://www.bereahardwoods.com

Scott Rathburn
04-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Hello everybody, this is my first post. Would like to come down for the swap meet, looking for directions. I'll be coming from NJ. Can't seem to find them anywhere on the site.
Thanks
Scott

Keith Outten
04-24-2005, 7:20 AM
Scott,

I just scanned a wide area map for the web page and have already started emailing the local area map with the directions to our event. You need to send me an email with your name and address, I will respond with the map and event information.

Your email message will be printed and used for the FreeStuff drawings.

Keith Ratliff
04-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Keith,

I am still waiting on email direction to the swap meet. Could you please send them to me at keith@ratlifflogging.com please ASAP

Philip Duffy
04-25-2005, 5:10 AM
Of all the things to happen- - -I was chosen to show my goods and demo at the Art on the Half-Shell Show in Urbanna, VA that same day. Could not pass on my first juried show although I was torn and committed to the SMC Swap Meet. Such is life. Urbanna is not far up the Neck from Glouchester so some folks could stop on the way up, or down, and say hello. I'll be working from 8 to 5 and missing you guys.

Mike Tempel
04-30-2005, 7:19 AM
Too bad that you have to attend to be eligible to win something from the swap meet. I understand that it will certainly draw a bigger crowd that way but for those of us that can't attend it sure is a bummer. Know that we will be there in spirit though.

Aaron Koehl
05-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Too bad that you have to attend to be eligible to win something from the swap meet. I understand that it will certainly draw a bigger crowd that way but for those of us that can't attend it sure is a bummer. Know that we will be there in spirit though.
We did manage to make a few prizes available for those who can't attend. See thread/site for details.

Ted Shrader
05-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Keith -

Any idea on when you will get the e-mail out to attendees? Just want to make sure our names are on the list.

Ted

Ted Shrader
05-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Got it! Nevermind.... . . . :)

Dave Mcintire
05-02-2005, 9:31 PM
I looked at the map and the big red star is in the bay. Can I come by boat?
Seriously, can you be a little more specific on where it is? Will there be signs on Rt 17?

Thanks
Dave

Keith Outten
05-03-2005, 8:04 AM
Dave,

The wide area map indicates that our event is very close to the York River and if you prefer you can come by boat, we are about 500 yards from the Rivers edge.

You should have received a local map attached to the email I sent. The email also contains written directions from Route 17 to the event site. There will be signs posted from the Bena Post Office to the event. The email also provides us with a head count so we can better prepare for the number of people attending and serves as a means for selecting the drawing prizes.

I'm not trying to make this any harder than it needs to be but I just didn't want to publicly post directions to my home on the Net.

Bill Lewis
05-06-2005, 7:56 AM
Dave,
I'm not trying to make this any harder than it needs to be but I just didn't want to publicly post directions to my home on the Net.

Not a bad thought, can't blame you for that one.

Keith I've got a couple of questions. Will you have hats at the meet for sale?

Have you thought about maybe doing a 50/50 drawing at the meet to raise money for the web-site? That'd be fun.

Keith Outten
05-06-2005, 8:25 AM
Bill.

I'll have to ask Jackie if she has any hats, I think she normally orders just enough hats to fill orders. I expect we will be able to make sure that everyone has a little something to take home :)

I have never heard of a 50/50 drawing, maybe you can explain how it works.

Bill Lewis
05-06-2005, 9:08 AM
A 50/50 drawing is basically a raffle for money. The winner gets half of whatever money is collected by selling chances. Sell the chances for a dollar and you'll likely sell more than a dollar's worth to each participant. Hey, if you collect $100 or more and get to keep half of that and send one person home happy that's great. Often, when it's been for a good cause, I've seen people just let you keep the whole amount, and not take their winnings at all.

I was hoping to buy a hat while I was there. I messed up and missed out on the latest hat sale. :( If there aren't any, I'll wait til the next go-around.

Bill Turpin
05-09-2005, 9:47 PM
I will give the choice of a free catalpa bowl turning blank to the member who drives the longest distance to the swap-meet. :)

Bill in WNC mountains

Keith Outten
05-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Bill Lewis,

I spoke with Ken Salisbury and he will be bringing a roll of tickets, we'll try a 50/50 raffle and see what happens. Thanks for the idea.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Turpin,

Thanks for donating the bowl blank, we have at least a couple of people who are traveling a very long way, it will be interesting to see who the winner will be.

Ken Salisbury
05-10-2005, 6:19 AM
I will give the choice of a free catalpa bowl turning blank to the member who drives the longest distance to the swap-meet. :)

Bill in WNC mountains

If it is not more than 700 miles I win !!!

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smiley2.gif