PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Edmund Fitzgerald Nov 10, 1975

Rich Aldrich
11-10-2011, 8:49 PM
It was 36 years ago that the Edmund Fitzgerald met its end in Lake Superior along with 29 good people. I remember that night well and how the wind was blowing. My dad and grandfather were in my grandparents basement loading shells for deer season. I was 13, to young to hunt, but I went over with my dad to watch and learn. The wind was amazingly strong, the strongest I remember it ever blowing until that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw)

Tom Collins
11-10-2011, 9:15 PM
Rich, My wife and I were attending MI Tech at that time. I distinctly remember saying to my wife that if there were any ships out on the lake that night they were in trouble. Little did I know the news that would greet us in the morning! I have never experienced a storm like that since then.

TomC

Josh Bowman
11-10-2011, 9:26 PM
Yep, I was living up there then. We went out to eat that night. What a crappy night!! The little Marquette radio station was giving updates on the boats progress....very sad, when it reported the loss.

Jon McElwain
11-10-2011, 9:37 PM
23 days after I was born. My sister was born just a few days short of Mt. Saint Helen's eruption. Hmmm.....

Lee Koepke
11-10-2011, 10:08 PM
too young and too far south to have the same stories ... but its one of my favorite all time songs, and one of the most interesting documentaries I have seen on the History Channel!

jared herbert
11-10-2011, 10:29 PM
My now wife was living in Duluth at the time it happened. She said the waves were splashing over the top of the lift bridge at the entrance to the harbor that night. Last year we were on the north shore of Lake Superior and were at Split Rock light house for a special ceremony on Nov 10. They read all the names of the ships crew and a decendant of one of the crew was there and read her fathers name. It was nice

Ron Bontz
11-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks for posting.

Kent A Bathurst
11-12-2011, 7:45 AM
Good clip. Thanks.

We lived for a few years in downtown Detroit [Detroit-Detroit, not Birmingham-Detroit]. Worked in the Ren Cen in those days.........just yards from the Mariner's Church. You could stand outside and hear the bells at the memorial service.

Sitting 40 floors about the Detroit River gave a tremendous view of the shipping.......A guy in the office had a poster with the names/flags of all the active Great Lakes freighters.......initialed and dated by anyone that saw a ship that hadn't been recorded yet. Plus - we lived on the river by Belle Isle....another great vantage point....Stand on Belle Isle as a ship went by 100 yds from you. Those ships are astonishingly big when you are up close. I could never get my thoughts around the size and force of the seas that could sink one.

Larry Edgerton
11-12-2011, 7:59 AM
Lake Superior scares the heck out of me. I would run my trawler all over Lake Michigan and Huron, but I stayed out of Superior. It just looks angry.

I graduated in 1974 and live in a town that had a lot of great lakes seamen in the area. Didn't lose anyone local, but it still makes you think when you know people that do that job.

Larry

Myk Rian
11-12-2011, 8:16 AM
I remember the day the ship went down.
Been to the museum at Whitefish Pt. Solemn moments are not uncommon.

Jim Rimmer
11-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Great video. Thanks for posting. There is a lot behind the names and the faces. God be with the families.

Kevin Gregoire
11-14-2011, 12:46 AM
that was a great video and i love that song. i used to play it so much back in my 'cruising' days in my 68 chevelle and boss 302 powered maverick.
such a great mellow ballad by gordon lightfoot and such a great tribute to all those poor lost soles.

Bill Edwards(2)
11-14-2011, 7:18 AM
We've been on the sister ship that is docked at SSM. It has the danaged lifeboats
from the Fitzgerald. It's an interesting museum.